Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says Workshop Manuals - has anyone bought one and if so which one?
Further more have you found it both useful and accurate?

I have found these:-

Jaguar F-Pace X761 PDF Workshop Service & Repair Manual 2016-2021 - easymanuals.co.uk

If anyone has any experience of these manuals I would love to hear what you think.
Thanks in advance.

Nick

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have used the Easy Manual for my 3 ltr diesel, it is very comprehensive 11k+ pages. The main issue is that it is PDF format & locating what you want by a search is a bit hit & miss, eg oil filter, there may be a hundred references & you have to trawl through to find the one relevant to you. Once located though, if you note the page number it is easier to find for the next time.
I may buy the Haynes as well to see if it is an easier format. :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve, Thank you for the reply. As a preference I would always prefer an actual paper manual but I guess that’s not the modern way. Shame.
I see that the Haynes is described as an ‘Online’ purchase which I suppose means that it too will be in PDF format.
As a long time Haynes user I think that I shall try them first.
As an aside I still have my ‘Haynes Guide to Used Sports Cars Vols 1 & 2’ from 1964. They were written when he was still a serving RAF officer at South Cerney.
Anyway I digress so thanks again for the reply. With luck some other member of this forum will be able to give us relevant information about the Haynes manual for our cars.

Nick

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have used haynes books from the 60's for minis total reverse engineering there - I looked at one from the 90s - here is how to remvoe and install the enigen:

remove 4 nuts holding the bonnet on
remove bonnet
remove engine
fitting is reverse of removal.

you would be better off getting a day pass for about £30 for the official factory docs and download them all.

Vehicle | TOPIx

·
Super Moderator
5,059 Posts
Nick,

What part of the manual are you after as over the years many have posted on this site parts of the manual covering certain aspects of the car, you may find what your after is already listed on the site.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, and thank you for the good suggestion. I’m interested in the rear tailgate as water seems to collect in the upper part of it and when the tailgate is opened the water drains out. I want to find out where the water is getting in and more importantly why it is not draining away.
See posts 30 to 36 of the following thread:-

However I have always buy a manual for every car that I have owned and my F Pace will, hopefully, not be an exception as quite honestly I like to read them and learn stuff. its an anorak thing!!

Thank you for the suggestion and if you know where these pages can be found please post a link as both @KeithL and myself will be very interested.

Nick

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just got time to look at easy manual.
the screen shot looks to be menu based rather than PDF.
the description does say PDF so that is a PITA.
there must be that program somewhere, guessing its a screen shot from the dealer as it looks very like elsa i have for audi

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
swalker86, Thank you for the info. I guess all these ‘cheap’ and downloadable manuals will be much of a muchness and probably have the same origins. I guess I’ll just have to have a gamble on one of them as it would seem that good old Haynes is not the force it used to be and is more than twice the price. Understandable I suppose given the way cars have changed over the years.
Twenty plus years ago I was more than happy to pull engines out, rebuild steering racks and wire in standalone ECUs etc etc. Not now - age and technology have put paid to all that fun. Damn.
Thanks again for your input.

Nick

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think i am in the same boat lol.
I seen the easy manual on ebay and the description stated it was as is in the screen shot - so i messaged them to se if it is interactive with workign links in the body of the doc ( like my elsa) or just a 1k+ page PDF like the Landrover workshop manual i got.
I will let you know

Reactions: nicknack

·
Registered
83 Posts
clear as mud - conversation with easy manuals via ebay:-

Hi There, the description states it is PDF like the screen shots - does it have the menu on the left with interactive links, and the embedded links in the body of the document working?
or is it a 1K+ page document?
Thanks​

Yes, it is a PDF with the menu on the left.

@FP Steve B do yo uhave the menu with working links?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Stewart, Thanks for the update and sorry to say I'm not surprised at the reply you received.
The more I look at adverts for these manuals the more I'm convinced that they all have the same illegitimate parent. They are all over eBay and other places. I suppose that if I stopped being a tight arse and stumped up for the Haynes then at least I could legitimately complain if it was substandard.
For now I'm going to wait and see if @FP Steve B replies to say if he has a good and properly working copy. If he doesn't then it will have to Haynes.
First the operation to extend my short arms to reach down into my deep pockets!:cry:

Thanks again.

Nick

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Stewart, Thanks for the update and sorry to say I'm not surprised at the reply you received.
The more I look at adverts for these manuals the more I'm convinced that they all have the same illegitimate parent. They are all over eBay and other places. I suppose that if I stopped being a tight arse and stumped up for the Haynes then at least I could legitimately complain if it was substandard.
For now I'm going to wait and see if @FP Steve B replies to say if he has a good and properly working copy. If he doesn't then it will have to Haynes.
First the operation to extend my short arms to reach down into my deep pockets!:cry:

Thanks again.

