Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until yesterday most of my first 2 weeks has been in town driving. Yesterday went to the coast , 60 mile trip each way. During the drive I noticed the stop/start option was Off (small indicator bottom left of drivers ICP screen). On pressing the button to activate it, I got message Stop/Start inactive due to fault. After parking and returning to the car 2 hours stop start was working again.

In my XF the car would go through a DPF filter cleaning process on a log run and the stop start would be inactive. The F-Pace has Ad-blu and I therefore thought the DPF was kept clean because of this additive. Am I right in assuming the same cleaning process still occurs when on a long run and that the only real problem was the message (it could have said DPF cleaning in process not Faulty - more re-assuring for the driver)?

BTW small side note - 60 miles at average speed of 40mph and 41mpg return journey slower average speed but same mpg - and a lot more traffic on mostly single carriage way A21. Not as good as the XF but I'm hopeful it will improve as the car only have 450 miles on it so far!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interestingly the hand book says there will be a message saying "Auto stop start is unavailable" but not under what conditions, as opposed to Auto Stop Start fault... I actually find stop/start annoying as I always forget to turn it off in a car park when manoeuvring and it gets annoying when engine keeps cutting out!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Does it cut the engine in a car park after you have used reverse gear? My Volvo XC60 is intelligent enough to override the auto stop/start for a few seconds after a reverse manoeuvre.

What is it like with the Jaguar?

Ariann

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Arianne said:
Does it cut the engine in a car park after you have used reverse gear? My Volvo XC60 is intelligent enough to override the auto stop/start for a few seconds after a reverse manoeuvre.

What is it like with the Jaguar?

Ariann
It cuts engine as soon as car is stationary, its not clever at all!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Waynem said:
Turn it off ...just before parking :roll: :ugeek: :lol:
that's where my memory failure kicks in... I forget! :cry: I don't think there's a service upgrade for my head! :lol:

·
Registered
184 Posts
The stop start is dreadful, I turn it off as soon as the engine starts.
In my old citroen C3 (God bless her) it worked brilliantly. If you were breaking the engine stopped just below 10 mph you might be thinking "what?" but it worked really well and was off for a useful amount of time.

In this car the engine stops only at standstill and then, often, within a millisecond you're off again and the engine has to re-start. I think there are two things wrong with this,
1) I don't think it can do the engine much good and
2) In my citroen, the engine had to be off for > 4 secs to save any fuel/emissions.

·
Registered
168 Posts
catalyst said:
The stop start is dreadful, I turn it off as soon as the engine starts.
In my old citroen C3 (God bless her) it worked brilliantly. If you were breaking the engine stopped just below 10 mph you might be thinking "what?" but it worked really well and was off for a useful amount of time.

In this car the engine stops only at standstill and then, often, within a millisecond you're off again and the engine has to re-start. I think there are two things wrong with this,
1) I don't think it can do the engine much good and
2) In my citroen, the engine had to be off for > 4 secs to save any fuel/emissions.
I've had a couple of test drives with this enabled and it's worked as I expected it would

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well compared to the XF I could control the stopping on the pedal as suggested above by Pos.k, but the F-Pace is more sensitive (or at least mine is) I've even had it cut out when not stationary, doing maybe 1/2 mph pulling up at junction (trying to not cut out as it happens!), it could just be my car is set more sensitive (if it can even be adjusted - who knows?). Anyway its function wasn't my concern its the message I got of "fault". I'll wait and see if it returns, in the XF many issues existed in its early days but it seemed to "heal" itself in time - yes sounds mad but its true, error messages in abundance that slowly went away and never showed up again!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
RaVolVoR said:
Well compared to the XF I could control the stopping on the pedal as suggested above by Pos.k, but the F-Pace is more sensitive (or at least mine is) I've even had it cut out when not stationary, doing maybe 1/2 mph pulling up at junction (trying to not cut out as it happens!), it could just be my car is set more sensitive (if it can even be adjusted - who knows?). Anyway its function wasn't my concern its the message I got of "fault". I'll wait and see if it returns, in the XF many issues existed in its early days but it seemed to "heal" itself in time - yes sounds mad but its true, error messages in abundance that slowly went away and never showed up again!
I had a first edition RRS SC back in 2006 (damn I miss that car) and one day it just decided it didn't want to move. So I called JLR and they sent a technician to get me on my way and he basically had to do a complete system reset (whilst giving me some story about the car having more computing power than the first space shuttle .. lol) to get the car started.

He then said to me "ok over the next few days all sorts of strange things will happen, but don't worry it will sort itself out" and he was right! It was like the car was possessed. Warning lights, doors not locking, mirrors not dipping, alarm going off. After 2 or 3 days it was completely fine.

Bizarre.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
. . He then said to me "ok over the next few days all sorts of strange things will happen, but don't worry it will sort itself out" and he was right!
Pie-in-the-sky, I know, but it would probably be a big help to all of us customers if someone 'in the know', by which I mean someone responsible at JLR, technicians, designers, or whatever, would come clean and tell us what problems we should likely expect to experience as 'normal operating conditions'. I would welcome that, rather than it putting me off as a buyer, being honest and 'up front' would give a lot more faith that someone does actually know how to deal with (solve?) these strange behaviours and glitches that people are reporting on this forum.

'Faith' is the keyword . . once the customer loses faith, it is very hard to win back again. Anyone from JLR reading this, please take note!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually JLR the real thing to do is not display any error messages UNLESS the system logs them - memory is cheap so use it!

My XF errors just scared the daylights out of me at times. For example one morning on starting the car I was presented with "Gearbox failure - do not drive the car" message (quite scary!!!) I turned it off, locked car and then unlocked and tried again - no problem. Of course there was no record of the message ever existing. so the best thing (and I will try to remind myself on the next F Pace error) is photograph or video it on your phone (only when its safe to do so of course - or get a passenger to do it for you!). With the gearbox issue I had hoped (and was luckily right) it was a software glitch but actually the car was in warranty so I wasn't bothered if it cost Jaguar a new gearbox - I'm not so sure Jaguar would like that approach but that's too bad!

What isn't so clever are the collection of little annoyances that are now appearing on this site, mirrors, squeaks, screen crashes etc surely these all show up in pre launch testing? If not why not? These are the things that cause people to reject cars, 50k for a car is a lot of money so these things suggest very poor testing, poor production and poor standards.

I like my F-Pace and I hope I continue to, but I'm nervous about buying one and owning it, I have a nagging feeling it could all go pear shaped very soon !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts