P400e with ceramic coating

Post pictures of your F-Pace here
Insomnia

Re: P400e with ceramic coating

Post by Insomnia » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:26 pm

Oh wow, that looks amazing! You must be very pleased with it? I can't stop admiring mine when it's just had a wash and polish! :D
I've been toying with the idea of treating mine to this type of treatment, and you may have just pushed me over the edge. I doubt the results will be quite the same on a 3 1/2 year old variant, but I'm sure it will make a considerable difference.
The only doubt I have is there's a small paint chip in off-side rear door, so am not sure what this will look like post-treatment or if i should get a chips away style repair first.
But this about your fabulous new ride - Enjoy!
3.0d S, Carpathian, Ebony - Oyster, Black Double Helix, Pano & a few other toys 8-)

jimbean222

Post by jimbean222 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:32 pm

Thanks for your kind comments. Re paint chips - even though mine was a week old when it went to the detailer it has a couple of tiny paint chips on the back ( he could even tell what direction the stone came from) which he thought would likely have been caused in transport. I didn’t have them treated but with the ceramic coating you can see a pinprick of a dip in the coating where the chip was. I guess the initial polishing of the car would likely indicate the amount of work required on the paint pre any coating going on.
As an aside, he told me that the paint was an excellent even thickness right across the car - something which I know hasn’t always been the case with Jaguars I’ve previously owned.
P400e in Santorini Black. R Dynamic Black Pack. Tech Pack, Tow Bar, Red Brake Calipers, Cabin Ionisation, Park Assist, Pixel LED Headlights.

Chris_32

Post by Chris_32 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:11 pm

Hi,

Can I ask how much this was? Will it help protect the paint finish from light scratching and chips after it’s done? Just trying to weigh up options as to whether to get something like this done to our new f pace. (Still on order) Also, is this the dealership one or a private company that you sourced yourself? Thanks.

jimbean222

Post by jimbean222 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:00 pm

Hi Chris,
The pain protection is Gyeon Duraflex Ceramic. It has to be applied by a Gyeon certified detailer to keep its 4 year guarantee.
It can’t be washed for at least 6 weeks after it has be applied and there are specific instructions on how it can be washed thereafter. Non of which are too onerous and their aftercare products are no more expensive than most others. After the 6 weeks are up and the product fully cured the detailer inspects and addresses any imperfections.
It will not protect against chips but will protect against light scratches and swirling subject to you following their washing regime and not taking it through car washes etc.
Paint correction has to take place before it can be applied, so think of it as locking in that perfect paint surface with a much harder coating (JLR paints are one of the softer paints).
I had an additional pack which included wheel rim protection inside and out, leather and glass protection.
It was done by an experienced professional detailer (not the dealership) at 2-3 times the cost of the pack the dealership offered. Time will tell if it was worth it, but as I said in a previous post I looked at it as the price of a coffee and a pastry once a week for the life of my ownership of the car.
I know that some will go down the projective film route but that would be at least £3500. Much as I love the new car I simply can’t justify that.
Its is not for everybody and that’s completely fine but if it is worth anything one of our friends saw the pictures you saw and has booked their car in for the identical package. It was via personal recommendation that led me to have this applied to my car.
P400e in Santorini Black. R Dynamic Black Pack. Tech Pack, Tow Bar, Red Brake Calipers, Cabin Ionisation, Park Assist, Pixel LED Headlights.

Chris_32

Post by Chris_32 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:00 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely look into it. We have a detailer who does wash our current car at the moment and he’s offered to apply a paint protector, not sure of brand, he will do it cheaper than the dealership one but I’m just looking into levels of protection offered and overall cost. Like you, I just can’t justify £3k+ more on top of the cost of the car. I would like some protection against light scratches if possible and obviously for as little outlay as possible. Just trying to get the cost/protection ratio right!

Wookiee

Post by Wookiee » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:48 pm

jimbean222 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:01 pm
How did you find the P-Zeros re grip, noise etc? I only ever had Continentals on my previous F Pace.
Personally, I think they're rubbish, particularly in cooler weather. They seem to make the Ackerman effect worse. I'll be replacing mine with Contis or Michelin Cross-Climates when the time comes.
2018 Portfolio 25T; Firenze Red; ICTP 380; sliding pano roof; cold-climate pack; configurable dynamics; BSM; 20-way seats; privacy glass; adaptive dynamics; configurable mood lighting; spacesaver; LEDs; reclining rear seats; towbar

jimbean222

Post by jimbean222 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:19 pm

Thanks Wookie. They seem quieter but that might just be the sound deadening software the new car is running. However grip might be a different story, as last week the back end started to step out on me as I booted out of a roundabout. It corrected itself but this had never happened to me on my last Continental shod F pace albeit that was a 100hp less.

JOCK55

Post by JOCK55 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:51 am

Wookiee wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:48 pm
Personally, I think they're rubbish, particularly in cooler weather. They seem to make the Ackerman effect worse. I'll be replacing mine with Contis or Michelin Cross-Climates when the time comes.
!00% support this view. Pirelli are not fit for British roads or climate.
MY19 R-SPORT, Caesium Blue, Ingenium i4 300PS Turbo Petrol, AWD with all the bells and whistles.