Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I've been playing on the configurator for a while now. There's quite an array of things to consider!!
In reality though I would like the First Edition as I love the colour and one would assume the spec should be pretty good.
However, why is it only available with a Diesel engine?? I would have thought it would come with the supercharged petrol being as it's the First Edition, then again what do I know!
Anyway, I'll be going to one of the F Pace launches (18 Feb) to have a look. And a look is all it will be as you're not allowed a test drive on the day.......
I'm also interested in what cars you're all coming from. B8 RS4 for me which I absolutely love so for me to consider changing, the F Pace is going to have to be very very good!

·
Registered
381 Posts
The spec on the FE is of course very good but there are some options missing which are important to some.

If you can get past the absence of the Caesium Blue than a good number of people are spec'ing an S to their own requirements not those prescribed on the the 'like it or lump it' FE spec. Of course, you can then spec the F-Type S's V6 which coming from an RS4 I'm assuming you would go for?

Oh, coming from an Evoque. Ordered a 3.0d S.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul,
Yes, I would order the supercharged petrol, so, for me, it would be the S. I just love the FE colour though but not enough to have the Diesel engine.
Ticking the boxes on the configurator brought me to nearly 70k which brings it in line with a RRS HSE Dynamic. Will it be as good as one of them I'm asking myself. The RS I have replaced a RRS I had. The Sport was a great car but bloody massive and where I live, a pain to park and drive around. My wife wouldn't drive it because it was so big!
It was nice when I had it as they were really rare a couple of years ago. They're everywhere now (especially round my way!)
Hoping the Jag will be exclusive for a while at least and that I actually like it.
Respect to you and the other people who have ordered without a test drive. I did that once and lived to regret it! (Not JLR product!)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've considered the V6 petrol particularly as I largely do short runs of about 8-10,000 miles per year and of course it's exactly the same price as the V6 D S so the old analogy of a diesel car costing more to buy and service isn't relevant in this case.

What is relevant is low 20's MPG for my short runs versus potentially 35-40, balanced against the awesome (if a little toned-down) sound and pace of the F-Type's V6.

Finance-wise the petrol actually comes about with a higher re-sale after 3 years (albeit only around £300), then there's the higher tax to off-set

What is comes down with is whether I could live with that fuel economy for the power and sound whilst also questioning what is the future of large diesel motors and diesel at all when I come to sell on 4 years later? Now that is more of a concern.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Interesting view Paul, I've got a S 3:0 diesel in the holding pool and wondering if I should swap to petrol now??

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was tempted with the petrol S mainly for the extra performance and sound. In the past I've had an Audi S5 (with 4.2 litre V8) and A45 AMG but the touring range was 250-300 miles and I got very friendly with my local petrol station! The A45 needed RON 98 super unleaded which added to the extra expense. So I've chosen a diesel S - with it's better economy and lower road tax it'll be a little cheaper to run...

·
Registered
381 Posts
DAL said:
Interesting view Paul, I've got a S 3:0 diesel in the holding pool and wondering if I should swap to petrol now??
IS DIESEL DEAD? That's the question !

It's all but dead before it started in the US after VW-gate. However, not so (I hope) in Europe, at least yet

It is certainly true the manufacturers have been more focused on developing all-Electric, hybrid and small turbo petrol engines over the last few years and there's only so far you can go to make diesel a cleaner technology. Also, I'm not convinced the UK Government will not target diesel for taxation in the very near future due to its dirty reputation (OH MATRON!).

JLR is the exception perhaps spending £££'s on Ingenium and having to prioritise the 2.0d for the XE/ Evoque/ Disco Sport and F-Pace but this was necessary as until recently they were tied to Ford engines by contract and they had no other option than to make their own and become independent. They will be developing 6-cyl diesel and also 4 and 4 cyl petrol's as soon as they can but demand is killing their development programme I would imagine.

All that humble opinion stated the V6 diesel in the F-Pace, although an older Ford unit, has been refreshed several times, is cleaner than its German counterparts and the press seem to rate it. Arguably, better in the real world than the V6 petrol and with a touch of fruity exhaust note too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not bothered about the fuel economy to be honest. If I was I wouldn't have an RS!
The range in mine is about 200 to 250 miles if touring 'spiritedly' and probably around the 200 mark around town.
But I do like the noise!
Don't know what the fuel tank capacity is on the F Pace but it's probably more than the RS so fuel stops shouldn't be quite so frequent.
The RRS I had was a diesel though and I would assume pretty much the same engine as the F Pace diesel 3.0 litre.
Have to say though that it was rather good and pretty rapid. I would have liked the 5.0 litre supercharged but couldn't bring myself to drop over £85 K on one.
Maybe it's just me but if a car is designated sport or pace, shouldn't that imply petrol?? :D
Looking forward to having a drive in one. Shame it won't be until at least April.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Interested to read the diesel v petrol discussions. I've only ever driven one diesel car regularly, although the last 4 cars him indoors has had as daily drivers have all been diesels. All the cars I've owned and run have been petrol.

My current car has 18 months to run on the PCP and I'm starting to research options as I'd like to keep the next car long term. (Since I sold my Audi RS2 in 8 years ago, I haven't kept a car more than 2 years). So I've been considering the new A4 Allroad due out this summer, an X3 (new model due in 2017 I think), and possibly an X5 having driven one off-road at Goodwood. I think I want to buy new - the last 3 cars have all been nearly-new. I need something with reasonable ground clearance to get down the horrible rutted private road to the livery yard where I keep my horses (currently him indoors uses his X3 when we go to and fro the yard). I'd like an automatic (something like the 8 speed XF, as him indoors doesn't want dual clutch) with all wheel drive too. I did think about the Macan but I don't really like the looks and the cost of Porsche extras put me off.

I really want a petrol given potential DPF and Adblue issues but most of the cars I've been looking at to get the combination of all wheel drive and a non-dual clutch gearbox have a diesel engine. Started looking at the F-Pace as an option thinking about the Portfolio or R-Spec versions but that would mean a diesel. The V6 petrol is very tempting but I've never spent that much on a car and I'm not sure I can justify it. Going away to spec a Portfolio and R Spec diesel and the V6 S.

I like the idea of a supercharged V6.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The MPG is not an issue as I only do 9000 per annum. It was Paul's comment on the residual that caught my eye. If that is true I'll be taking a petrol for the extra fun factor...

·
Registered
203 Posts
The "Is diesel dead?" discussion has been going on for years: here's an article in The Telegraph from 2010:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/green-motoring/7166444/Is-diesel-dead.html

It seems that the topic was re-ignited after the VW emissions scandal.

The new Euro-6 (EU6) standards came into force in September 2015. This limits nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions from new diesel cars to bring down air pollution levels that breach health regulations in many EU cities.

On it's website Jaguar states that all newly introduced vehicles will meet EU6 standards, so this (obviously) includes the F-Pace.

Weaning the UK off diesel won't be easy: the economy is good and in-gear performance addictive so I'll be sticking to diesel (for now anyway!!)

P.S. Here's an interesting fact to mull over this weekend:
"It would take 42m Euro-6 diesel cars (almost four times the number on the roads) to generate the same amount of NOx as one UK coal-fired power station," says the Diesel Facts website.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.