Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had our drives this morning (well dad drove, I had the chauffeur seat). Took a 2.0d Portfolio on 20s out first. Had a long drive up a speed bumpy, pot holed side street, into a tight country lane, out onto a duel carriageway then onto the motorway before a wider country lane and normal streets back to the showroom.

Wow, what a beautiful machine! Very, very impressed :eek:

Dad was a little worried at the overall size, parked up these things look huge.. but within the first few yards he said he felt right at home and the car fitted like a glove. He said he didn't get that nervous feeling that you normally get driving a new/different car. It just felt perfect for him.He also said it doesn't feel particularly big on the roads either. Phew :p

It rode incredibly well. Lovely and tight, literally no road noise, no squeaks/rattles or crashing from pot holes. It's very comfy, had no body roll etc. It handled really well, it felt just like how a jag should. Also, I'm really liking the oyster interior. The car was incredibly light and airy inside. The rear passenger space is vast, I had bags of room with dad set in his normal driving position.

After the portfolio we had a long wait for the S to come back (Jaguar hot chocolate passed the time nicely).

The S was riding on 22s so we wanted to drive it back to back to see how it compares. To be honest, it felt exactly the same as on the 20s. We only had a quick run round the block so didn't get chance to try the adaptives or any of the other toys. If you're worried about the ride quality on 22s, fear not, you can certainly sleep easy now :)

Very excited now, the car is even better than we hoped. Another chap arrived not long after us in a Porsche Macan, ugly thing in comparison but very nicely finished inside. Things like the leather dash top was nicer than the more plastic feeling Jag dash. I do much prefer the Jag interior though. I'm not very keen on the overly large centre section in the Porsche :?

We had a good look over 3 FPs and the quality seems fine. The only bad thing I really noticed was the bonnet/bumper shut line as someone mentioned on here before. Other than that, it all looks good to me :) things like the metal finishers around the seat controls on the portfolio were a lovely touch. The R Sport had all plastic buttons which looks a bit naff.

Pics..

Cheers

Chris :D

G

·
Thank you for this feedback.
Can't wait to drive it.
Is it glacier white or polaris white for the S?

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
Yes, thanks for such a good write-up and lots of pictures!

I am really looking forward to getting behind the wheel with the engine running now . . . only a few more hours to go!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thank you for the write up and pictures. The F-Pace has a much
nicer derrière than the Macan. Do like the side and front three-quarter view on both. Share your views on the Macan centre section.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No probs. I do get a little snap happy sometimes lol :lol:

I'm not sure which white it is but I'd guess the standard white (is the other metallic white?).

Its been a long wait for the test drives but I'm sure no one will be disappointed. Can't wait til dads arrives so I can take it out for a cruise!

The FP looks so much better from the rear 3/4 than the Macan. It dwarfs the baby porker from they view.

The Porsche interior was all leather (lighter brown seats, darker brown dashboard) except for the centre console section, where all the buttons are. That was black plastic and looked a bit out of place in the sea of brown leather. It probably stood out worse due to the colour choice. With an all black dash you wouldn't notice it.
Also the rear leg and head room looked very tight compared with the big Jag.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Great info and pics blue - thanks for that. Am doing the same exercise next Monday (and also trying the Macan the same day). Prefer the looks of the jag, but would not yet count out the Porsche. Sat in one last week and the interior was probably the best I have seen.

·
Registered
260 Posts
catwoman said:
I know the Macan drives great, but when it comes to looks, it's like comparing a Parrot to a Peregrine! :lol:
At least give the Macan the option of being compared to the beautiful Hyacinth Macaw. That said I do agree with you as personally there's something about the Macan that's just not quite right about the way it looks. The F-Pace however looks stunning from every angle.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Bluediamond,

Posts coming in with regard to noisy 2L engine, uncomfortable in back, hesitant/surging - does this ring any bells with your favourable review or do you think they've just been unlucky?

One "professional" review said that the 2L was quieter than either of the 3L's. I ask only because for me, the principle features are comfort and quietness with enough power to be safe (obvs).

I would have PM'd you but I can't see how to do it now!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good photos! F-Pace looks massive against the Macan or is it the angle?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Parrot to peregrine :lol: :lol: :lol:

The 3/4 angle FP vs Macan, it does make the F look huge in comparison. It is a good chunk larger I'd say. The roofline is taller and longer for a start. Not in a bad way though. I think the true size is somewhere in between the Macan and the Cayenne.

Ref the noisey posts, i think something must have been wrong with that car. Our portfolio was very quiet in the back, I even had to ask if the stop/start had cut in at one point. We have a noisey 2.0d Mitsubishi outlander on the drive (and a 2.7d S Type), the F is like a Rolls in comparison to the clattery Mitsi!

The 3.0d sounded more (performance) diesel like, we were just cruising in the 2.0d and the engine was never intrusive. I never felt isolated from people in the front like you get on an average saloon car. We were all chatting away at a normal conversation volume with no problem at all.

Dad gave it a good bootful (slightly uphill) onto the motorway slip road and the engine was still very quiet and refined in the rear. It pulled nice and clean for the power. We were 3 up, plus fuel and it didn't feel laggy

I actually gopro'd the whole 30ish minute test drive but haven't shared it as we sound like a right bunch of nerds waffling away lol.

The rear seats,, on the portfolio the centre section is very pronounced. This wasn't particularly noticeable in the S or showroom R Sport. If you push your shoulders back into the top section of the rear upright of the seat, it was a bit uncomfortable but nothing that the armrest and a slight change of seating position couldn't sort. But, some people prefer stiffer seats, I no my mom would have been fine with that as she prefers a straight back seat.

The rear bench is quite hard overall really, the front seats feel a lot more spongey/soft.

Dad did notice a slight bit of hesitation, possibly more of a 'speed of gear choice', with the gearbox. But remember it's an 8 speed 2.0d so its bound to be quite busy swapping cogs around town while it's trying to keep the car in the best part of the torque curve.

Dad wants the car for normal, comfy daily driving. He doesn't want the power these days, or the big speed capabilities. He didn't feel the car lacked in that department at all :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well after reading your description I am definitely going back to try the "other" 2Litre my dealer has (R-Sport) as your experience is the complete opposite of ours...

Glad you enjoyed the ride.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hope your 2nd drive is better David. I honestly think that first car must have had a problem. Iv quizzed Dad a little more this morning to compare your thoughts to his and he was very surprised your drive was so bad :(

·
Registered
453 Posts
Id have to agree i test drove a portfolio on saturday afternoon, i thought the car was excellent, i initially thought the car was a little sluggish compared to my SD4 engined freelander, which is no slouch and really moves when you boot it. I commented on the fact, the salesman said the engine being brand new could be a little tight even tho they are bench run in.... then he put the car in to dynamic mode which all cars have, sport mode on my Freelander. that made quite a difference throttle response was sharper and car responded quicker easily as good as my Freelander and possibly better. which is the same engine and transmission as an Evoque.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Shaunyt said:
Id have to agree i test drove a portfolio on saturday afternoon, i thought the car was excellent, i initially thought the car was a little sluggish compared to my SD4 engined freelander, which is no slouch and really moves when you boot it. I commented on the fact, the salesman said the engine being brand new could be a little tight even tho they are bench run in.... then he put the car in to dynamic mode which all cars have, sport mode on my Freelander. that made quite a difference throttle response was sharper and car responded quicker easily as good as my Freelander and possibly better. which is the same engine and transmission as an Evoque.
The comment of the engine being tight is true because from experience a few thousand miles on a diesel motor makes a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
453 Posts
luminated said:
Shaunyt said:
The comment of the engine being tight is true because from experience a few thousand miles on a diesel motor makes a noticeable difference.
Yes totally agree ive had diesel engined cars for years only about 3 brand new cars but the engines did start to loosen as said after a few thousand miles... The Freelander feels a lot quicker and the MPG has gone up a few miles per gallon since i 1st got it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Don't forget that leather dashboard on the Macan would have been a very expensive (£2162) option, I know I paid for it when I had mine, . The Macan looks like a ugly duckling compared to the F-Pace when parked up together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the review and the pictures.

I have the Portfolio in Sapphire blue with 22" turbine wheels (3.0D, non UK car) on order and there are not so many 'real' pictures in the colour... so thanks.

What colour was the interior? I've order the Latte/expresso was that on the oyster?

I was close to ordering the Macan when the F-PACE came out ...... close call LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.