Cracked Panoramic Roof

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
chimchimcheroo
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: The Flat Fens

Cracked Panoramic Roof

Post by chimchimcheroo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 pm

20170811_173254.jpg

Opened the blind and it had developed a crack in the glass overnight

It's an interior crack. Taken it back to the dealer and driving a manual replacement

Got no idea how it happened. No impact mark and it's fine from the outside
2.0d Auto RWD Portfolio, 20" 10 spoke wheels, BRG, Adaptive Dynamics, Privacy Glass, Leds, 20 way seat pack, Black interior, Oyster headlining, Remote rear release, ICTP 380, Rubber mats, Loadspace scuff plate, fixed sidesteps, Dual view screen


Renesis
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:33 am

Re: Cracked Panoramic Roof

Post by Renesis » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:59 pm

Oh dear! Will that be a warranty job then or insurance?
Italian Racing Red 3.0d S


DPE
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: Cracked Panoramic Roof

Post by DPE » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:05 pm

Was there an impact on the glass at anytime ?
F Pace 3.0d S AWD, Corris Grey, Heated Seats front/Rear, Heated Steering Wheel, Panoramic roof, Space Saver wheel and Nice wheels, lots of Stuff.. and cup covers 8-)


chimchimcheroo
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: The Flat Fens

Re: Cracked Panoramic Roof

Post by chimchimcheroo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:40 pm

Renesis wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:59 pm
Oh dear! Will that be a warranty job then or insurance?
I'm hoping warranty if it proves to be defective. They're having a look on Monday at the dealers
2.0d Auto RWD Portfolio, 20" 10 spoke wheels, BRG, Adaptive Dynamics, Privacy Glass, Leds, 20 way seat pack, Black interior, Oyster headlining, Remote rear release, ICTP 380, Rubber mats, Loadspace scuff plate, fixed sidesteps, Dual view screen


JLRnumber5
Posts: 4107
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Cracked Panoramic Roof

Post by JLRnumber5 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:43 pm

Do you drive anywhere where the car is subjected to a high degree of flexing? My parents have a very steep drive that you have to approach at an angle so at one point the front offside wheel is starting quite a climb and all others are still on the flat. Every time I did it in both F Paces the pano roof would let out a really loud cracking sounds. Scared me first time. Nothing ever happened though.
Two rejected FP 3.0 V6 Diesel S. Still a massive JLR fan but driving an Audi until Jaguar gets its act together.


chimchimcheroo
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: The Flat Fens

Re: Cracked Panoramic Roof

Post by chimchimcheroo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:46 pm

DPE wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:05 pm
Was there an impact on the glass at anytime ?
Not that I can see. It wasn't parked under anything.

The glass has cracked from the bottom of the panel so inside the cabin.

I've checked outside and there are no impact marks. In fact you can't see the crack from the outside
2.0d Auto RWD Portfolio, 20" 10 spoke wheels, BRG, Adaptive Dynamics, Privacy Glass, Leds, 20 way seat pack, Black interior, Oyster headlining, Remote rear release, ICTP 380, Rubber mats, Loadspace scuff plate, fixed sidesteps, Dual view screen


chimchimcheroo
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:48 pm
Location: The Flat Fens

Re: Cracked Panoramic Roof

Post by chimchimcheroo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:02 am

JLRnumber5 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:43 pm
Do you drive anywhere where the car is subjected to a high degree of flexing? My parents have a very steep drive that you have to approach at an angle so at one point the front offside wheel is starting quite a climb and all others are still on the flat. Every time I did it in both F Paces the pano roof would let out a really loud cracking sounds. Scared me first time. Nothing ever happened though.
The driveway has a slight incline, nothing dramatic but I can't recall ever hearing any noises

I spoke to the service manager at the dealers who said that he hadn't come across a panoramic roof cracking on the inside before

Very annoying and inconvenient
2.0d Auto RWD Portfolio, 20" 10 spoke wheels, BRG, Adaptive Dynamics, Privacy Glass, Leds, 20 way seat pack, Black interior, Oyster headlining, Remote rear release, ICTP 380, Rubber mats, Loadspace scuff plate, fixed sidesteps, Dual view screen


Deltasierra
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Warwick UK

Re: Cracked Panoramic Roof

Post by Deltasierra » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:39 am

chimchimcheroo wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:02 am
JLRnumber5 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:43 pm
Do you drive anywhere where the car is subjected to a high degree of flexing? My parents have a very steep drive that you have to approach at an angle so at one point the front offside wheel is starting quite a climb and all others are still on the flat. Every time I did it in both F Paces the pano roof would let out a really loud cracking sounds. Scared me first time. Nothing ever happened though.
The driveway has a slight incline, nothing dramatic but I can't recall ever hearing any noises

I spoke to the service manager at the dealers who said that he hadn't come across a panoramic roof cracking on the inside before

Very annoying and inconvenient
Classic " never seen that before" the stock response to everything

It must be laminated glass which is not at all flexible like toughened, if the body flexes enough to make roof noises that will be a long term problem
F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible


Jagfpacejk
Posts: 4098
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Cracked Panoramic Roof

Post by Jagfpacejk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:39 pm

I have read else where that the Evoques had the same issues when I owned one, maybe worth doing a google search as I am sure they would have some answers to what happened to them.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6


RaVolVoR
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:15 pm
Location: SE London/Kent

Re: Cracked Panoramic Roof

Post by RaVolVoR » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Deltasierra wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:39 am
It must be laminated glass which is not at all flexible like toughened, if the body flexes enough to make roof noises that will be a long term problem
Given the glass sits in a frame and is on runners (assuming it is opening roof) just how far would the body have to "move" to make this sort of effect on the glass. We're talking measurements of many millimetres to transfer the required bending force to the glass.

I'd suggest its an original fit fault from assembly and maybe a temperature change killed it off and challenge the dealer to demonstrate anything else as a cause if they try to charge you for the glass.

I'd better ask, you didn't fired a champagne cork into the roof when you bought the car did you? :lol: :lol: that could do it!
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!


Post Reply

Return to “Faults & Technical”


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cooljules and 3 guests