Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that every other thread at the moment is full of people complaining for one reason or another.... oh the Sat-Nav is voice commanded, oh my car is only doing 38.6mpg but it's supposed to do 38.9, my bonnet is six microns wider at one side than the other, etc, etc......... seldom is anyone praising just how wonderful this thing is to drive and live with. :(

If I had one complain it would be I'm going to lose my license soon such is the quietness of it's cabin that you are always doing way more speed than you think. I know it's the honeymoon period but I seem to have got stuck in that period the whole two and a half years I owned my RRSports and I'm getting the same feeling here only better. ;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Excellent, personally as someone who hasn't got a car yet, (but will have tomorrow :D ) I dont have the positive experiences to offset against the challenges I read people are having and I guess it's easier or perhaps people are motivated to post about issues rather than post more than once about how great there car is.

I hope like you I will basking in the glow of ownership soon and it will more than set of any niggles, the only cars without any niggles was my RR and my Boxster was like a swiss watch also, everything else has had remedial work or quirky problems, it's not stopped me liking the cars although funnily enough my top three cars would be my RR, Boxster and my old MGB with my Morris Minor running them close the last two where old and tired when I bought them and had frequent issues but I really enjoyed them.

I hope the SC is up there against my list of 40+ cars owned cars,

Key point is when I am driving rather than reading about every one else's issues I hope that will change my frustration at the protracted delivery. I don't get to precious about my cars they frequently won't be washed that often, going home it will be in and out of potholes and driven through a ford, it will be going in fields and getting muddy so I will accept quirks and slight misalignments, most of all when on the 3-4 days a week I get chance to drive I want it to put a smile on my face that is my single biggest requirement.

So Luminated I hope I will be singing its praises starting from tomorrow....

·
Registered
245 Posts
luminated said:
It seems that every other thread at the moment is full of people complaining for one reason or another.... oh the Sat-Nav is voice commanded, oh my car is only doing 38.6mpg but it's supposed to do 38.9, my bonnet is six microns wider at one side than the other, etc, etc......... seldom is anyone praising just how wonderful this thing is to drive and live with. :(

If I had one complain it would be I'm going to lose my license soon such is the quietness of it's cabin that you are always doing way more speed than you think. I know it's the honeymoon period but I seem to have got stuck in that period the whole two and a half years I owned my RRSports and I'm getting the same feeling here only better. ;)
I only complain for the cause. In hope that people like like yourself will take delivery of the vehicle you have been dreaming about!
I've had my FE since April and only recently (since the rear suspension has been sorted) have I finally been able to start to bond with it.
Just the InControl Touch Pro issues now to be resolved and I will have the vehicle I once dreamed about too! :D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I guess that folk like us on this forum are atypical and most of us will be very attached to our cars. Which means that we are sensitive to the slightest issue that arises.

Like others have said, stuff goes wrong on cars. It took me a few goes with brand new ones to accept that this is just as true for the first owner experience as it is for second hand. The difference is that, on the new cars, most of the supplying dealers have done their best to quickly resolve the faults.

The fact that the F-Pace is a brand new model means that these will inevitably be snagging issues. It's interesting that the issues are not with the shared hardware - engines, gearboxes etc. have all been fine. But it's the stuff that's new to this model like the ICTP, suspension and body panels. Our XC60 is a 2014 model and has been bullet proof except for one thing from new - the Exhuast Gas Recirculation Valve has failed repeatedly and it has had seven visits to the dealer. The dealer has done their best but, because it was a brand new Volvo engine design slotted into my model year, Volvo Sweden didn't have a solution and all they could do was patch it up until it failed again. 2.5yrs later Sweden has finally designed what they hope to be a permanent fix and the dealer did the job two months ago under warranty. Almost none of the car magazines or web sites mention this issue despite it having wreaked havoc for Volvo VEA D4 & D5 engines across their entire range up to the new XC90 (AutoExpress car of the year 2015).

Nothing I have yet read about on this or the US site for F-Pace has been fatal. The ICTP software problems for one or two owners has been grim and it seems as if Jaguar are struggling there. And the front shut line alignment issue is embarrassing for a premium manufacturer, although I am relieved that a quick 30min fix can be done on my drive so I can achieve perfection.

The thought of cancelling my order has crossed my mind once or twice. But what else would I get? On balance, I will accept these niggles. When my time comes to take delivery I will try my best to manage my mind so that I don't let the niggles scupper my joy of ownership - I find there is a need to manage my mind in a conscious manner to ensure I don't waste the first few months of ownership being absorbed in the problems rather than the joy of a new car.

My only conclusion though is that, for many of us, £45 - £70k is a lot of money. There's probably a reasonable expectation that the dealer experience will be first class when we are spending that sort of money. Thankfully, my dealer is first class. They run a joint franchise with Jaguar and Volvo on the same site and with a shared service facility. So, since 2006' I can honestly say that they try their best and are proud of who they are. My early experience with the Jaguar side of their business has been excellent too. Every email receives a personal reply, no corporate gobbledygook and they have called me and invited me to pop down whenever they have received a new F-Pace with an element that I have said I would like to see before my own lock down date comes - handing the keys to me and letting me have a good look.

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this forum. I for one appreciate the information and it makes for an interesting read.

Enjoy your F-Paces.

Arianne

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I do agree, and Arianne makes a great point as well. You have to remember that the type of people that frequent their cars forums, are not the norm, they are people who love and want to understand, discuss and show their cars for mutual benefit of all. As a result of this, faults get exposed, thoughts raised, agreed with, and quite often ideas discussed.

Personally, I have seen this on PH, as well as Lotus forums, where they are absolutely love Lotus to the nth degree, however a hand built car has many "faults/issues/tightening" etc that most people will never ever know about, as it works. The fact that said people will always want to better their cars is a fact of life.

As a new member on here, I see exactly the same mindset, and having the ICTP screen break is unacceptable to my mind, I can see why people are upset, and therefore want to share their woes with others. Squeaky suspension, well that is being fixed.

I cannot wait for mine to arrive, and share the experience with everyone on here.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Seconded to the comments above but to add to them....

"Quit belly-aching and go out and enjoy your cars!"

Ok, they and Jaguar may not be perfect but what is? You're privileged to be able to afford the car and be one of the first in the nation to have one on the road. No one's broken-down yet have they!?

·
Registered
458 Posts
PaulC said:
Seconded to the comments above but to add to them....

"Quit belly-aching and go out and enjoy your cars!"

Ok, they and Jaguar may not be perfect but what is? You're privileged to be able to afford the car and be one of the first in the nation to have one on the road. No one's broken-down yet have they!?
Technically...yes!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not know what's wrong with the world these days, either everyone's expectations are too high or people just want to whinge to feel important but it's getting dreadful.

I own a sizeable supermarket and yesterday I had to go down to the shop floor to listen to someone's complaint, guess what it was..... the post office had delivered the last period leaflet along with the current one and what was I going to do about it and another person complained to us about Batchelors changing the recipe of a cup a soup..... seriously.... as if I could do something about that too. lol

I understand purchasing a new car is possibly the second biggest single purchase most will ever do but for the most part a car at £10k goes through the same assembly process checks as one costing several times that so why expect things to be that different.

·
Registered
458 Posts
luminated said:
Not know what's wrong with the world these days, either everyone's expectations are too high or people just want to whinge to feel important but it's getting dreadful.

I own a sizeable supermarket and yesterday I had to go down to the shop floor to listen to someone's complaint, guess what it was..... the post office had delivered the last period leaflet along with the current one and what was I going to do about it and another person complained to us about Batchelors changing the recipe of a cup a soup..... seriously.... as if I could do something about that too. lol

I understand purchasing a new car is possibly the second biggest single purchase most will ever do but for the most part a car at £10k goes through the same assembly process checks as one costing several times that so why expect things to be that different.
Well, forgive me Mr supermarket.
It may be relatively unimportant for you, but for me having dropped £63,360 on. a car I expect basics to be right.
I fully understand that mechanical things can fail, but simple stuff like an oil seal should be right. It's not rocket science.
I think it is totally unreasonable of you to berate people who have had the shine taken off the 2nd biggest purchase of their lives, particularly one so emotive as their car which is purely and completely a discretionary purchase. God forbid we only buy the car we need.

·
Registered
381 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Batchelors changed their recipe???!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Nnnnooooooooooooooo!!!!!! :D :D

First world problems

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Gman said:
I don't get to precious about my cars they frequently won't be washed that often, going home it will be in and out of potholes and driven through a ford, it will be going in fields and getting muddy so I will accept quirks and slight misalignments, most of all when on the 3-4 days a week I get chance to drive I want it to put a smile on my face that is my single biggest requirement.
Couldn't agree more, I live down a lane and my cars are covered in dust when it's dry and splashed with mud when it's wet, along with pollen from the trees in the spring and leaves in the autumn. That's partly why I always go for flat black (I know I should have silver as it hides dirt very well). However when I saw the storm grey on a F Type I almost, almost, changed from my boring flat black. But that would have been about a £1700 upgrade, if I had already chosen metallic then I would have done it.
Looking forward to you pics!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
A problem shared is a problem halved... Or so it goes, the moaning is human nature, I read these threads and select which I find useful - the rest are just filling. My FPace is pretty good a few niggles and some things I want to set up but nothing catastrophic yet.

If they were all perfect this forum would be boring....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think I might rename myself Victor Meldrew, yes I have had a few moans on this forum but also there have been quite a few lighter moments, above all we have learned about the issues we can look for and realise we are not alone with the problem.
I personally am glad I am a member of the forum am jealous of those who have the cars and can give us who have not received them yet an inside into what to expect

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pos.k said:
Well, forgive me Mr supermarket.
It may be relatively unimportant for you, but for me having dropped £63,360 on. a car I expect basics to be right.
I fully understand that mechanical things can fail, but simple stuff like an oil seal should be right. It's not rocket science.
Oh truth me throwing £60k into a motor is important to any of us including Mr Supermarket lol but I just don't let it get to me if things aren't perfect because I know that the dealer will get it sorted.

Pos.k said:
I think it is totally unreasonable of you to berate people who have had the shine taken off the 2nd biggest purchase of their lives, particularly one so emotive as their car which is purely and completely a discretionary purchase. God forbid we only buy the car we need.
Forgive me for saying it but I just think for some the expectations are too high, especially for a new release.... maybe this is all new territory but from my experience all the afore mentioned issues are just teething problems that all manufacturers suffer.

I'm one week in and the car continues to amaze.

·
Registered
458 Posts
And I'm 1 week in and the cars back at the dealers having the front diff (and who knows what else) surgically removed!
I feel completely justified in being pissed off, but hey news has just come on and recap on the shit going in Nice. Perspective recalibration, and seems Turkey is going shit as well!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pos.k said:
And I'm 1 week in and the cars back at the dealers having the front diff (and who knows what else) surgically removed!
I feel completely justified in being pissed off, but hey news has just come on and recap on the shit going in Nice. Perspective recalibration, and seems Turkey is going shit as well!
Sorry for your trouble, I'm sure you'll be back on the road very soon but you are quite right perspectives need recalibrating with what's happening else where in the world.

My thoughts go out to all those involved.

·
Registered
247 Posts
luminated said:

I'm imagining you as like the guy in Hot Fuzz. Am I near the mark? :D

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bonkers said:
luminated said:

I'm imagining you as like the guy in Hot Fuzz. Am I near the mark? :D
LOL .... Nick Frost or Simon Pegg?

Please don't say you mean Mr Skinner. :(

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Pos.k said:
I feel completely justified in being pissed off, but hey news has just come on and recap on the shit going in Nice
Yeah we had a "perspective realignment" this morning when we woke to the news. Last night before we went to bed we spoke to my mother in law who lives in Cannes and was going to "watch the fireworks in Nice". Turns out she meant from the garden at the house. When we finally got hold of her at breakfast she hadn't even watched the news and wondered why her phone had been going nuts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.