Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, I have the ICTP but without SIM facility, however the screen is capable of displaying WI FI Hotspot ON of OFF.

I am able to connect my phone to the internet but needless to say obtain no signal, despite the full signal bars confirming the connection. What is the purpose of this if the car has no internet connection?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi Russell,
I don't understand how you can have ICTP but no sim facility - you need to insert your own sim with either a pre-loaded data allowance or get one on a contract. Then your car will be able to communicate and if you have set up the account with Jaguar you can contact it via the phone apps etc.

Back to the wifi hotspot - if you set this to 'on' then you can connect other devices onto it - just as you would at home so they can benefit from the cars data signal which benefits from the cars built in aeriel so in theory a better connection BUT the car will only work up to 3G, so in fact you may be able to connect another say iphone which gets its own 4G signal to share a data service through the car at 3G

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pos.k said:
Hi Russell,
I don't understand how you can have ICTP but no sim facility - you need to insert your own sim with either a pre-loaded data allowance or get one on a contract. Then your car will be able to communicate and if you have set up the account with Jaguar you can contact it via the phone apps etc.

Back to the wifi hotspot - if you set this to 'on' then you can connect other devices onto it - just as you would at home so they can benefit from the cars data signal which benefits from the cars built in aeriel so in theory a better connection BUT the car will only work up to 3G, so in fact you may be able to connect another say iphone which gets its own 4G signal to share a data service through the car at 3G
Wrong! For me anyway, I can connect to my 4G Personal Hotspot but it doesn't work! :oops:

·
Registered
458 Posts
AshleyR said:
Pos.k said:
Hi Russell,

Wrong! For me anyway, I can connect to my 4G Personal Hotspot but it doesn't work! :oops:
Mine does!
There are 2 issues here
firstly having a sim, that connects for the car to communicate directly with the web.
The alternative which I presume you are describing is that you have enabled your personal hotspot on your phone or are using an external 4G mifi device or whatever. In that event you can connect your cars wifi to the external wifi network provided by your phone or dongle and it will access the web that way. that is what I have done as my preloaded sim has not arrived yet so have plugged my 4g dongle into the usb socket to keep it charged, and connected the cars wifi to the wifi network that the dongle provides

Secondly, you still need to have registered on the jaguar incontrol service and have the account setup correctly. If that is done it works. - that way you can see the weather report so you can check on the web if you need to put your windscreen wipers on.!!

I am not sure what (if any) connectivity your car will get w ith the web if the account is not set up and activated correctly.

http://static-jlprod.wirelesscar.net/static/docs/manuals/owner/MyJaguarLandRoverInControlManual_en_GB.pdf

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pos.k said:
AshleyR said:
Pos.k said:
Hi Russell,

Mine does!
There are 2 issues here
firstly having a sim, that connects for the car to communicate directly with the web.
The alternative which I presume you are describing is that you have enabled your personal hotspot on your phone or are using an external 4G mifi device or whatever. In that event you can connect your cars wifi to the external wifi network provided by your phone or dongle and it will access the web that way. that is what I have done as my preloaded sim has not arrived yet so have plugged my 4g dongle into the usb socket to keep it charged, and connected the cars wifi to the wifi network that the dongle provides

Secondly, you still need to have registered on the jaguar incontrol service and have the account setup correctly. If that is done it works. - that way you can see the weather report so you can check on the web if you need to put your windscreen wipers on.!!

I am not sure what (if any) connectivity your car will get w ith the web if the account is not set up and activated correctly.

http://static-jlprod.wirelesscar.net/static/docs/manuals/owner/MyJaguarLandRoverInControlManual_en_GB.pdf
I've done all of this stuff. My car was delivered to me in April and I am still waiting for iPhone Personal Hotspot and HDMI connectivity!! :oops:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Russell said:
My vehicle has ICTP but not the connectivity option, hence no SIM card slot. Why then does it have a screen for Hot Spot facility?
?????????

no sim card slot - look in the centre console - there are 2 usb,s, an HDMI, 12 v round socket (pull out the cap) and a sim card slot.

just thinking - are you sure you have the pro - do you have the wide screen or do you have physical buttons down the side of the screen, because if it's just the standard setup then I think the sim card slot is in the boot - perhaps somebody with this setup can confirm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pos.k said:
Russell said:
My vehicle has ICTP but not the connectivity option, hence no SIM card slot. Why then does it have a screen for Hot Spot facility?
?????????

no sim card slot - look in the centre console - there are 2 usb,s, an HDMI, 12 v round socket (pull out the cap) and a sim card slot.

just thinking - are you sure you have the pro - do you have the wide screen or do you have physical buttons down the side of the screen, because if it's just the standard setup then I think the sim card slot is in the boot - perhaps somebody with this setup can confirm.
It is correct. I have the ICTP, too. But also no sim Card slot. In the armrest there are the usb, hdmi slot.
In the Options I can activate the hotspot and can connect to the ICTP with my phone over WIFI.
For me it males no sense that I have the hotspot, because I never can use it because of the missing sim card.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Is there a unit in the boot that has a sim card slot? - is there a little box - size of a pack of cards on its side - with 2 slots and possibly a little round eject button. one has a picture of a spanner next to it for the maintenance computer to connect to, the other is a sim card holder / slot.
I can't remember - saw it on the demo at the dealers, but it might be in the boot - possibly under the floor or behind one of the pull out covers or something.
I would be very surprised if there is not one somewhere.
phone call to dealer maybe?

·
Registered
458 Posts
It will be there...somewhere!!
Otherwise how does the car do the comms for the Incontrol protect / remote premium / apps? which are standard on all variants.

Find your cars connection slot for the maintenance - has a little spanner next to it - the sim card holder is probably next to it - you need to press the round button to eject the holder and lay the sim card in it.

I am getting a 3.0d S courtesy car this afternoon while mine is fixed so will have a look, I have seen the car before as it is their demonstrator and does not have the pro nav but I remember the sim card slot being in a strange place.might be the same in yours. will have a look and try to get a pic.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In Europe with the ICTP you do not get the comms , Incontrol protect / remote premium / apps, unless you order them in addition, hence my car does not have a SIM carrier either in the armrest or boot area. The armrest simply has a 12V power point and 2 USB sockets, nothing more.

My question is simply, why does the screen offer a Hotspot which can be turned on or off??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Russell said:
In Europe with the ICTP you do not get the comms , Incontrol protect / remote premium / apps, unless you order them in addition, hence my car does not have a SIM carrier either in the armrest or boot area. The armrest simply has a 12V power point and 2 USB sockets, nothing more.

My question is simply, why does the screen offer a Hotspot which can be turned on or off??
Russell see the notes on this page i think this explains it http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/document/4A/2017/T29581/23624_en_GBR/proc/G1821979

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ah, thanks for thay David. I just have the standard InConnect Touch, the obe with physical buttons and I have the Wifi option too. So it's to connect to a device to allow car to access your media rather than supplying others with internet. I'm goimg to try that out tomorrow!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Difference with UK build versus other countries? Mine has the sim slot under the armrest next to the USB's,what country are you in?

·
Registered
18 Posts
In the UK and I don't have a SIM slot under armrest.

*Tried turning on Wifi and checking the Hotspot option and it asks for a SIM card if wanting Internet. Eh? Why ask that when I don't have a place to put it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.