Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a choice of taking delivery mid July would you take it or wait until September ??

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
I presumed the question was being posed with regards to which registration plate to go for; 16 or 66? Ultimately does it make any real difference, in terms of eventual trade-in value? The six month 'jump' in apparent age is only a perceived difference, it doesn't alter anything. It is the actual registration month and the mileage on the car that dictates trade-in values at the end of the day. Having the latest registration plate is surely a vanity thing that can only ever last for a very short while anyway, until the next new plate supercedes it. Put a personalised plate on the car if it really bothers you.

As for waiting to see if production issues get ironed out in the meantime, that raises a whole other aspect that really gets my chimp rattling at the cage! In this day and age, with the instant speed of communication, there is no way we should have to endure a significant time lag before feedback "makes it's way into the production line". Someone else already said it it elsewhere, we should not be treated as Beta testers, we are spending serious sums of money here. We have the right to expect a quality product that is fit for purpose.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Unless there is a reason you don't want to outlay until Sept or you want the new Reg plate then it's easy just get it !!

I'd happily take mid July. Only been waiting 9 months lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
The reality is that if you are deciding now whether or not to take it - it is probably built or due to be built anyway so you will get what you get. I am collecting mine on Friday, but the dealer asked if I wanted to wait until September - they would hold it - no problem!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
catwoman said:
As for waiting to see if production issues get ironed out in the meantime, that raises a whole other aspect that really gets my chimp rattling at the cage! In this day and age, with the instant speed of communication, there is no way we should have to endure a significant time lag before feedback "makes it's way into the production line". Someone else already said it it elsewhere, we should not be treated as Beta testers, we are spending serious sums of money here. We have the right to expect a quality product that is fit for purpose.
Hi CW .. in reality a few months is not a significant time lag for a piece of engineering this complex.

You are absolutely right that the level of testing the public is being subjected to is unreasonable, however expecting zero problems would also be naive so it's a balance we need to be conscious of. As a result when I was asked if I wanted the car early, I said no thanks. My build date is August, which means that some of the learning is built in, but there will be many more tweaks over the coming months and years to the production process. We have the Porsche Macan to blame! JLR make no secret that the car was significant;y re-engineered after the Macan launch. At that point the process become hurried.

I say this as someone who is on the board of a British manufacturing company. Our products have mechanical, electrical and software components, but are nowhere near as complex as a JLR car. Even so we spend many millions a year in R&D and our engineering staff make up 35% of the company. However, with each new product launch we have issues. The difference is, when this occurs someone senior from our company speaks to our customers, offers them a face to face meeting, provides them with a personal contact number, tells them exactly what we are going to do to solve the problem, and then follows up until the problem is resolved.

Some of my most loyal customers are the ones who had the biggest problems with our product, yet we stuck with them through resolution without hiding behind the corporate faceless machine nor making excuses.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a private plate - so my only worry is how much the future value will drop between a 66 to a 16 plate ? It is being built this week so i just hope they have got some of the teething problems sorted mainly the suspension creak. I have never had to wait so long for a new car before so am very tempted to take it ASAP

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd take it now.......the future difference in value will be negligible.....look at the Macans used values...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Shaun431 said:
I have a private plate - so my only worry is how much the future value will drop between a 66 to a 16 plate ? It is being built this week so i just hope they have got some of the teething problems sorted mainly the suspension creak. I have never had to wait so long for a new car before so am very tempted to take it ASAP
Take it man. If you wait worrying about smallish levels of value retention against the huge depreciation your about to get anyway then You could wait forever. Ideally why not wait until the refresh model or next years car etc - can be taken to extremes.

Be thankful it's there and enjoy the bugger while the sun is out for 2 months - that has to be worth something

·
Registered
117 Posts
I did change my July date to September, not because of 16 v 66 but because of the quality issues. However I've now sold my PX privately, and I want my f pace now. Oh bugger, I've shot myself in the foot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Shaun431 said:
If you have a choice of taking delivery mid July would you take it or wait until September ??
Can't wait - I was given the option but build should be this Friday (8th July) and have some personal plates, so hopefully in the next couple of weeks, even though delivery date to me is 8th August

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't keep up with Jones be one of the Jones and get it on your drive!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts