Engine noise on moving off

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Deltasierra

Re: Engine noise on moving off

Post by Deltasierra » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:15 pm

Corriescar.
I'm sure the standing start second gear in auto has been set up for economy and it is awful. Today I have been using Sport mode in manual starting in first gear and I have to ask why could they not have the option to do that on auto, it is so much better and I can't see why it would use more fuel.
Regarding changing down to overtake, flick the throttle it will change down one gear hold it for a few seconds then change back, irritating. Use the manual change down in auto it will go to 4 th gear, way over the top, it only needs one or two gears down on the 3.0d
Using sport mode in manual it will change up and down one gear at a time and is really fun to drive and very fast, switch back to D and cruise quietly.
Never having driven the 3.0 SC I cannot comment on any differences, overtaking on the diesel I can cope with but I do hate the second gear start, the handling and quiet cruising make up for those shortcomings, it is a good car.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

mik

Post by mik » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:49 am

As it has been discussed above - a link to help those looking for a discussion on the 3.0d starting in 1st or 2nd. click

I think there must be different gearbox maps as several folks are adamant their cars pull away in 2nd. Our 3.0dS definitely pulls away in first - as can be seen in the two vids I posted (the link takes you to p4 of the conversation where the vids are)
2017 F-Pace 3.0D S for her
2014 Lotus Evora S SportsRacer for him

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:19 am

Fascinating thread and I now feel the need to go out and conduct a small test of my own :lol:
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:55 am

mik wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:49 am
As it has been discussed above - a link to help those looking for a discussion on the 3.0d starting in 1st or 2nd. click

I think there must be different gearbox maps as several folks are adamant their cars pull away in 2nd. Our 3.0dS definitely pulls away in first - as can be seen in the two vids I posted (the link takes you to p4 of the conversation where the vids are)
When I first had the 3.0D I did try a quick standing start in Dynamic mode, it did start in second gear then changed down into first, revs hit the limiter then changed up, very dramatic and unpleasant, not something I have ever repeated. Maybe I didn't press hard enough to force it into 1st, selecting manual first makes a quick start much more progressive and predictable on those occasions.
I would be surprised if gearbox maps vary between cars but it would be nice if they could give us the choice of 1st or 2nd gear start, there are plenty of other selectable options adding that one would get my vote.

Do any FPace drivers actually like 2nd gear start?
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:33 pm

Deltasierra wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:55 am
Do any FPace drivers actually like 2nd gear start?
Mine spends most of its life inside the M25 in a mix of slow or very slow urban conditions interspersed with 40-50 mph dual carraigeway and some short local motorway and occasional long motorway trips. Around town and in slow urban and semi-urban driving I can't say it bothers me at all as I stopped racing away from traffic lights in my Golf VR6 in my 20's. Honestly :lol:

The rest of the time the car performs great on the open road with excellent smooth power and acceleration 20-70mph
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Jagcop

Post by Jagcop » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:22 pm

I am experiencing a similar problem with the two litre petrol engine. The lag, especially between deceleration and acceleration is sometimes quite un-nerving. I now use the steering paddles when wanting an immediate overtake which works fine. Trying to overtake on South Devon roads where instant response is essential is not only impossible but quite dangerous. Pity really as without that problem I am pleased with the petrol engine (250bhp) .

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”