Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

New to the forum, just deciding on what extras to go for on an 'R Sport' before placing an order!

When I test drove an F-Pace last week and had a good look over it, I noticed that there wasn't any internal wheel arch covers in the back wheel arches, you can just see the internal surface of the rear sill. Looking around since, it seems that almost all other cars have an interior wheel arch cover which completely surround the arch, even on really small cars.

Was it missing (I doubt it!) or is it correct that there isn't one?! If there isn't one, does this not result in the rear sill filling with muck and if so, doesn't it make it difficult to clean, or am worrying over nothing?!

Any pictures would be good to put my mind at rest if anybody has any.

·
Registered
363 Posts
There is another post on here somewhere - apparently the covering is a new material, super hard wearing and lightweight that is covering the rear of the archway, the poster worked for the manufacturer.... after 1500 miles mine look fine and hosed down as per usual.... panic not!

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you're referring to the high density fabric lining, my evoque has the same material and I've used a power washer on it since new. 5 years later and it still looks the same.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Yes when I picked my car up I honestly thought it was unfinished and was an interior finish with no cover.
It's actually a material that's lighter and better than traditional covers and is good at soundproofing

It's normal and so far is looking good - genuine concern when you first see it. I had some but all ok :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I need to have a closer look as it looked to me like just the inside of the plastic bumper that I could see, i.e. no covers at all.

Doug, I know what you mean about the fabric lining, that is what I was expecting, but there was no lining at all :eek: !!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
confused said:
Thanks for your replies. I need to have a closer look as it looked to me like just the inside of the plastic bumper that I could see, i.e. no covers at all.

Doug, I know what you mean about the fabric lining, that is what I was expecting, but there was no lining at all :eek: !!
Pictures best bet - see what your seeing and we can easily compare

·
Registered
922 Posts
It's to make sure JLR doesn't cut corners when cleaning his car ;)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Not wishing to pick holes JLRnumber5, but that rear bumper looks like its moved! The front edge does not align with the main arch and there seems to be a tapered gap at top left of image, its hard to tell but if you haven't already noticed I'd have a closer look. You are right though, lighter colours really show this up!

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Don't panic JLR#5, your panels are fine, it's just an optical illusion in the photo caused by the rear arch mud-flaplet thing, I can't remember what technical name you guys gave it when it was discussed in a thread a couple of months or so ago . . the little black plastic deflector on the rear outside edge of the wheel arch makes it look like the two panels are out of line when you take a two-dimensional image (otherwise known as a photograph! :lol: ) from a certain broadside-on angle . . that's all it is :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JLRnumber5's picture is what I am referring to, but more specifically, if you look in the arch from the wheel back towards the rear of the car, you are looking at the inside of the rear bumper which looks a little vulnerable to muck collection and damage from pressure washing. Most cars have this shielded by the sort of fabric type lining around the arch that Doug was referring to, and the whole wheel arch ends up looking more substantial, although it probably isn't.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just checked mine it is covered in the fibre shield all way round cant see into rear bumper.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
big jon said:
Just checked mine it is covered in the fibre shield all way round cant see into rear bumper.
Yep, checked mine too . . both rear wheel arches have fibre shield all the way around the interior of the arch, right down to where the rear mudflap is . . there's no way of seeing into the back of the rear bumper area when you look into the arch.

It's not an easy thing to photograph clearly, but you can see what I mean from this pic... and, by the way, this pic just goes to disprove Jag scat and JLR#5's theory elsewhere on this forum that my car never gets dirty; well, it does, of course! The countryside around where I am is full of unmentionable sticky stuff, it's just that '****' usually gets cleaned thoroughly before I ask him to pose for shots . . . not this time tho' . . :lol:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Synthetic rubber

'confused', I would suggest you must have test driven a car that had it missing. What did the Dealer say when you quizzed him about it? :?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting, thanks very much for your input and photos. There was definitely no shielding on either the demonstrator that I test drove or indeed a brand new car sitting in the showroom waiting to be collected by a customer :eek: .

I was enquiring about the fitting of 'splash guards' and the salesman took me to the showroom car to explain how there would be a gap between the top of the splash guard and small wingy thing on the side of the wheel arch. I commented on the 'openness' of the wheel arch and the fact that the inside of the bumper was visible (i.e. no protection) and he said that is what they are like :? .

I am not that close to the dealer so cannot just call in again to check but obviously need to make further enquiries, I didn't think it looked right. Surely they wouldn't remove them though, unless its a change form Jaguar on new vehicles :?:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
catwoman said:
big jon said:
Yep, checked mine too . . both rear wheel arches have fibre shield all the way around the interior of the arch, right down to where the rear mudflap is . . there's no way of seeing into the back of the rear bumper area when you look into the arch.

It's not an easy thing to photograph clearly, but you can see what I mean from this pic... and, by the way, this pic just goes to disprove Jag scat and JLR#5's theory elsewhere on this forum that my car never gets dirty; well, it does, of course! The countryside around where I am is full of unmentionable sticky stuff, it's just that '****' usually gets cleaned thouroughly before I ask him to pose for shots . . . not this time tho' . . :lol:

View attachment 2813

'confused', I would suggest you must have test driven a car that had it missing. What did the Dealer say when you quizzed him about it? :?
catwoman, that's just bullsh1t that is .... ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts