Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the thoughts on window tinting the front windows to Match or compliment the privacy glass

Has anyone ever been pulled by the law for having tinted windows on the front?

Approx costs for having the front 2 tinted ?

I am thinking of getting a semi shade on the fronts

Next Sunday is collection day for me

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
My thoughts are that it's illegal for good reason.

I hate it when approaching a car that waiting to turn into traffic and they have tints on the front windows. You can't make eye contact and see if they've registered you are approaching. Even worse for motorbike riders and pedestrians.

Also worth noting it could invalidate your insurance.

·
Banned
444 Posts
I had a matching tint film applied to my front side windows, not the windscreen! No issues it gives me a little more privacy and looks great. They can be easily removed if any issues arise!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I wouldn't do it on principle - it's illegal and so that's that for me.

However, some bright spark chose to do it on his car that we saw when we pulled into a service station in Belgium a couple of years ago. The police, in no uncertain terms, made him peel the film off of his front windows then and there. Pretty assertive, I can tell you! Left a terrible mess on the glass afterwards but quite right - better that than a dead motorbike rider hit in the half-light when the car driver is making a right turn from a T junction (well, left turn if it's Belgium but you get my meaning). The law is there for a reason and, whilst I am a sucker for beauty, not at the price of the safety of others.

Sorry, but I feel pretty strongly about this one and, as many of you know on this forum, that's quite rare for me. But I ride my bike regularly and I am always nervous at the behaviour of car drivers as I approach junctions, having been knocked off my bike when I was a teenager coming home from school when the driver didn't bother to look properly on a sweeping junction. My trick, which I have learned over the years, is to make that all important eye contact with the driver. It's crucial and its research / evidence based. Privacy glass tint, beyond the legal limit, prevents that from being possible.

Frankly, front window tinting in the UK is for people who have chosen to pimp their ride. It's the preserve of kids in Vauxhall Corsa's not a brand new Jaguar F-Pace 3.0 S. Oh, and the occasional ancient Audi A6 still on Eastern European plates hurtling down the M6 in the outside lane. I have no desire to join that club.

Arianne

·
Banned
444 Posts
Well we are all entitled to our own views I guess. I have it with a much darker tint on my F-Type R Coupe and it really looks good, in fact a lot of the Jaguar promo pictures and videos display the F-Type with tinted glass all round.

·
Banned
444 Posts
I have owned and used my F-Type R Coupe for over 18 months and never had an issue with the authorities with the tinted windows, even when stopped for speeding! (They let me off by the way) :lol:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Manufacturers' literature and web pages often show the cars with front privacy glass because it looks good. Well it does to me and Russell too, by the sound of it.

But the law on front window tinting isn't uniform across all countries and so images are, as they say, not always country specific and specification changes between different markets. And that is the manufacturers' trump card that allows them to parade their most beautiful configuration.

You're right, we are all entitled to our opinions which is why living in the UK is generally a great experience for us all. We're an eclectic lot but that's one of our great strengths.

As for my example of the 'ancient Audi A6', it's just observable fact - nothing more. Observed by me, Mrs A and the lad on many of our journeys including various jaunts on DFDS Newcastle to Amsterdam at Xmas / New Year when we go skiing and the annual Xmas migration of visiting workers occurs when folk want to go home to their families in Eastern European countries.

Regards

Arianne

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Russell said:
I have owned and used my F-Type R Coupe for over 18 months and never had an issue with the authorities with the tinted windows, even when stopped for speeding! (They let me off by the way) :lol:
They let you off simply because you drive that gorgeous F-Type. It's the law here in Britain - a Jaguar F-Type driver should not be booked. Now if you were driving a Porsche it would have been very different.

Best wishes,

Arianne

·
Registered
441 Posts
Contary to opions expressed it is NOT illegal to tint your front windows
To answer the question asked initially ----- £30 per window is about the going rate.
30% tint looks fine on the front windows of the F Pace and is legal.
If Plod does question the grading of the tint if you have them darker they need a meter to prove the % of light passing through the glass and as there are so few traffic cars around anymore that carry this equipment the chance of confrontation is zero.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
A 30% tint would likely put you on the wrong side of the law. Since 70% of light has to pass through the front windows to be legal and even clear glass has a natural filter of somewhere around 10%. In fact most glass fitted as standard to new cars filters around 15-20% so to be sure you are staying on the right side of the law you wouldn't want to apply anything beyond a further 10%

Also to consider is how to tint. Film can be dangerous as it changes the properties of how the glass breaks.

It's better and safer to leave well alone.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
There are quite a few views on here about this but best advise, if you go to a reputable window tinting company they will let you know what you can and can not have on any windows, they will have the correct meter to check your existing glass and tell you what you can and can not have to stay the right side of the law.

It's the upto you what you have fitted.

As for other road users and the way they see you or you see them will be down to personal views, we all have them and they no doubt will differ.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great response! Good info
Thanks Guys & Gals

1 - 14 of 14 Posts