Nick
All, I have now got the Easy Manuals to work a bit as you have to have the 'right' PDF viewer in order to access the menus.
I've also just purchased the Haynes online manual. It has quite a lot of good information but, in my view, has a few downsides when compared to a printed version ( I have one for the other half's Mini). The Haynes manual can only be accessed on their site, ie you cannot download it onto your PC or phone.
Secondly there are no photos ie it is not based on a complete stripdown & rebuild as the Mini one is.
So, for example, I wanted to see how to change my diesel fuel filter but the Haynes manual only shows 'generic' descriptions & diagrams for a cartridge filter & an integral filter. I wanted to see how to access the F Pace filter as it is mounted on the front nearside suspension turret & obscured by plastic trim.
In conclusion I think you pays your money & takes your choice, they both have good information & for £45 ish for both you will have all the information currently available! :cool:

Reactions: swalker86

·
Registered
83 Posts
I looked at the hynes and was impressed but the video did state it wasn't a strip down method but different approach - thanks for clearing up what that is.
I had also wondered about where it was hosted - on the Haynes website is not ideal when in the garage. Looks like i will go for the easy manual,
i was going to do topix but that would be a load of downloads, harder to flick through than a book which put me off bu tit is dealer docs.

I think i will give the easy manual a go.

Reactions: nicknack

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both, Thanks for helping to clear up my thoughts. Now I know why the Haynes only showed computer drawn images. They are of no use to me and compared to the Haynes of yesteryear are a no no. So its the easy manual for me as well. At least I will be able to print off the odd page or two whilst doing things.

Thanks again.

Nick

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread it is somethign i have had in the back of my head and didnt know about easy manual. I will have to get it downloaded and sorted before i need it..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hmm!
" thank you for the good suggestion. I’m interested in the rear tailgate as water seems to collect in the upper part of it and when the tailgate is opened the water drains out. I want to find out where the water is getting in and more importantly why it is not draining away."
I'd be intetested to know if you find an answer to this - my 2018 car has done this since the day I bought it 2 years old...
I just assumed it was the gas strut casings filling up, or something "not harmful" happening???
I understood the tailgate was a polymer moulding, not metal - am I correct?
It's not a major issue, as the water drains into the side gutters, without getting the boot/trunk wet, but I have to watch out to not stick my head into the boot too quickly after opening it !😉

Advice from experienced owners would be appreciated !!!
TIA,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi tim4lymm, I think you need this thread:-

If you look at post 30 onwards you will see some info on your problem.
As yet i don’t know where the water is being stored but when I get my manual I intend to have a good look. Roll on warmer weather.

Nick

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmm!
" thank you for the good suggestion. I’m interested in the rear tailgate as water seems to collect in the upper part of it and when the tailgate is opened the water drains out. I want to find out where the water is getting in and more importantly why it is not draining away."
I'd be intetested to know if you find an answer to this - my 2018 car has done this since the day I bought it 2 years old...
I just assumed it was the gas strut casings filling up, or something "not harmful" happening???
I understood the tailgate was a polymer moulding, not metal - am I correct?
It's not a major issue, as the water drains into the side gutters, without getting the boot/trunk wet, but I have to watch out to not stick my head into the boot too quickly after opening it !😉

Advice from experienced owners would be appreciated !!!
TIA,
The tailgate is indeed a plastic construction, needed for the lower weight to allow for the remote or button open close facility. I’m not convinced they are gas struts as in the sort that hold the bonnet open, sure they are some sort of hybrid thing with either a hydraulic pump to pressurise or a screw thread type internals, that’s why we get the motor noise on opening or closing. Happy to be corrected. I think some of the trapped water is rear spoiler related, as after washing, when opening the boot, the water is always coming from the top spoiler area not the bottom, and I know that the water will travel there when opening due the the magic of gravity, but it comes from nowhere else. Again, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BigT.

The tailgate is indeed a plastic construction, needed for the lower weight to allow for the remote or button open close facility. I’m not convinced they are gas struts as in the sort that hold the bonnet open, sure they are some sort of hybrid thing with either a hydraulic pump to pressurise or a screw thread type internals, that’s why we get the motor noise on opening or closing. Happy to be corrected. I think some of the trapped water is rear spoiler related, as after washing, when opening the boot, the water is always coming from the top spoiler area not the bottom, and I know that the water will travel there when opening due the the magic of gravity, but it comes from nowhere else. Again, just my thoughts.
Agreed, this is also my understanding. The first time i noticed the water draining out I went looking for a blocked drain hole but couldn’t find one hence my post (s) on the above mentioned thread. As soon as I get to the bottom of this I’ll post. However don’t hold your breath as it is too cold to go playing with water plus I’m inclined to procrastinate!

Nick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts