Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Tyre size question

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Mohawk 
#1 ·
When I ordered my D300 HSE, I specified 20 inch wheels. I noted that summer tyres would be fitted. I informed the sales rep that I would be replacing the summer with all seasons tyres. The rep said he would arrange to have the new tyres fitted for the hand over.

When I was notified my new car was on it's way, I asked the dealer to confirm the tyre size. He told me 255/55R20. So I purchased a set of tyres and they were fitted by the dealer on the day I collected the new car.

My question is this. I got a message from the TPMS the other day that one of the tyres was a little soft. So I stopped at a local garage to use the air pump. When I checked the required pressure on the info plate, the 20 inch wheels were listed as 255/50R20.

So is there any potential risk from having 255/55R20 tyres fitted instead of 255/50R20 tyres?

I've not noticed any instability or problems with braking or cornering. The fuel consumption calculated by the trip meter is almost the same as a brim to brim calculation after filling with diesel.

I'd appreciate any insight on my situation.

Thanks.

George D.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #7 ·
Well I have some good news.

I visited my dealer yesterday and explained the situation. After a quick consultation with the sales manager, they have agreed to replace the tyres with the correct sized tyres at no cost to me. The new tyres are on order and they will let me know when to come in to have them fitted.

I was a bit surprised they did not put up an objection, as I had bought the tyres myself and the dealer only fitted them for me. It seems the fact that the sales rep had advised me of the wrong tyre size and that they did not notice the tyres I gave them were wrong, meant they had to accept responsibility.

So I'm pretty pleased all things considered.

George D.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
I got my new tyres fitted yesterday. It may be my imagination, but the ride seems quieter and smoother.

Kudos to Park's Jaguar Land Rover in Inverness for being so helpful in sorting this problem out.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
The quieter aspect could be a change in brand, but there are only 4db difference really between best and worst on the market
The new tyres are the same brand and type as the old ones. Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Seasons.

The only difference is the side wall size. The old ones we're 255/55R20. The new ones are 255/50R20.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.