Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the post about buying a ultra high speed USB stick, rather than the cost of a new iPod for my music. One thing I was wondering was if you could help me, owners of our mighty car is with a photo or two ....of the location of the USB int the armrest, if a horizontal USB stuck out of it all the time, would it restrict use of the rest of the pocket area, for keys, pen etc

An iPod would simply plug in, and sit at the bottom of the space, so wanted a sanity check on the USB stick.

Could anyone show me a pic to get an idea before I buy it ready for delivery so we can set it up with the dealer?

TIA

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes it is a horizontal position near the top so you wouldn't want to knock it - but it would be possible to for sure.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
I use a USB stick, did in my previous Evoque, the USB stick and socket are quite robust but it does restrict the area in and around the USB stick but I find there are many different places to store items so do not find it an issue, if you want to use the area regularly then it would be worth while looking at something like a USB storage device which has a fly lead that you could put into the bottom of the area and allow use of this area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't help you with a picture as not due to pick up car till the end of month, but I have purchased this one (Samsung MUF-BB 64 GB USB 3.0 MicroFit Flash Drive - White) from amazon and loaded it with music in anticipation.
Very unintrusive unlike a stick, scandisk do a micro fit one too. HTH

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
frogeye said:
I can't help you with a picture as not due to pick up car till the end of month, but I have purchased this one (Samsung MUF-BB 64 GB USB 3.0 MicroFit Flash Drive - White) from amazon and loaded it with music in anticipation.
Very unintrusive unlike a stick, scandisk do a micro fit one too. HTH
Frogeye, perfect solution thank you, just bought one!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Or buy a second hand iPod from eBay. You never see them so one with a scratch or two on the backing or face makes no difference. I did and it has worked fine plus the benefit of a straightforward interface with iTune player on my laptop which is where all of my music is bought and is the master library.

Arianne

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Arianne said:
Or buy a second hand iPod from eBay. You never see them so one with a scratch or two on the backing or face makes no difference. I did and it has worked fine plus the benefit of a straightforward interface with iTune player on my laptop which is where all of my music is bought and is the master library.

Arianne
I have that in my BMW and may try it as well, but sometimes old iPods don't like being on all the time in the car, usb's have less"brain" to go wrong! I am a Mac/iTunes/Apple man too so will see how I go...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Just one warning though. Check that the IPod generation version is compatible with your Jaguar. In my current car (not a Jag yet), the car won't recognise anything earlier than Gen3. You don't want to buy a cheap one that's too old as it won't work.

Arianne

·
Registered
473 Posts
Arianne said:
Just one warning though. Check that the IPod generation version is compatible with your Jaguar. In my current car (not a Jag yet), the car won't recognise anything earlier than Gen3. You don't want to buy a cheap one that's too old as it won't work.

Arianne
I have an 7+ year old ipod in my FP it works but is sloooooooooooow , bringing up menus on ITCP is a little protrcated, it was exactly the same in my old Audi so an old gen ipod issue not ITCP :D

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here is a pic of mine - As I've said before works a treat. It probable blocks about 2/3rd space. But as I only keep 1 cd and the iPhone plugged in there its fine.

Thats stubby little one looks even better tho

Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Grille

JLR5 - A couple of days ago you mentioned wanting music on the media library rather than USB for voice control. I haven't done this as Im not too fussed re Voice Control but Im pretty sure you can rip from USB to Media Library. Don't know how long it would take so its something I might try on a long trip

Hope this helps

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it helps, I copied about 10gb of albums from usb stick to media library in a matter of minutes (can't remember exactly but I think it was less than 20 minutes). I did it in chunks of 7 or 8 albums at a time in case anything went wrong. It was certainly quick and easy, and means I don't have the usb stick getting in the way in the cubby.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Found the 128GB version on Amazom for £21. Ordered two!
A question, will the car read 128GByte USB sticks? And if I want to export from iTunes what format do I choose? A link to an idiot guide would be perfect if anyone knows of one. I would like to keep wife happy (quiet!) with full music library in car and avoid having to carry her old iPod, fear it (iPod) will be giving up the ghost soon!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi RaVolVoR

Im sure any size of USB will work so 128 GB will be fine. ~The key is to make sure its a v3.0 as they have far higher transfer speeds than the v2.0.

In terms of getting music from iTunes to USB stick I literally just dragged and dropped 200 albums from iTunes to USB stick on an iMac took about 30mins. Each album takes approx 10 seconds.

IMO - v3.0 USB is far better than an IPod in terms of speed of access, compatibility and obviously cost.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone let me know what the HDMI socket is for please?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts