Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my brand new 3.0 petrol R-Sport on Tuesday with 13km on the clock.

Drove it 10km to work. 25km home when stopped at home coolant started gushing out of the header tank as though it was severely overheating.
The temp gauge had showed no problem.

Got it towed back to dealer. They said a twisted hose - replaced it and the next day I get it back.

Drove 10km to work. Exactly the same, except this time it was obvious coolant had been blowing out while driving. Temp gauge was fine. When car was restarted got a coolant low message but temp gauge was still fine.

So its back at the dealer now for the second time with 63 km on the clock. If this was an old car I would say it s a blown head gasket but cant check that as there is no dipstick.

Anyone have any ideas as I think they are struggling to diagnose. btw love the car - just want to drive it. They have given me a petrol S as a loaner so I guess its not too bad.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Classic head gasket symptoms. Thought those days were long gone, so let's hope it's something minor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Dave,

Funnily enough I have a 3.0L Petrol XE S (keep an eye on this forum as there's a lot more people with the same ICT Pro than on the XE forum) that's currently back in the dealership for exactly the same reason. Two weeks old, 595 miles on the clock and a small cap comes off the top of the engine and sprays coolant everywhere - causing billowing smoke and a call to the AA!

Same symptons as you - red coolant low light, but no change in the engine temperature guage. I think the V6 engines are the same in the XE, F-Pace and F-Type, maybe just in a different state of tune. AA man seemed to think there was air in the system so the pressure was too high, but the right relief valve didn't seem to be triggering.

The dealer I took it to has been instructed by Jag to replace a load of cooling bits, so will be out of action until next week while they get some parts shipped in. They;d seen it once before on an F-Type. Sounds like you've done better than me on the courtesy car front - i've just got a 2.0L diesel XE to tide me over. It's not the same!

Perhaps they've had a dodgy batch of V6s? Up until recently i think the XE's were also built in the same factory as the F-Pace?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Forgot to say, it's being dealt with by Simon (service manager) at Stratstone Jaguar Nottingham - might be worth you get your dealership to give him a call? As he's had some guidance out from JLR.

·
Registered
473 Posts
dave said:

Drove it 10km to work. 25km home when stopped at home coolant started gushing out of the header tank as though it was severely overheating.

Got it towed back to dealer. They said a twisted hose - replaced it and the next day I get it back.

Drove 10km to work. Exactly the same, except this time it was obvious coolant had been blowing out while driving. Temp gauge was fine. When car was restarted got a coolant low message but temp gauge was still fine.

So its back at the dealer now for the second time with 63 km on the clock. If this was an old car I would say it s a blown head gasket but cant check that as there is no dipstick.

Anyone have any ideas as I think they are struggling to diagnose. btw love the car - just want to drive it. They have given me a petrol S as a loaner so I guess its not too bad.
mine had a similar problem, it was a badly formed header tank neck, so the cap couldn't seal closed, only obvious after a run when under pressure the fluid sprays out, showering the engine bay, jag replaced mine no problem since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK well they have had it for a couple of days. Obviously dont want to give it back unless they have it nailed.

Solution seems to be replacing the pressure cap. Will give it a few days and update

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I picked up my 3.0D mid Oct. and only done about 150 miles.
Dealer rang me today and asked me to book in vehicle for coolant level check.
Said some models were not topped up properly when leaving factory.
All sounded a bit odd to me and when I pressed for more info. he didn't seem to know too much more.
Checked mine and coolant level was low about 5mm below 'low' level .
I'm pretty sure it was ok the day after I took delivery.
Dealer did send me the email jaguar sent them but not much more info.
Seeing various coolant issues on here just wondered if anyone else has been asked to take theirs in or if anyone has further info other than the one 'coolant cap' and 'stone damage' posts.
Will look in much more detail tomorrow and post anything further.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Dellme said:
Hi, I picked up my 3.0D mid Oct. and only done about 150 miles.
Dealer rang me today and asked me to book in vehicle for coolant level check.
Said some models were not topped up properly when leaving factory.
All sounded a bit odd to me and when I pressed for more info. he didn't seem to know too much more.
Checked mine and coolant level was low about 5mm below 'low' level .
I'm pretty sure it was ok the day after I took delivery.
Dealer did send me the email jaguar sent them but not much more info.
Seeing various coolant issues on here just wondered if anyone else has been asked to take theirs in or if anyone has further info other than the one 'coolant cap' and 'stone damage' posts.
Will look in much more detail tomorrow and post anything further.
Yes every Fpace has a recall notice for this, mine has already been done, was told they also check the coolant bottle as they have found some have a manufacturing issue where the plastic is an issue, not sure what is wrong though, as its free if you have the time its worth having it done, you may find you car also needs the starter motor cable check as well, it was meant to have been picked up on the production line around the time of your build but it may have slipped through without being rectified and again worth being checked.

·
Banned
444 Posts
dave said:

Your dealer is not on the ball, it is a known issue that some of the screw on pressure tops are faulty! I took my car in for the ICT Pro 2.5 update and the service manager informed me that it was on a check list from Jaguar for ALL F-Pace vehicles.

I would seriously think about using another workshop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks jagfpacejk for update.
Yes clear now. I managed to get the tech. Bulletin and it's a distorted coolant tank filler neck.
This also applies to some XE and XF's for 2016-7 model years.
They have to take measurements then replace either the filler cap or the coolant tank and cap.
So F Paces are losing coolant and I guess it would have to fall some way below min level for warning lights to come up but it's worth keeping a check and getting update done.

Apart from daft first explanation of problem ( not topped up properly) I have to say Jag have been fairly open , honest and helpful re problem and repair.
Mine goes in Monday 9/1/17.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Dellme said:
Thanks jagfpacejk for update.
Yes clear now. I managed to get the tech. Bulletin and it's a distorted coolant tank filler neck.
This also applies to some XE and XF's for 2016-7 model years.
They have to take measurements then replace either the filler cap or the coolant tank and cap.
So F Paces are losing coolant and I guess it would have to fall some way below min level for warning lights to come up but it's worth keeping a check and getting update done.

Apart from daft first explanation of problem ( not topped up properly) I have to say Jag have been fairly open , honest and helpful re problem and repair.
Mine goes in Monday 9/1/17.
No problem, glad to help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts