Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
The parking aid is only a rear view camera with guide lines for reverse parking. The surround cameras ere a camera on the sides along with front and back, I do not know if the rear camera incorporates then rear parking aid.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doppleganger said:
The parking aid is only a rear view camera with guide lines for reverse parking. The surround cameras ere a camera on the sides along with front and back, I do not know if the rear camera incorporates then rear parking aid.
I am not sure that's correct. The 3.0 s car already comes with front and rear camera and these are two additional options. Both from what I read seem very similar as the are both surround and 360. Just wondered if anyone had actually got either or both or even the parking aid pack to advise. It's not very clear on the Jag website and the dealer basically didn't know either.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
As far as I understand the parking assist is one of those 'parks' for you systems while the cameras are merely cameras.

360 Parking aid is a halfway house that gives you a plan location of surrounding objects - not sure if it has additional sensors to do this or is merely a display using existing ones but you cant have parking assist without it so I guess it does.... It also seems to show that it will find spaces for you.... perhaps it can get your morning coffee too!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have a look at the picture. Park assist I get. Finds a space and does the steering for you. Not too bothered by that. The other two options surround camera system and 360 parking aid sound very similar. Even with all the videos and info on Jag website it's not clear to me what the difference is.

any info welcome

Attachments

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have gone for the cameras as I like to see where my expensive alloys are in relation to kerbs etc. 360 parking aid creates a plan that lights up showing near objects - I've just checked that it does apparently have more sensors.... Its a bit like the graphics when parking at front and rear, but all the way round. For £800 I'll use my mirrors and cameras.... Have been able to spot spaces in car parks up 'till now without a beep assist!

·
Registered
12 Posts
If these options are the same as in the US, the Surround Camera System includes a front camera in the lower grill (in addition to the cameras behind the inside rear view mirror), side cameras on the bottom of each of the outside rear view mirrors, and uses the existing rear camera above the rear license plate. The Surround Camera System can "stitch" these four cameras together to give you a birds-eye view of the area around your FP.

The 360 Parking Aid gives you extra proximity sensors to help detect obstacles around your FP. It displays on your touch screen in the form of gray or colored blocks and audible warning tones. The front, side, and outer rear sensors monitor a fixed distance and the inner rear sensors monitor a greater distance. When active and the system detects a "threat", it changes the gray blocks to colored blocks, and sounds a warning tone. As you approach the "threat", the tone increases in speed until it becomes a solid tone when you're within 12 inches (300 mm).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RSi said:
If these options are the same as in the US, the Surround Camera System includes a front camera in the lower grill (in addition to the cameras behind the inside rear view mirror), side cameras on the bottom of each of the outside rear view mirrors, and uses the existing rear camera above the rear license plate. The Surround Camera System can "stitch" these four cameras together to give you a birds-eye view of the area around your FP.

The 360 Parking Aid gives you extra proximity sensors to help detect obstacles around your FP. It displays on your touch screen in the form of gray or colored blocks and audible warning tones. The front, side, and outer rear sensors monitor a fixed distance and the inner rear sensors monitor a greater distance. When active and the system detects a "threat", it changes the gray blocks to colored blocks, and sounds a warning tone. As you approach the "threat", the tone increases in speed until it becomes a solid tone when you're within 12 inches (300 mm).

Hope this helps.
Thanks for detailed info which is what I was looking for. My main concern is not to kerb the 22" alloys. Making parking a little easier. Do you think having both is best for this or one particular one. Don't mind paying extra of it saves me kerbing an alloy or two.

This forum is so much better than speaking with jaguar dealer as they have not got a clue.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Go for the cameras if, like me, you're worried about the 22" . The sensitivity on the 360 sensors won't be good enough IMHO. I've used the surround cameras (and mirrors) in my RRS for years and never kerbed an alloy since....

The FPace cameras seem better so I would save your money on the other two & get the cup holder covers!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks for detailed info which is what I was looking for. My main concern is not to kerb the 22" alloys. Making parking a little easier. Do you think having both is best for this or one particular one. Don't mind paying extra of it saves me kerbing an alloy or two.
Why not just go with the rear camera and practice some parking manoeuvres? Then spend a third of the money saved on some Alloy Wheel and tyre cover! I've read in another post at least one owner having trusted the parking aid and found it very good at kerbing his alloy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AndyS said:
Why not just go with the rear camera and practice some parking manoeuvres? Then spend a third of the money saved on some Alloy Wheel and tyre cover! I've read in another post at least one owner having trusted the parking aid and found it very good at kerbing his alloy!
This is where people are getting confused. It's the park assist which does the steering and finds a parking space for you which I don't want or care about. It's the other two which are more important. Comes with rear camera as standard. These are two additional options and think the surround camera system is the one that will help not to kerb the alloys.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
The only way you will see the kerb, parking bay lines etc is to either have the cameras or open the window, use dipped mirrors (rear wheels only). The other two do not help save your alloys.

Bearing in mind the average age of owners/potential owners seems to be around 50, if they cant parallel park by now, get 18" wheels, not a an android with a crescending beep..

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My dealer said it was money wasted, and they don't say that often! Rear camera is standard on S, and then just take care. The odd keening is a £60 repair against £100/1000's for this kit upgrade!

·
Registered
458 Posts
F-Pace S said:
My dealer said it was money wasted, and they don't say that often! Rear camera is standard on S, and then just take care. The odd keening is a £60 repair against £100/1000's for this kit upgrade!
Then you're dealer is a knob!
He is supposed to be representing the brand and encouraging the customer to make an informed personal decision. What else is he giving his opinion on as opposed to proper guidance?
The other issue that he failed to address in this assessment is that what if it not a kerb that you can't see but a low wall that takes out your side or valance - not a £60 repair - what about damage to the wall or another vehicle.

My advice is go to another dealer and try to drive a car with it on and make up your own mind based on your assesment of the facts as you see them.

As an aside I have both on my car and use the cameras regularly - they are fabulous particularly on a large car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
kasfranks99 said:
AndyS said:
This is where people are getting confused. It's the park assist which does the steering and finds a parking space for you which I don't want or care about. It's the other two which are more important. Comes with rear camera as standard. These are two additional options and think the surround camera system is the one that will help not to kerb the alloys.
You're right about Park Assist, it will only help you find and park your FP, not help preserve your 22" wheels. The options to choose to avoid curbing your alloys would be the Surround Camera System and the dipping outside rear view mirrors.

The 360 Parking Aid could help you avoid dinging the front, rear and sides of your FP body by graphically and audibly showing you how far you are from an obstacle. If you want to save some money on options, you could do the same by using the Surround Camera System.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have looked at the options, and personally want a car that i drive myself.
The parking aid when i tested it was not all that good, it went back and forth so many times, i thought it was trying to roll the car park flat!
The cameras can only be viewed one at a time, information form my dealer, unless you have the electronic dash, so you would have to swap views.

The 360 parking aid is £800 for three more sensors down each side of the car. Seems a lot of money to me, and if you are in a car park, likely they would all be beeping at once, so unless you look at the screen you would not know if it was the ones on the front, rear or side.

For me front and back are enough, with two huge mirrors on each side, look use them instead.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
bigfoot said:
I'm totally in accordance with you on that, I want to engage with driving the car myself, without relying totally on what all the gizmos are trying to tell me. The Speed Limit Recognition system is another feature where I've found the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

I find all the additional sensors and options actually seem to get in the way of developing a 'sixth sense' with your car, I much prefer getting used to how the car behaves and where the four corners are without the distraction of all the beeps and dashboard warnings you get. I find they're often more of a distraction when I'm maneuvering in a tight spot. Better to get used to the dimensions of the car and use your own judgement, nine times out of ten. That said, I do use the rear-view camera when reverse parking in the garage and when the rear sensors go to a solid tone there is always more than a foot of available space left before there's a chance of hitting anything. So far, I've found the front sensors can be a bit confusing, I never know how much space is left with them, so I tend to disregard them and use my own judgement. It hasn't let me down . . yet!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
bigfoot said:
The parking aid when i tested it was not all that good, it went back and forth so many times, i thought it was trying to roll the car park flat!
The cameras can only be viewed one at a time, information form my dealer, unless you have the electronic dash, so you would have to swap views.
I would be surprised at that the JLR camera systems I have used allow you to enlarge two images at a time, or all 5 albeit small on a 10" screen..

·
Registered
473 Posts
catwoman said:
bigfoot said:
I'm totally in accordance with you on that, I want to engage with driving the car myself, without relying totally on what all the gizmos are trying to tell me. The Speed Limit Recognition system is another feature where I've found the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

I find all the additional sensors and options actually seem to get in the way of developing a 'sixth sense' with your car, I much prefer getting used to how the car behaves and where the four corners are without the distraction of all the beeps and dashboard warnings you get. I find they're often more of a distraction when I'm maneuvering in a tight spot. Better to get used to the dimensions of the car and use your own judgement, nine times out of ten. That said, I do use the rear-view camera when reverse parking in the garage and when the rear sensors go to a solid tone there is always more than a foot of available space left before there's a chance of hitting anything. So far, I've found the front sensors can be a bit confusing, I never know how much space is left with them, so I tend to disregard them and use my own judgement. It hasn't let me down . . yet!
+1

And an additional thought, this is a feeling and short of doing a survey I can't verify it, but I sense the more options like this you add the bigger the chance of problems with ICTP.... It seems people going with TV! Blind spot, 360 cameras etc have had more ITCP issues, could be wrong and I am sure the forum will correct me :lol: :D :oops: :shock:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The Gman said:
And an additional thought, this is a feeling and short of doing a survey I can't verify it, but I sense the more options like this you add the bigger the chance of problems with ICTP.... It seems people going with TV! Blind spot, 360 cameras etc have had more ITCP issues, could be wrong and I am sure the forum will correct me :lol: :D :oops: :shock:
I think this might be quite close to the actuality of the ICTP issues. I really don't think Jaguar have invested enough development time for this concept, which is fairly typical for them on most things from my experience. So given the corner cutting going on, maybe surround cameras are a good idea? ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.