Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced any issues with USB audio files ? I have the Meridian audio system into which I have a 64GB memory stick connected for music playback.

The system says that there are 7777 files on the memory stick which is less than there actually are. There are a number of folders that aren't visible also. All the files are in the correct formats for playback.

Is there a limit to the size of memory stick that the unit can read ?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Largeparts said:
Has anyone experienced any issues with USB audio files ? I have the Meridian audio system into which I have a 64GB memory stick connected for music playback.

The system says that there are 7777 files on the memory stick which is less than there actually are. There are a number of folders that aren't visible also. All the files are in the correct formats for playback.

It's punishing you for listening to such compressed music! :lol:

(sorry I don't know the answer but you might fund some nuggets of info in the attached)

View attachment Audio System.pdf

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
I have a 64mb stick that works but i have not got the amount of songs you have so it may be related to that more then the size of the stick.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Largeparts said:

(sorry I don't know the answer but you might fund some nuggets of info in the attached)

View attachment 2467
What a top quality .Pdf, where the hell did you find that, hats off to you.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
[quote="JLRnumber5"

View attachment 2467 [/quote]

Oooh..... Anyone notice the mention of dual view on page 13???

So it is possible then, but not for us early birds?? :eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
corriescar66 said:
JLRnumber5 said:

View attachment 2467

Had this option on my Evoque, think you have to pay for the TV option on the Fpace to get this.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Jagfpacejk said:
corriescar66 said:
JLRnumber5 said:

View attachment 2467

Had this option on my Evoque, think you have to pay for the TV option on the Fpace to get this.
I have spec'd TV, but as far as I am aware, it is single view.... On my last Range Rover it was an option, but not currently listed on UK conflabulator.....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Should I use a USB2 or a USB3 Flash Drive memory stick upon which to transfer my music for use in the car, anybody with a spare minute please. Perhaps a daft question as I'm not sure what I'm talking about. HELP !!!

Any responses incorporating the word 'calibre' will be seriously frowned upon.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Hi Yorkie .... USB3.0 is bloomin fast!! However!! As with Jaguar there is always a BUT!! ... The internal 60Gb SSD only has 10Gb of space for music files ... utterly pathetic .. so I wouldn't bother with transferring any files. Just leave them on the USB .. in which case USB3.0 speeds matter not a jot ... however USB3.0 media is now so cheap you might as well get one. That way you can copy all your music onto it pronto (assuming you have a USB3.0 socket in your home PC/Mac - if not it's backwards compatible with USB2.0)

I bought the Samsung MUF-BB 128 GB USB 3.0 MicroFit Flash Drive for £21.99 off Amazon.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well, the topix document about the cd player 'fix' talked about disconnecting the usb2 hub. If that is the case then whatever else is there you will be probably be limited to usb2 throughput. nonsense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
Largeparts said:

View attachment 2467
Thanks for the PDF, that's quite some document !

I know what you mean about the compression rates. Everything I've ripped from CD is at 320kbps so it's the best quality I'm likely to get. My old XF had the HDD for copying CDs to. Thinking now, I perhaps should have gone for the InTouch Pro. Too late for that now though ......

·
Registered
419 Posts
JLRnumber5 and Pos.k. Excellent responses as ever, many thanks indeed.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Hi Yorkie .... USB3.0 is bloomin fast!! However!! As with Jaguar there is always a BUT!! ... The internal 60Gb SSD only has 10Gb of space for music files ... utterly pathetic .. so I wouldn't bother with transferring any files. Just leave them on the USB .. in which case USB3.0 speeds matter not a jot ... however USB3.0 media is now so cheap you might as well get one. That way you can copy all your music onto it pronto (assuming you have a USB3.0 socket in your home PC/Mac - if not it's backwards compatible with USB2.0)

I bought the Samsung MUF-BB 128 GB USB 3.0 MicroFit Flash Drive for £21.99 off Amazon.
Totally agree, I am steering clear of loading up the media centre, 64gb same stick with 500 songs on it, almost instant load up in the car everytime the ignition goes on, and I am happy with that, no issues so far....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks for that confirmation F-Pace S. ;)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Largeparts said:
I know what you mean about the compression rates. Everything I've ripped from CD is at 320kbps so it's the best quality I'm likely to get. My old XF had the HDD for copying CDs to. Thinking now, I perhaps should have gone for the InTouch Pro. Too late for that now though ......
You don't say what compression or encoding format you are using, if you are using mp3 have you considered FLAC which is a lossless encoding method that is recognised by the car audio system.

I ripped my CDs using fre:ac set to output as FLAC files, this is a free app that can be downloaded from https://www.freac.org/index.php/en

As a comparison of file size one of my tracks is about 7MB as a .mp3 and about 34 MB as a .flac

Using FLAC should give you the same quality as the original CD.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I bet there's a secret submenu for the audio setting on the Meridian, would love to have a look through that.

P.S.
Had a work mate in the car today when the old Bluetooth started to play up on one of the songs, to my shock he said his new 430d BMW was awful and would hardly play a single song through Bluetooth... he has resorted it hardwiring his iPhone. It appears JLR ain't the worst that some here believe them to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jim said:
Largeparts said:
You don't say what compression or encoding format you are using, if you are using mp3 have you considered FLAC which is a lossless encoding method that is recognised by the car audio system.

I ripped my CDs using fre:ac set to output as FLAC files, this is a free app that can be downloaded from https://www.freac.org/index.php/en

As a comparison of file size one of my tracks is about 7MB as a .mp3 and about 34 MB as a .flac

Using FLAC should give you the same quality as the original CD.
I'm using MP3 mostly with no issues over which files will play, they're all 320kbps. The fact that not all the music files on the memory stick are shown is the issue. I'll have a faff around with a couple of different sticks to see if there's any joy elsewhere.

I'll have a bash at lossless audio though. Although I've spent the last three months on and off ripping all my CDs to a portable hard drive !

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I dragged all albums from iTunes onto a Samsung 128Gb USB stick, works well, takes as long to load as getting the 3G signal active. But I have not managed to get any playlists on the chip. (As I know naff all about this stuff so I follow instructions blind). Is there a way to do this? The missus resorted to using her old iPod for playlists and the chip for the rest of it on our recent Devon trip. Seems generally to work fine but sometimes the carousel view of the albums shows maybe 3 out of 15 tracks... and won't play the others, then when you go to another album and back they appear! I assume part of the general ICTPro failings?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts