Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced this? Feel like the princess and the pea... can feel every tiny bump in the road... feels like there is no give at all. Even making my back hurt.

Surely this can't be normal?

Any advice welcome!

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
There is a thread already about this, search up Adaptive Suspension surprisingly hard in normal mode and you see what others have said.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Boolia said:
Has anyone else experienced this? Feel like the princess and the pea... can feel every tiny bump in the road... feels like there is no give at all. Even making my back hurt.

Any advice welcome!
Is this your first experience of a SPORTS Utility Vehicle?

The problem is that to make it handle as well as it does the suspension needs to be firmer than a regular saloon due to its higher centre of gravity.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Boolia said:

Any advice welcome!
F-Pace is naturally a performance biased SUV as opposed to most others which tend to be more forgiving across bumps but sloppy and wallow in corners. If you drive mostly in the city then it's possible that this setup isn't one which will reap the best reward for you - in the city folk want softer suspension to improve the ride comfort and they rarely drive fast enough to experience the magic of the F-Pace sportier suspension.

But there are some things you can do that may help. First, ensure that your tyre pressures are at the minimum level permissible on your car. You get a huge amount of forgiveness from the tyres but not if they are pumped up too hard.

Secondly, if you have configurable dynamics then set the suspension to the normal mode and not sport dynamic mode. It has a small impact but does loosen the suspension a bit.

And that's it really. What size wheels have you got on your car? The bigger the wheel rim, the smaller the depth of the tyre (the overall size of the wheel and tyre together is always the same so bigger wheel rims must, by necessity, result in smaller tyre walls). Smaller wheel rims mean more tyre wall and a more forgiving ride. Big wheel rims look fabulous but provide a more tetchy ride experience. The smallest on F-Pace is 18" rims and the biggest is 22".

You may get used to it over time. Other performance biased cars are the same and F-Pace is actually far better than most of them.

Arianne

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have had Range Rovers for the last 10 years and decided to go for the F Pace this time so am very used to driving an SUV. I have 19 inch with 255/R19 Pirelli tyres. Some of my favourite tyres are General Grabbers so could change to see if that makes a difference? Type pressure is too high. Just checked and it is 38 all round so will change to 34 tomorrow. Will call dealer to see if the k383 update has been applied. Slightly different niggle but just put CD in for first time and not only will it not play but it won't eject either! Brilliant!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Boolia said:
Thanks for the replies. I have had Range Rovers for the last 10 years and decided to go for the F Pace this time so am very used to driving an SUV. I have 19 inch with 255/R19 Pirelli tyres. Some of my favourite tyres are General Grabbers so could change to see if that makes a difference? Type pressure is too high. Just checked and it is 38 all round so will change to 34 tomorrow. Will call dealer to see if the k383 update has been applied. Slightly different niggle but just put CD in for first time and not only will it not play but it won't eject either! Brilliant!!
If it's the regular Range Rover then you will notice a huge difference between it and the F Pace, prior to buying my first RRSport I drove one of the last models and the difference between it and the latest version was considerable I felt with the new one much stiffer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a RRS. The F Pace's suspension seems much firmer. My back is actually hurting due to too many speed bumps today. The Freelander I had sailed Iver bumps no issues.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
My Evoque (based on Freelander) was great at humps and bumps. FP is very poor with some types of bumps and great at others. Very Jekyll and Hyde. The way I'm looking at it is it's a small price to pay for the way it handles. 90% of my ride is "wow" the other 10% is "woooaaaw" and it does have me taking a slightly longer route home to avoid humps. Which I guess is their purpose!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
.... and today I took a roundabout on the A3 at about 20mph faster than I would have done in the Evoque and the FP stayed completely flat and calm and almost said "is that the best you can do?"

So I forgive it.

G

·
My friend who drove my F-Pace and who had an X1 prior to his 330xd was really impressed by the handling.
I have to admit it's fun to drive :)
Again, I'm not considering it too firm, I consider the suspension doesn't filter properly. It's as if it hardens too much on the bumps which make it "jump" and bounce.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Personally I do not find it too hard as I have had cars with harder suspension but I guess it all depends on what you have driven in the past.

You will get used to it.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
So with some of these responses I feel like screaming "nooooo ... you're not feeling what I'm feeling!!" .. which in itself is curious.

I don't find the suspension hard. In fact given the massive 22" wheels and the way this thing corners I think the suspension does a remarkable job. Even in Dynamic mode it smooths out potholes in a way my Evoque never did.

The issue (for me at least) is that there's a certain set of circumstances (narrow speed humps is one) that throw the car off completely. I've had cars with truly hard suspensions (M3, Boxster, to name a few) so I know what hard suspension feels like. This is something completely different.

On narrow speed humps (as opposed to the wide slightly raised ones that are common now in London) such as you get at a car park entrance for example, the rear end is thrown in the air. If you have anything in the boot it leaves the ground! Changing from normal to dynamic or back again makes absolutely no difference to this odd characteristic. It's almost as if the car find energy from somewhere. Even low speeds result in a significant thump. I am now crawling over these types of speed hump at literally 2mph.

The even odder situation is a road that looks to the naked eye like it might be flat, but is in fact softly undulating. The two roads approaching my house are like this. I have never noticed it before in any car (RRS, XKR, Evoque) since living here .. but in the FP taken at 10-30mph it's like riding a bucking bronco. Doesn't feel hard, but you are really thrown around. It's quite bizarre. It really does feel like it could be a programming thing, and the car is getting it's knickers in a twist. Shall certainly been discussing with the dealer when mine's in next week for it's list of bits and pieces.

Like I've said before if the end result is that nothing can be done then I shall live with this as a 'characteristic' but it has made me significantly change my driving style in the areas around where I live to compensate and mitigate a rather odd experience!

·
Registered
948 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
So with some of these responses I feel like screaming "nooooo ... you're not feeling what I'm feeling!!" .. which in itself is curious.

I don't find the suspension hard. In fact given the massive 22" wheels and the way this thing corners I think the suspension does a remarkable job. Even in Dynamic mode it smooths out potholes in a way my Evoque never did.

The issue (for me at least) is that there's a certain set of circumstances (narrow speed humps is one) that throw the car off completely. I've had cars with truly hard suspensions (M3, Boxster, to name a few) so I know what hard suspension feels like. This is something completely different.

On narrow speed humps (as opposed to the wide slightly raised ones that are common now in London) such as you get at a car park entrance for example, the rear end is thrown in the air. If you have anything in the boot it leaves the ground! Changing from normal to dynamic or back again makes absolutely no difference to this odd characteristic. It's almost as if the car find energy from somewhere. Even low speeds result in a significant thump. I am now crawling over these types of speed hump at literally 2mph.

The even odder situation is a road that looks to the naked eye like it might be flat, but is in fact softly undulating. The two roads approaching my house are like this. I have never noticed it before in any car (RRS, XKR, Evoque) since living here .. but in the FP taken at 10-30mph it's like riding a bucking bronco. Doesn't feel hard, but you are really thrown around. It's quite bizarre. It really does feel like it could be a programming thing, and the car is getting it's knickers in a twist. Shall certainly been discussing with the dealer when mine's in next week for it's list of bits and pieces.

Like I've said before if the end result is that nothing can be done then I shall live with this as a 'characteristic' but it has made me significantly change my driving style in the areas around where I live to compensate and mitigate a rather odd experience!
At the cinema in our town the road leading to its carpark has a series of these narrow speed bumps, my RRSport on 21" felt exactly the same as my F Pace on 22", in my opinion air suspension is crap at dealing with such things at slow speeds, this was one area were the Evoque was far better than either the RRS or FP but at everything else the FP is king IMO.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
salva72 said:
I'm about to order an F pace, so in the end if you have 22" wheels should we go for adaptative suspension or just switch to normal mode suspension on the dashboard ?
Hi Salva .. I think you are confusing Adaptive Dynamics, and Configurable Dynamics. In any case the AD pack for the 2.0d includes Configurable Dynamics (in the UK at least).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts