Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following this in another thread:
FPTrevor said:
In 1967 (age 17) I had a lift in a Jaguar ( I think it was a Mark1) driving from Newcastle to London, I was impressed and thought one day ill own a Jaguar.
I had looked several times at the marque but there was never a car that had the appeal till the FPace.
I thought I'd say why I wanted a Jaguar, specifically the FPace. Recently (and you may guess this from my online name) I had several Volvos. I've always liked big cars, not necessarily fast or sporty but big cars. I like the ride they generally give, the practicality they give and well, just big cars. I've had some weird ones in the past, anyone remember the Austin 3-litre ? My current car is an XF, I bought it because my V70 was quite old, I'd had it 7 years as a second owner car. It had all the toys, sat nav, cruise, self levelling suspension, TV, phone, leather electric memory seats, sunroof and mirrors a brilliant car and it could carry a load of stuff! The XF was the perfect replacement as I no longer needed the load carrying capacity (or so I thought). I don't like the sport brake XF (ugly as sin for my taste, but if you like it fair play to you, beauty is in the eye of the beholder) so the saloon was the choice, premium luxury to get close the V70 spec.

The XF has spent many days in the dealer with trivial faults, I worked out that the V70 in sevens years that I had it, had 8 visits to dealer, the one unexpected one was for new front bushes at 110,000 miles (you should have seen the shredded front tyres - scary)! The XF in 3 years so far is at 8 visits, in 20,000 miles! That's 4 x more frequent on age and 5 x on mileage!

Why go for the FPace? We'll there is no rational reason. It has the toys (Portfolio) and the load space I said I didn't need (but missed it so much!) The XF has been a joy to drive, the handling is brilliant, the ride superb but its not been as reliable as I hoped. I'm changing it at 3 years because I doubt it will get to the mileage of the V70, at least not without a lot of expensive dealer visits.

I hope the FPace changes my mind about the longevity of Jaguar cars, but its the driver experience that has made me a Jaguar convert. That says a lot about the cars, at 12 months into my XF ownership I thought seriously about chopping it in for another make... please Jaguar don't let me down with the FPace!

I can't wait until September, but this week I found my dealer has lost the Jaguar franchise and now my order has moved to the new franchise holder.... please Jaguar do not make September a non event! Some of us like your cars in spite of Jaguar client service that is best described as strange, but we don't like being messed around. This may not happen, the order may move seamlessly, but I'm a pessimist! Hope I'm wrong!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Always been a Jag fan here. Between my parents and me, this will be our 35th Jaguar (father is a collector). Over the last few years I have needed some more space/practicality for transporting passengers and football equip, so made the switch to the LR (really RR) side of the stable. You should have seen the look of horror in my father's eyes as I pulled up to his house! That advent of a "practical" Jag that is still stellar to drive has allowed me to move back to My preferred brand. The RR had a lovely interior, but having been used to Jags the drive always felt ... Limiting. The F-Pace is not only a chance have the practicality an Suberin drive in one package, but also get out of persona non grata status with pater ;).

As for why Jaguar in the first place? Grace, Space, and Pace. Enough said.

·
Registered
44 Posts
YVR_Pacer said:
Always been a Jag fan here. Between my parents and me, this will be our 35th Jaguar (father is a collector).
Good lord, I am mightily envious! If you don't mind me asking, what jags have you and your father attained over the years??

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Neat idea for a thread RaVolVoR!

Okay, so here goes.... Advance Warning: what follows is entirely and unapologetically subjective!

First of all, I'd like to say, "Thanks for making this car, Jaguar." I've chosen your 'big cat' because I'm in the market for a new, quality SUV, that simply appeals to my eye, my pocket, my life-style, my 'self'. It's definitely a heart-over-head thing with me, but I know I just can't get on with the current crop of German SUVs, full-stop! The new Volvos are undoubtedly the best they've ever made, but when I sit in them they still just don't feel like 'me' somehow. The big Rangies are just too big and still way too boxy for my tastes, and for some reason it seems that every single one of them that I meet coming the other way on narrow country roads are driven by inconsiderate crazies who can't remember which side of the road is their's, so I now just dislike them all on sight! (..okay, I know that's unreasonable, if you drive one considerately, we just haven't met out there!)

The 'Jag' has always been an object of pure desire, lurking there in the background for all of my life. Even now, an open-top F-Type would be my ultimate affordable freedom car, if life was just a 'road-movie' where the sun always shines, just me and the open road, like in all the brochure shots, with nothing to tie me down, no need for thinking about everyday practicalities.

So, unless or until I can afford to keep one of them as well, to use as a mere weekend outing plaything, I'm hoping that driving the F-Pace is going to give me a good measure of that feeling on every day of the week, while still being grounded in the real world.

No pressure then, F-Pace, just tick ALL the boxes for me, an' feed the kitty! . . :p . ;) . :lol: . :shock: . :evil: . :D . :cool:

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have driven most varieties of transport through the years and more recently taken a liking to SUVs owning most brands I finally ended up at the door of LandRover which to be completely honest with you has proved to be the best of them by far so making the jump to the sister brands wasn't that big of a one. But thats only half the story as I already said the RRS was the best so far, so why change?

Well that decision is obvious to anyone who has driven the F-Pace, where the RRS excels so does the F-Pace but it move things like driver involvement and handling dynamics to another level that the RRS could only dream of.

Currently there's nothing close in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I went with the XF as needed a slightly bigger family car that had a bit of oomph and the 3.0S seemed a nice compromise and looked good.
After 2 years really liked it so thought about getting a new V8 XF or something up from the XF and knew the F PACE was coming out and as long as they did a nice petrol model I was in. Young family it may even keep the wife happy but no chance of that - she does t understand why cars are 30k let alone anymore.

So prices were announced and they had a nice well powered petrol so that was it. Loved the look and thought why not , not a big fan of brand new cars due to heavy early residuals.

I did previously own a cheap and bag of spanners XJS 5 litre in light metallic blue. Lovely car to look at. Leaked through windscreen, heaters went to crap and rarely worked and then ran on 6 cylinders instead of 12 lol

Really liked the idea of an SUV with good looks, power, drive and an updated info system as the one in the XF is a bit clunky and crap. F pace ticks a lot of boxes,

·
Registered
208 Posts
sted24 said:
YVR_Pacer said:
Always been a Jag fan here. Between my parents and me, this will be our 35th Jaguar (father is a collector).
Good lord, I am mightily envious! If you don't mind me asking, what jags have you and your father attained over the years??
My side of the stable has been pretty tame:

X-Type 2.5L
X-Type 3L
XK Coupe
and now the F-Pace!
(We won't talk about the RR or Disco!)

On my father's side it is much more interesting, everything from a XK140 to a Mark II, to up through e-Types, XJs, XJRs, XKR, X-Types (saloons and estate), VDPs, etc.
Right now the coach house holds a black X-type avec baby seat (mother's daily driver), BRG X-type estate (only for transporting the german shepherd, and crates of wine apparently), a lovingly restored Mark II, and an XKR (fathers's daily driver). He has been caght in the past with a secret off-site annex garage, so one never really knows what he has in his stable at any given time. He buys, restores, sells older ones and collects and keeps his favourites for himself. I suppose everyone needs a hobby!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I walked in to a dual Landrover Jaguar dealership last october, i had a 4 year old Freelander HSE LUX SD4, and was going to look at the Discovery Sport. As I walked in there is a reception desk between the two Marques and behind the receptionist was two pictures, 1 of the discovery sport and 1 of another car, as the receptionist greeted me, i said thats a nice car, she announced to me it was the new Jaguar F Pace. I said well i was going to talk to Landrover today about a car but i think i need to talk to Jaguar....

Had a chat with salesman and placed my order the next day, smitten.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Because if there's one thing I cannot stand it's:
1) Getting a discount on the RRP
2) Getting any free extras thrown in
3) Getting good communication
4) Getting good customer service
OK that's four.

This car was made for me :twisted:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts