Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My replacement F Pace is being ordered today, so this weekend I had to have a really good think about whether I would change the spec at all. It's not the sort of dilemma one normally faces - and I've found it really tough! Since this opportunity doesn't come along very often I feel almost obliged to change something. Fortunately I had another good 220 mile blast at the weekend, encountering all weathers and terrains, and at points we were 4 up in the car plus dog. I also chose to spend a good 80 miles sitting in the rear as a passenger to get that perspective.

For anyone who cares - here's the thought process - would be interested to know if you could add or delete anything what would it be?

Engine. Since delivery of the car (Sept - 2600 miles ago) I've wondered if I made the right engine choice. It's my first diesel. Should I have gone for the petrol? This was one of the hardest decisions, but I am sticking with the oil burner. I'm in love with torque! The way it shifts from 1500-3000 rpm is astonishing. Yes it gets all rough and noisy at 4000 rpm and then totally breathless as it gets towards the limiter, so I don't stray there! Fortunately the ZF gearbox happily charges it's way up and down the cogs keeping the engine in it's sweetspot. I'm also planning to do a few more miles than normal over the next few years (family in Geneva and Zurich now with nephew) and the fuel consumption of the 3.0d is great considering my slightly heavy right foot. I've averaged 32.9mpg compared to 23mpg in my petrol evoque over 40,000 miles.

Colour. This one's tough too. I love Ammonite. It was my first choice, but I think body and wheels need to contrast. So if I went for Ammo it would be with Turbines. Then I think the wheels need to compliment the body trim, so I would ditch the black pack. Now that's a very different looking car. Don't get me wrong I've seen this combo and it looks great, but it's more of the exec stylish look than the sports hooligan look I was going for this time. So that brings me back to Black Helix, and black pack. What else works (contrasts) for the body. Silver? Nice but not special. IRR looks fabulous but I want the red/jet interior (after years of black interiors I really like it) and I've seen this combo on an FP and XE and to my eye the red interior and exterior clash a little. So it looks like I am sticking with Glacier.

Tech spec....staying

14 way seat are definitely staying they are amazing.

ICTP - well despite all the problems it's caused me we are giving it another go. Plenty of people have fully working units, and when it works it's up there with the best. I could do without the digital dash - I prefer analogue dials - but I have figured out how to avoid my biggest annoyance of the rev counter and speedo swapping around - and using the torchlight effect makes it easier to read at a glance, although still not as good as analogue.

825W Meridian - if there was an option to have ICTP with the standard 80W audio I would do this and spend the difference on an after market upgrade, but since there isn't I will go with the 825W upgrade again. It's a good system just not stunning (as well reported on here).

Gesture tailgate I love. Works every time for me and very handy with shopping and usually a dog on lead.

Blind-spot-monitor Superb so it's staying. Warned me at the weekend of an idiot in a merc trying to undertake on the M4. It sees stuff from so far behind or to the side I'm not really sure how!

Going .... Rear seat levers. Only £55 I know but useless. You have to go around to the rear seats to lower the headrests otherwise they foul on the front seats and the release level is right next to the headrest.

Adding .... LED headlights. The Bi-xenons are adequate but not amazing. They also lack the side lighting and adaptive adjustment on cornering. I also think that in 4/5 years time when I come to sell many more cars will have LED lights and their omission might affect resale value.

Skinny spare. I didn't order a spare mainly because I wanted the storage space for the rear parcel shelf below the boot floor, as we usually carry the dog. However I have discovered that the best thing to do is leave the parcel shelf in place (he's a Jack Russell) and fold the skinny centre seat/ski hatch instead. That plus planned trips to France/Switzerland dictates a spare is a good idea.

So do I add anything else? hmmmmmmm .......

·
Registered
30 Posts
JLRnumber5 I would suggest you get some wheels, it might be difficult without them! I like to Torque too - my misses often tells me to shut up!

A car is a personal choice there is no right or wrong its just yours so just enjoy it -I am sure you will!

Quick question will you be posting as Jagnumber6 in future? :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Things I would change with my own order is headlights to the LEDs and possibly the colour if only to have something different.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Having had a demo car with standard screen for the past week, I have learnt a few things...

It is 100% ITCP for me, even with issues, it is in a different league, standard just does not cut it ( sorry everyone, but it has convinced me more not having it for the week)
This one has lane departure warnings, not my cuppa, glad I didn't order it.
14 way seats are simply awesome
Opening pano is a definite
Not used the gesture tailgate even though it has it ( and I don't)
It does have adaptive light, and auto high beam, not sure how much this is, but I like the auto high beam.
The demo looks exactly like yours, and I am looking forward to getting back in my IRR with red leather, I think it looks more classy, but then it is lucky we are all different ;)
Even though it has memory seats, the mirrors don't dip, not sure why, but have got used to not having them so still would not spec memory

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks F-Pace S ... I think I have driven that same demo car you had .. if so that one doesn't have the wobbly back end. Anyway that's a different thread!

Your own car has LDW too .. it's standard on all FPs ... you must just have it turned off (button next to the rear tailgate opener by your right knee)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Thanks F-Pace S ... I think I have driven that same demo car you had .. if so that one doesn't have the wobbly back end. Anyway that's a different thread!

Your own car has LDW too .. it's standard on all FPs ... you must just have it turned off (button next to the rear tailgate opener by your right knee)
Hmm, I not sure about the wobbly back end, I know it has a creaky one that is for sure. It also has the noise mine is in being fixed for, the grumbly wheel bearing noise.

The two raised manholes near my house, it has a similar effect on, but I will know more when I get mine back.

Interesting about the LDW though, will have a look!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Don't get me wrong I still love the Glazier White but as I've had it and given the chance to change like you are getting I'd do it simply to be different.

@F-Pace S... I love red leather having had it in previous cars but this two tone black/red in my opinion looks better in the R-Sport than the S, if I could have got the red insert with black surround I would have gone for it in a heart beat.

P.S. Listen to an FP with the 380w system and there's a world of difference with the 825w, way better sound staging.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
luminated said:
in my opinion looks better in the R-Sport than the S, if I could have got the red insert with black surround I would have gone for it in a heart beat.
Really? interesting I much prefer the S combo .. the red isn't so bright.

luminated said:
P.S. Listen to an FP with the 380w system and there's a world of difference with the 825w, way better sound staging.
Did you see my note last night on the surround speakers? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
948 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Really? interesting I much prefer the S combo .. the red isn't so bright.
Oddly I feel the opposite is true with the R-Sport looking more restrained.

JLRnumber5 said:
Did you see my note last night on the surround speakers? Any thoughts?
Do you mean the original post at the start of the thread.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have thought of one thing I would possibly add...heated steering wheel as the Jag heating is so crap in the mornings

·
Registered
948 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
here ... http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1914 ... what with you knowing about this stuff 'n all
As far as I'm aware the surround only come into play when you pick the two surround modes by either Dolby or DTS. Meridian mode primary push the sound stage forward as if you were listening to a band so no need for the surround speakers.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Gesture tailgate driving me up the wall now. Had it all sorted for a bit and now it's more not.
Had a look under the car to see if I could see any Sensors but couldn't see much.

Nice position to be in but still a tough one especially things like colour.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Loving the logic.

I think JLR5.2 will be a beaut.

I just bought the rubber mats off eBay from a jag dealer in Cornwall for £100 and I'm really pleased with them. But like most things eachh to their own.

Re the surround speakers I agree with luminated that Merdian DSP is all about bridging the stereo between right and left sound fields by use of centre speakers - I'm fairly sure Dolby / DTS do the opposite and split a stereo signal into main and surround components hence a lot more surround action.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Luminated and blackjagmike are indeed correct. In fact in Meridian there is some sound channeled to the surround speakers but it's very subtle and I couldn't hear it on the M4 yesterday even with my head wedged between the roof and the rear headrests!

In Dolby and DTS it's more noticeable but still fairly subtle. The Meridian mode is definitely more forward facing the stage which is my preference.

As I've said before the best seating position is the centre rear seat. The Ocado delivery man thought I was a total nutjob sitting in the rear seat in the dark with the engine running and ELO blaring out :)

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
The Ocado delivery man thought I was a total nutjob sitting in the rear seat in the dark with the engine running and ELO blaring out
That's because you were listening to Diary Of Horace Wimp . . not because you were on the back seat . . :lol:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.