Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You arrived at the dealership for handover and the car they were looking to hand over to you was not the colour you ordered?

I ask this as it happened to me today. A "one in a million error" The dealer (very nice by the way) appeared not to remember I was ordering a silver one until I reminded him (after he had driven it past me in a grey one with a smile on his face about to handover the car of my dreams.) His face was a picture - if you are reading this - hi Jason! This car costs just a shade under £60k and we have been in constant dialogue since my order.

I accepted the grey version (after 15 minutes of contemplation between me and the car and me trying to get my head around the fact that this was happening.)

There were a few factors that led me to the decision. The main one being that the car is stunning (pictures to follow too dark now!) and I was debating over many weeks whether to go for ammonite grey or rhodium silver or white and in the end I ordered silver but it really was a coin toss for me. There was one week of the order when I had instructed a change from silver to grey but when it came to lock-in I had agreed in writing with the dealer and it appeared/appears on all of my paperwork - a silver car was heading my way. Trust me - this was checked by all concerned. The blame landed squarely with the factory. The manager was called out to meet me and told me that "he loves the colour and my resale value would be higher!" - they were all trying to dig themselves out the hole a bit.

We also spent a while agreeing that the bonnet shut lines were very slightly out but out none the less and it needed to be sorted - this despite me emailing them on Monday telling them not to show me a car with a dodgy bonnet. The dealer needs a day to sort this and will be arranging this asap

I am also a little unsure of the leather. As others have mentioned it looks a little baggy to me - apparently it will tighten up with time. Not sure how the physics of this work but we shall see and I have registered my slight concern.

Anyway I went to sleep last night expecting to drive away a silver f-pace S today and instead there is a grey one on my drive.

I consider myself a fairly laid back guy - I wonder how many others on here would be as relaxed as I am!

I cant wait to explore all the car can do. I love the ammonite grey and black pack in the flesh.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well I'd make doubly sure that each and every other part of YOUR spec was on the car for sure! As it was a colour you'd contemplated, then it's not a big reach to actually accept it - if you really love the Ammonite when you look out on the drive in the morning.....
But I do believe that penalties should be extracted in such circumstances otherwise personnel and organisations don't learn any kind of lesson. So I'd ask your dealer to sort out something with Jaguar as compensation for your 'loss' - a free service plan might just do it?

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Its a shame you did not get the colour you wanted but it also sounds like you were unsure on which colour you wanted anyway.

As for the resell value I have never heard that grey is worth more then silver, think its a bit of salesman trying to cheese you up, if it was an unusual colour then I could accept colour plays a part but between silver and grey, its not going to happen.

If your paperwork states silver and you got grey then I would be expecting some sort of deal with you, free warranty extension, free boot cover, free something.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
You sure are one pragmatic guy! I do think the Ammonite is the better colour though!

What they are saying about leather tightening is poppycock .. of course it does the opposite.

Looking forward to some pics :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already paid for the 5 year plan. I got a couple of nice keyrings but I know I was getting them before the error was identfied. On reflection I should have pushed them for something extra but at the time my mind was all over the place as I was trying to work out if I was doing the right thing. When you have visualised something for so long it throws you. It didnt help that due to unforseen circumstances I had my 4 month old baby with me!

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
flameboy said:
I already paid for the 5 year plan. I got a couple of nice keyrings but I know I was getting them before the error was identfied. On reflection I should have pushed them for something extra but at the time my mind was all over the place as I was trying to work out if I was doing the right thing. When you have visualised something for so long it throws you. It didnt help that due to unforseen circumstances I had my 4 month old baby with me!
Its not too late to say you have slept on it and want a deal of some sort.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did tell her that the man had got me a grey car when I ordered a silver one and she sort of gurgled approval.

·
Registered
363 Posts
When my XE arrived they had missed the heated screen and power fold mirrors off my order (both more minor than an incorrect colour!) I was going to take it (minus the cost of the options) and then walked away and they banged on at me about what would it take to keep the car - I got nearly £4K off the car in the end. Fast forward six months and I rejected the whole car for a bunch of other issues but that's another story!

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
[shakes head in disbelief!]

It's worked out in your favour, as luck would have it . . I think ammonite is a better looking car, in my totally unbiased opinion, but that's not to say I wouldn't be upset if my order had been so casually screwed up, and if it had been the other way round and a silver one had been delivered instead of the grey I really wanted, I would definitely have rejected. Anyway, you've ended up with a great colour! Take it as a sign . . it's karma . . it was just meant to be :D

Stuff like this shouldn't happen though!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
catwoman said:

It's worked out in your favour, as luck would have it . . I think ammonite is a better looking car, in my totally unbiased opinion, but that's not to say I wouldn't be upset if my order had been so casually screwed up, and if it had been the other way round and a silver one had been delivered instead of the grey I really wanted, I would definitely have rejected. Anyway, you've ended up with a great colour! Take it as a sign . . it's karma . . it was just meant to be :D

Agree - a big part of my decision was "a sign/karma" - I even thought that to myself as I walked around the car at the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
flameboy said:
catwoman said:

Agree - a big part of my decision was "a sign/karma" - I even thought that to myself as I walked around the car at the dealership.
Yes but you do not tell them that, what you say is you messed up my order and want some sort of gift, they make enough on new vehicles and after all it's not the colour you ordered, unless something is done this sort of thing will just continue to happen.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Jagfpacejk said:
Yes but you do not tell them that, what you say is you messed up my order and want some sort of gift, they make enough on new vehicles and after all it's not the colour you ordered, unless something is done this sort of thing will just continue to happen.
That's not how Karma works!!

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Jagfpacejk said:
That's not how Karma works!!
My Karma works like this,

I pay you large amounts of money for my order.

You supply my order 100% correct.

You do not supply my order 100% you PAY ME.

lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As promised - I have been out enjoying the car..but after a couple of days I am more than happy that they got my order wrong. Apologies for the picture quality - iphone in a hurry....

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
That does look good though, a very positive outcome.

Still very ood they are producing cars not as per order though!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts