Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there is already an answer on here somewhere but cannot find it, so apologies in advance!

Does ICTP in general have problems identifying music in separate folders for artists from a USB device?

Basically all I have done on my PC is create a folder for each artist, converted the tracks to wav files & put them in their respective folder.

What I was expecting when plugging USB into car was the ability to select an artists folder & play those tracks. I think it recognises about one individual folder correctly, even a picture of the artist! but in general the majority of tracks are grouped into one main folder so I'm left to scan through hundreds of tracks.

So for the experienced ICTP users am I doing something wrong & would I be wasting my time trying to experiment with creating different file formats, keeping ID tags, using different USB makes etc.

Thanks

Gareth

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Hi Gareth

No need to do that (doesn't seem to work for you anyway). I have all my files (around 4000 tracks) in a single root folder. They are a mix of codecs. ICTP sorts it all out just fine. I can browse by album, artist, track or genre as you would expect. Voice search works brilliantly too. Album art is a bit hit and miss but this is a known issue.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
^ Do you always get all tracks for an album showing? I often find albums with just one or two tracks, I know the rest are on the USB stick but ICTPro never finds them, I have 2.5 upgrade.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
RaVolVoR said:
^ Do you always get all tracks for an album showing? I often find albums with just one or two tracks, I know the rest are on the USB stick but ICTPro never finds them, I have 2.5 upgrade.
Well I thought that was happening but then realised this was only the case with certain compilation albums where it seemed to be finding the original album, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Interesting thought... this is a new Album, released in last few weeks. I can't be sure its not repeating previous work and the two that do show are the latest two tracks, so that fits.

I actually don't care, I only listen to music when my wife is in the car, otherwise I like the silence and isolation that I get in the F-Pace when driving, but I ask so I can answer here questions!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
Hi Gareth

No need to do that (doesn't seem to work for you anyway). I have all my files (around 4000 tracks) in a single root folder. They are a mix of codecs. ICTP sorts it all out just fine. I can browse by album, artist, track or genre as you would expect. Voice search works brilliantly too. Album art is a bit hit and miss but this is a known issue.
Thanks everyone. I'll try the above & see what happens. Might be my lack of understanding here but if I've got all tracks on one folder on USB flashdrive how does the ICTP know how to display just tracks from just one artist or a particular album from an individual artist?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
Hi G T

JLR uses Gracenote http://www.gracenote.com/auto/music-recognition-auto/ for artwork, track, artist, album and voice recognition. ICTP will allow you to browse or search via all of these. It works very well.

All my files are just called Track1, Track2, Track3 etc etc. In the root directory. Mainly FLAC and ALAC but some WAV too.
Holy crap I never knew that. And I go through & manually rename my tracks from track 1 etc to what ever they are called! But you are saying if I just leave them as default track 1, 2 etc & mix them all up in the root directory of a usb drive ICTP will be able to pick out individual albums & the name of each track. Bloody fantastic if that works. I'll try it later. Do you also copy over the metadata file or whatever its called to the USB ? Think it creates one for each track you convert.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
G T said:
JLRnumber5 said:
Hi G T

JLR uses Gracenote http://www.gracenote.com/auto/music-recognition-auto/ for artwork, track, artist, album and voice recognition. ICTP will allow you to browse or search via all of these. It works very well.

All my files are just called Track1, Track2, Track3 etc etc. In the root directory. Mainly FLAC and ALAC but some WAV too.
Holy crap I never knew that. And I go through & manually rename my tracks from track 1 etc to what ever they are called! But you are saying if I just leave them as default track 1, 2 etc & mix them all up in the root directory of a usb drive ICTP will be able to pick out individual albums & the name of each track. Bloody fantastic if that works. I'll try it later. Do you also copy over the metadata file or whatever its called to the USB ? Think it creates one for each track you convert.
Yup! That's exactly how it works Gareth. Technology eh? Great stuff!

No you don't need the metadata (what encode are you using .. I recommend FLAC or ALAC - seems more reliable for album art for some reason). Just need the raw file, untouched.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll check the encode type later. It will be whatever the default is Adobe Audition. I take it you dont get any problems then with multiple files called track 1, 2 etc? Doesn't ask to rename or overwrite existing file called track 1 ?

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
i put my albums in each folder and call that folder the name of the album, then put the tracks i want in each folder and then i copy the folders to my USB, all works fine with album search and i can not only voice search the album but also the tracks within the folders.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
most of my FLACs were ripped with dbPoweramp .. and the ALAC's with iTunes .. which to be honest has now become my defacto just because of ease and how it integrates with my home hifi so easily.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
most of my FLACs were ripped with dbPoweramp .. and the ALAC's with iTunes .. which to be honest has now become my defacto just because of ease and how it integrates with my home hifi so easily.
Kind of got it sorted but still not the way you suggest. I did have another look at my ICTP & noticed when I tap on "find" there are another 4 options to select. One of those is 3 dots & I can then select the individual folders I created. The other 3 options, head & mic, music symbol & something else don't really do anything for me. Certainly doesn't identify the individual artists or albums.
I did try your suggestions. I copied 3 different albums using flac encode & kept the files named track 1 etc. Created 3 folders & named them after the artist/album & copied the tracks to relevant folders. As before using the 3 dots on ICTP I found my 3 folders but the tracks are called track 1, 2 etc No software like gracenote is automatically naming them. I also tried on another USB flashdrive copying all the tracks to root directory, not creating indivudual folders & as I thought would happen I get asked to eithet replace file called track 1, don' do anything or create a new file & call it track 1 (2) track 1 (3) & so on. When this USB is put in car its worse as I haven't created individual folders just a bunch of tracks called CD track 1, CD track 6 (2). Nothing is identifying the artist or album by just putting the individual flac files onto a USB. Am I missing something or doing something wrong or is ICTP & this gracenote software not doing what its suppose to do?

Btw the microfit flash drives I have used are a samsung usb 3 64 gb & lexar usb 3 64gb & 128gb.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I *think* (might be wrong) that Gracenote needs the 3G connectivity, so check that's working (someone correct me if I am wrong)

As for browsing by artist, album, etc .. the options for doing this are along the bottom of the ICTP screen when you have USB selected as source. Across the centre (highlighted) you will see what looks like an outline of a head, a musical note, etc ... if you press these you will then be browsing via that category.

PS ... do you have iTunes (just so we can create a baseline that I know works) ... RIP a CD (select ALAC/lossless) then drag and drop those tracks to a blank USB drive. Now go try that in the car. Doing nothing else the car should recognise those tracks/artist and allow you to browse as per above.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
I *think* (might be wrong) that Gracenote needs the 3G connectivity, so check that's working (someone correct me if I am wrong)

As for browsing by artist, album, etc .. the options for doing this are along the bottom of the ICTP screen when you have USB selected as source. Across the centre (highlighted) you will see what looks like an outline of a head, a musical note, etc ... if you press these you will then be browsing via that category.

PS ... do you have iTunes (just so we can create a baseline that I know works) ... RIP a CD (select ALAC/lossless) then drag and drop those tracks to a blank USB drive. Now go try that in the car. Doing nothing else the car should recognise those tracks/artist and allow you to browse as per above.
Hi. Yep got a data sim & 3G connectivity all fine. Symbol displayed on screen so probably isn't that.

What you suggest by displaying by artist etc is what I was trying to explain but not as good as you put it. Outline of head I assume means artist. If I select that it doesnt recognise any of the 3 album artists. If I select musical note which I assume is name of track they all appear as CD track 1, 2 etc if I havent renamed them. Thenonly usefull option for me is the three dots where I can select a folder on the USB but like I said even that is only helpful if I have created individual folders & named the tracks which I did originally do so all is good. If I dont create folders or rename tracks then all I get even with the three dot option is a list of tracks called CD Track 1, 2, 3

Afraid I don't use itunes but I will give it a try though.

Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.