Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Funny, I was going to post on this today - my dealer has just quoted £399.

Has anyone any idea of how low they might go - I placed my deposit for a 2.od Portfolio in Feb, due for delivery in October and have a sense i have been mucked around / mislead on when my order was placed / build date.

Given Supaguard is a lot of commission - any other prices people have agreed with dealer to pay ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The issue on Supaguard or any other treatment that dealers offer is this. The only way to obtain a quality finish is to have a professional detailer prepare the surface first. If you search or speak to anyone in this business they will tell yu the prep is the most important thing to do. The dealers get good commission from these treatments and the likelihood is that it could well be someone that washes the cars putting on the Supaguard. I have had 3 cars in this, 2 were poor and one has been good. So, you can pay £300 odd at the dealer, having cut down the price or spend anything from £500-£900 to get a professional job. I know what I'm choosing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Most things in life you get what you pay for with a few bargains here and there.

I think it's a professional job, days work plus product you must be looking at a few hundred to get a good job.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I've been quoted £599 for ceramic glass coat. Not at my jaguar dealer as they don't do it.
It's an all day job so you'd expect the price to be around £400 just given the time it should take if done properly

·
Registered
441 Posts
I sought the opinion recently of a professional automotive paint shop manager regarding these paintwork treatments that are being offered by dealers these days and the reply was
"Do not waste your money as most of them do not last and are no better than polishing the original finish on the car with a quality product such as Autoglym." More important is that the bodyshops hate dealing with accident repairs to a car treated with these wonder products as most of them contain silicon and unless eradicated totally new paint does not like it and causes all sorts of problems.
Finally,the only reason dealers pressurise customers into having paint,leather and carpet treatments is the huge commission offered to them on sales and then dealers car cleaners do not apply them properly.
I took the information on board and will be using Autoglym resin polish as I have done for the last 25 years.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hydrajaws said:
I sought the opinion recently of a professional automotive paint shop manager regarding these paintwork treatments that are being offered by dealers these days and the reply was
"Do not waste your money as most of them do not last and are no better than polishing the original finish on the car with a quality product such as Autoglym." More important is that the bodyshops hate dealing with accident repairs to a car treated with these wonder products as most of them contain silicon and unless eradicated totally new paint does not like it and causes all sorts of problems.
Finally,the only reason dealers pressurise customers into having paint,leather and carpet treatments is the huge commission offered to them on sales and then dealers car cleaners do not apply them properly.
I took the information on board and will be using Autoglym resin polish as I have done for the last 25 years.
+1

For me, after having owned any of my new vehicles for a few weeks to let the paint harden, it's a day spent on my drive with a soft clay bar, very gentle Blackfire Polish to clean the surface, Poorboys sealant and then a wax based finish. Topped up after six months and then repeated in full every year. Cars look stunning, really pops in the evening light and under streetlight with people commenting on the car. Oh, and I enjoy doing it. So it ticks all of the boxes for me as it's the perfect antidote to my day job which demands lots of mental energy and interpersonal relations - none of that when dealing with my car!

Always choose the right weather. Never hot sunshine.

Regards.

Arianne

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been to 2 jag dealers in the last few weeks and looking at the condition of the paintwork, on their demonstrators,I wouldn't let them anywhere near my car. I've seen hologramming and swirls especially on dark colours. I agree with Arianne if you know what you are doing and have a good polisher, otherwise you will easily find a local detailer that will do a new car correction and protection for less than what the dealers are charging for supaguard

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
catwoman said:
JLRnumber5 said:
At the dealers now finalising paperwork
That sounds like a euphemism for "paying" if ever I heard one! :lol:
So in the end I capitulated! Went for the Autoglym Lifeshine that they offered for £290 after lots of saying "no"

I had a full and frank conversation with them about "dealer applied" treatments and they assured me that it's not applied by the lad that washes the cars after services but Autoglym trained technicians (probably the same lad that's watched a YouTube video :lol: ) ... but I told them if the job's not done right I won't be paying for it. We shall see .. anyone familiar with Lifeshine?

The big news was that after refusing the Jag finance at 6.9% they dropped it to 4.9% which is almost as close as the deal my bank has offered me .. so I will probably go with the JLR finance for convenience.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi JLR, I had an new Audi A5 convertible when they first came out way back in 2009 which had been treated in Auto gleam life shine .... Still got the fancy bag of stuff which they gave me at time. Anyway like most on here I agree that it depends on how well the treatment is done.
What I can tell you and promise is, that during the three years I owned that car I never had to polish it once. Car shampoo, rinse and chamois off ..... Stunning! Revolutionised my usual 2 hour cleaning routine I can tell you.So when the wife took delivery of A6 the following year I asked for it to done!
However this was supaguard... And the coating barely lasted 3 - 4 months, and on a white car... You can imagine the amount of extra cleaning required every time.
My only suggestion... Arrive at dealers to check that a qualified Autogleam tech is doing your car. If they have nothing to fear the they will not see a problem with it. And you can quote some off the bad experiances on here as reason needed for reassurance... ;).. Nice work on the finance deal btw.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Lifeshine no but Moonshine yes. You have been hoodwinked and pressurised by the dealer who will now get his fat commission!

·
Registered
26 Posts
With my F-Pace due to arrive at the dealership at the end of September, I have been having e-mail dialogue with them expressing my concern about the internal and external treatment they are offering. This purely because of the issues raised on this forum in a number of threads.

They included Supaguard within my order, effectively automatically, without any real discussion about the merits or otherwise, at an invoice cost of £568.

Despite my concerns being raised, they insisted that the coating/treatment was sound and that the process was carried out by professionals who had been used for many years.

On the basis of this, I asked them for details of the process for my review and consideration, including details of guarantees, etc.
In response, an email has arrived today, stating the following...........

" Regarding the internal and external finishing, we would recommend the Protech system which is our developed product for the exterior and interior protection. We have now moved onwards since Supagard which is what was originally offered. We will also get you a discount price of £479 for it as opposed to the £568 currently quoted."

Would welcome the views of other forum members in regard to this latest development.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Read my earlier post with the opinion of a professional body shop person regarding these treatments which modern paints do not require.
I cannot believe that a dealer would add this treatment as part of the ordering process without consultation with the buyer.BMW Sytner tried this one on with my daughter recently and she refused to pay so they had no choice but to remove the inflated charge because they hadn't informed her that it was part of the ordering process. Trading standards I think would be interested in this sharp practice!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
MikeyT said:
With my F-Pace due to arrive at the dealership at the end of September, I have been having e-mail dialogue with them expressing my concern about the internal and external treatment they are offering. This purely because of the issues raised on this forum in a number of threads.

They included Supaguard within my order, effectively automatically, without any real discussion about the merits or otherwise, at an invoice cost of £568.

Despite my concerns being raised, they insisted that the coating/treatment was sound and that the process was carried out by professionals who had been used for many years.

On the basis of this, I asked them for details of the process for my review and consideration, including details of guarantees, etc.
In response, an email has arrived today, stating the following...........

" Regarding the internal and external finishing, we would recommend the Protech system which is our developed product for the exterior and interior protection. We have now moved onwards since Supagard which is what was originally offered. We will also get you a discount price of £479 for it as opposed to the £568 currently quoted."

Would welcome the views of other forum members in regard to this latest development.
My dealer ended up throwing in Autoglym Lifeshine free of charge, so that shows you just how much profit there is in these products!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.