Water coming from boot latch

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Wookiee

Water coming from boot latch

Post by Wookiee » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:48 pm

Just opened the boot and had a load of water pour out of the boot latch once it was fully open. Seems to be rain water getting in there from somewhere, rather than washer fluid, but there's a worrying amount of it and it was there again after a short drive without there having been any more rain. Anyone else experienced this and should I be getting it looked at?
2018 Portfolio 25T; Firenze Red; ICTP 380; sliding pano roof; cold-climate pack; configurable dynamics; BSM; 20-way seats; privacy glass; adaptive dynamics; configurable mood lighting; spacesaver; LEDs; reclining rear seats; towbar

Jagscat2.0

Re: Water coming from boot latch

Post by Jagscat2.0 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:17 pm

Defo get it looked at Wookie,... there’s a few electrical systems in the boot,... camera, tail lights, wiper, tailgate lifting , and locking to name most of them!
You really don’t want any of that lot coming into contact with water that will potentially short out or longer term corrode stuff.

Very unusual that it’s just happened, and so much of it but your confident it’s not the washer fluid.
The only thing you could possibly do yourself is to remove the inner tailgate trim, and with the rear seats folded get someone to go over the car with a hose pipe on gentle slowly working up the back of the tailgate either side with you inside to see if you can see any leaks.

However if your still under warranty don’t risk invalidating it by taking things apart yourself.

Regards JC.
F pace owner 2016-19. Awaiting delivery of a P400e HSE. Hakuba silver, B/ pack, P/glass, F/pano, Self confessed car nut in therapy , prototype engineer, firearms range officer/instructor, wolf hybrid owner, champion of lost causes, who loves to complain !

MMXVI

Post by MMXVI » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:18 pm

It has happened to me after automatic car wash. I stopped visiting it and it has never happened again. I didn't find where the water leaks in from...

Wookiee

Post by Wookiee » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:16 pm

Jagscat2.0 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:17 pm
...However if your still under warranty don’t risk invalidating it by taking things apart yourself.
On extended warranty now, so it's probably something they can wriggle out of actually being covered. :( Will get it booked in.
2018 Portfolio 25T; Firenze Red; ICTP 380; sliding pano roof; cold-climate pack; configurable dynamics; BSM; 20-way seats; privacy glass; adaptive dynamics; configurable mood lighting; spacesaver; LEDs; reclining rear seats; towbar

KeithL

Post by KeithL » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:23 pm

I have had issues with water dripping from the tailgate, both the lock mechanism and the tailgate open/close button - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4505&p=61892&hilit=tailgate#p61892.

The dealer has looked into it several times. First time they fixed a grommet that wasn't seated properly and silicone sealed it. However, that didn't sort the problem and at a later date they discovered that the supplying dealer had decided to use different fixing holes to fit my personalised rear number plate but hadn't taped over the old holes which were letting in water. That seemed to sort the problem until a few weeks ago when I found water running out of the lock mechanism again. The dealer took another look but couldn't find anything. They said they could rack up huge costs and still not find anything so we are going to monitor the situation. I am going to whip the rear number plate off sometime and double check the spare holes are still taped over okay.

IMG_20210115_090844879.jpg

IMG_20190402_142930697.jpg

2017 2.0 i4 Diesel (180PS) Auto AWD Portfolio in Indus Silver with ICTP

Wookiee

Post by Wookiee » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:03 pm

Thanks Keith, that's really useful. I've got a private plate on mine as well so I'll take that off tomorrow and see what they've done.

KeithL

Post by KeithL » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:06 pm

I took my rear number plate off today and aside from the two holes the current plate uses there were two sets of two holes near the top (one square one round), both covered up - one with some stickers that I couldn't even get a finger nail under and the other set with a bit of electricians tape which I could easily get off. It looked like the inside had been taped over with duct tape. I don't think this is the cause of my problem but I taped over both sets with some duct tape just to be sure. I did remember to take a photograph, but only after I had screwed the number plate back on. :(

Have you taken a look behind your number plate yet to see if you have any uncovered holes?

Wookiee

Post by Wookiee » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:13 pm

KeithL wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:06 pm
Have you taken a look behind your number plate yet to see if you have any uncovered holes?
I haven't, I've been too lazy. I'll try to find time to do it and report back...

Coopsterdude

Post by Coopsterdude » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:03 pm

Had the same issue on my second car. Was from number plate holes that hadn't been sealed properly when my cherished plate was put on. Water gets in when the car is washed, rather than rain.
R Sport 25D Caesium Blue - Oyster & Black interior - Meridian Sound System and premium Nav, Pan Roof, 5035 20" alloys, Cold Climate Pack, Convenience Pack.

Gone: 180D Prestige BRG with Light Oyster Interior

KeithL

Post by KeithL » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:51 pm

Interesting. I suspected it had something to do with washing it which would explain why the garage could never reproduce it.