Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 months after placing my deposit I finally had my test drive in a 2l R Sports in black with black pack and 20" wheels.
Initial thoughts were really good but as the drive progressed I became more and more disappointed with the new 2 litre engine. Take off was either slow or surging and on the motor way ran out of steam at the top end (70+). The ride could be jittery at times with some vibration on braking. Perhaps coming from my 2.2 XF Sport I was expecting too much! This is still a brilliant car but needs the 3 litre to do it justice. Unfortunately the extra £10k means I will have to wait a little longer. For the time being I still have my excellent XF.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I can imagine. The 2.0 has 180 BHP doesn't it ? Saw one today and looked brilliant but just felt then2 litre would be a bit disappointing but maybe they are trying to get the company fleet market with that. I didn't drive one but can imagine it just doesn't have enough punch for a lot of people. I've got a 3.0 S XF and that's the sort of power I want really
The 3.0 diesel F pace I drove had a similar amount and was just what it needs
Saying that many people will be happy with the 2.0 and it hits the right points for them so sure it will sell very well

·
Registered
50 Posts
I too had my test drive today in 2ltr AWD R Sport.
Positives it was very comfortable, handled well and I found the engine had plenty of pull. It did either hesitate or surge as g8gal says. I put this down to the automatic box as I am not used to automatic and it confirmed my view that I would stick to manual for a smoother ride and more control.
Negatives - it felt even bigger (wider) than I feared and was hard going in narrow lanes. I insisted in trying to park in a car park with marked spaces. Couldn't get enough space either side for doors to open both sides. Measured it and there was 15 inches one side (barely enough) and 6 inches the other (impossible). Not sure it was a standard car park (it was a shop car park) but a bit of a killer. Can't see doors remaining unmarked for long.
My wife sat in back for half test and found it very hard and felt every pothole. Not a problem in front which she confirmed when she swapped over. Car was on 20 inch wheels.
Finally (should have realised from looking at static car) satnav screen is very low and you have to take eyes off road to see it as opposed to my current Audi Allroad where it is much higher.
So a bit of a mixed bag really liked a lot of it but width a problem for me.
Some hard thinking to do before Friday when I need to confirm (for my 8 May build slot) or cancel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
g8gal said:
6 months after placing my deposit I finally had my test drive in a 2l R Sports in black with black pack and 20" wheels.
Initial thoughts were really good but as the drive progressed I became more and more disappointed with the new 2 litre engine. Take off was either slow or surging and on the motor way ran out of steam at the top end (70+). The ride could be jittery at times with some vibration on braking. Perhaps coming from my 2.2 XF Sport I was expecting too much! This is still a brilliant car but needs the 3 litre to do it justice. Unfortunately the extra £10k means I will have to wait a little longer. For the time being I still have my excellent XF.
Hi I test drove the 3.0S and the r sport. I found the seats were uncomfortable and the ride firm. If you suffer from back pain I would avoid both models.
Test driving the portfolio tomorrow, hope it's more comfortable.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Guys if you are finding the F-Pace's ride uncomfortable why are you selling you Rollers because it definitely isn't an Audi, BMW or Porsche that's for sure. lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
luminated said:
Guys if you are finding the F-Pace's ride uncomfortable why are you selling you Rollers because it definitely isn't an Audi, BMW or Porsche that's for sure. lol
????

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
redd88jess said:
g8gal said:
Hi I test drove the 3.0S and the r sport. I found the seats were uncomfortable and the ride firm. If you suffer from back pain I would avoid both models.
Test driving the portfolio tomorrow, hope it's more comfortable.
I drove the 3.0s diesel on 22 inch rims. I thought it was really good and the seats very comfortable and nice and firm. I have my XF portfolio 3.0 to compare against and thought it was pretty good

·
Registered
948 Posts
Nastro azzurro said:
luminated said:
What do you mean by that?
Rollers meant Rolls Royce. ;)

Having owned the Q7, X6, Cayenne along with my current RRSport I know the F-Pace's competition and their good and bad points, with the exception of the RRSport the others don't possess the ride quality to match the F-Pace never mind beat it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Our test drive isn't until 30 April because we just don't have time before then, but our dealer has promised us 2hrs on our own in the 3.0d V6 S, upon which we have a £1k deposit order.

I have seen various F Pace cars in four dealerships over the last few days. My assessment is that, for interior quality, the sweet spot is around the £40k mark typical of the 2litre models with a few options included.

The dilemma for me is that I don't think the 180bhp engine will give me the joy I am seeking on the twisty roads here in the Scottish Borders or on the German autobahn when were travelling to The Alps for our holidays. Journalists have said it is a decent engine, quieter than the units in the DiscoSport and Evoque but that the gearbox needs to work hard to optimise power delivery when pushed. The best quote is that it will offer most people what they need most of the time.

Which is a shame because that means the only choice is the S model with the £11k premium. And at that price point the overall package is less clear, but with a little analysis, it still is a decent proposition. Why?

Well, coming in at almost the same list price is the BMW X4 with the 30d engine and same wonderful ZF auto box, albeit programmed differently to the Jaguar system. The run flat tyres deliver a harsher ride, road noise is worse than my current Volvo XC60, the rear cabin is cramped with an oddly positioned low rear bench, smallish boot and worse build quality in the cabin. BMW will offer discounts and dealer contributions on the buying package though.

The Porsche Macan is the other obvious contender. You get the Porsche badge, necessary in my opinion to counter the questionable appearance of the car since the Porsche design language doesn't transfer across to the Macan quite so well. Although marginally cheaper than the F-Pace 3.0d S, the Porsche needs a significant spend on the options to get it to feel like the premium car it should be. By the time that's been completed the list price is higher than the F-Pace, by some margin. Residuals are likely to be better than the F-Pace though. The Porsche is a better built car inside but it's a bit old school with it's many buttons and outdated SatNav display.

What else is there? I have tried both the Porsche and the BMW X4 and I am really hoping that the drive off the F-Pace will be good enough. The early reviews and recent test drive posts for the 3.0d are encouraging. I am not seeking a harsh, loud exhaust performance SUV and the reviews indicate that the F-Pace is well balanced in that respect.

I have concluded that there is no such thing as the perfect car at our price point. Most people would be swooning for any F-Pace so, if you are seriously contemplating one or have it on order, I guess life is being good to you and me!

Enjoy.

Arianne

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good luck with the decision. £40k 2.0 Ingenium with a few options is the sweet spot. That's actually the term one of the Jag management used at a launch event

Life's short though. Have what you WANT not what you NEED if you can afford to do so. I only need the 2.0d Ingenium but I want the smiles per mile and all round ability the 3.0d should deliver. In fairness, by the time I had spec'd an R-Sport I was into £50k anyway. That's a whole lot for a 2 litre vehicle and at that point the S package starts to make a pretty tempting proposition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts