Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm picking up my first 10ft kayak next week. I've got the roof rails and also bought the watersports kit which includes two straps to secure the boat to the rails. I'm also wondering whether I need to secure the front and back too? That would involve passing a rope through the kayak's handles then down to, I guess, the towing eyes (I'll guess I'd need to buy another one as there only appears to be one).

Is this overkill? Necessary? Are there any other suitable anchor points so to avoid having to faff around with the towing eyes?

Any tips appreciated!

·
Registered
922 Posts
As automotive safety engineer a few though come to mind, :? how secure is the current set up without the extra straps? How stable is the kayaks own integrity at road speeds, and it's aerodynamic potential to cause any issues. In addition to this would the drivers view be partially obscured by extra securement straps / ropes etc front and rear?
Also not 100% sure how these may affect the forward safety cameras mounted in the windscreen in front of rear view mirror?
:idea: Would have thought Jaguar may have some guidance in the manual on securing roof loads!... worth a look !

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have carried a bunch of surfing / windsurfing gear on my roof for over 20yrs (also the odd kayak too!) and, to most people's surprise, it doesn't take much to secure the load - as long as you have strapped the load to the roof bars with some decent straps and given it all a good wiggle to make sure it's secure, you'll be fine - no need to use the towing eyes.... Obviously don't go nailing it down the motorway tho! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts