Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is now 3 1/2 years old and only has had one issue and that is the stop/start has been problematic almost since new. It's been back to the dealer 4 times, has has 2 software updates, 2 battery boosts and a new battery but the fault has happened again. I'm concerned that as the car is now out of warranty I'm going to have to pay heavily to get it repaired again when there is obviously an issue.
Does anyone else have any experience of this issue or is it just me?

·
Registered
129 Posts
And the issue is?

For me it's the first thing I turn off after starting the car up! Anyone I have spoken to be it another F-Pace owner, mechanic, Jag Assist all say it's generally not a good feature. If I know I'm going to be in very long standing traffic I just turn the car off anyway.

·
Registered
436 Posts
There is no starter motor - the alternator can also drive so that is used to start the engine quickly.

Like this one

·
Registered
564 Posts
As @Arniel says, what issue are you experiencing?

Stop Start rarely works on my F-Pace and usually only after a long run to charge the battery. I used to switch it off straight away but don't bother these days as it's a bit of a novelty if it works.

·
Registered
150 Posts
In our 2016 it seems to work for the best part - it will shut off when you pull up to a stop, but can randomly start again after 30 seconds or so.
I turn it off for rush hour as i find it often wants to stop when you need to go again - our is a manual so that could make a difference ( more defined stop?)

·
Registered
101 Posts
The stop/start system will only work when it can. In winter if electrical draw in high it wont turn off. Such as if you have heated front and rear screen on, heated seats on, demister blower, etc. In the summer if you have air conditioning on and the temperature difference is too great then it will want to keep the air con compressor on. I also found out only last week that if the air con has not been serviced and the pressure in the system is too low the compressor pump remains on and the stop/start does not work. Air con serviced and stop/start fully functional again. The new R1234yf gases seem to degrade/leak by 10%-15% a year.
If you have had it in the dealer then they should have updated the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) software, but do ask/check. New battery would mean the BMS being reset but not necessarily updated! Good luck hope if gets sorted to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
762 Posts
mik said:
There is no starter motor - the alternator can also drive so that is used to start the engine quickly.

Like this one
I'm pretty sure both the F Paces I had were fitted with conventional starter motors and alternators, conventional replacements are listed up to 2020. However the 400e hybrid may well have a stop/start alternator

·
Registered
298 Posts
For me the stop start was touch and go due to the low miles I was doing during lockdown. The battery was not getting enough to fully charge it. I bought a trickle charger and after plugging it in over night it started working again.
I am still doing little miles so have to use the trickle every month or so.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Starting an engine means it is at its peak strain, worst is when engine is cold.
First thing on my list is to disable start stop after starting any car which has this feature like other members stated.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have ordered a D200 HSE . Can I just press a button to turn off the stop/start like I currently can on my XF?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have ordered a D200 HSE . Can I just press a button to turn off the stop/start like I currently can on my XF?
You have to do it every trip which is pain

·
Registered
45 Posts
My car is now 3 1/2 years old and only has had one issue and that is the stop/start has been problematic almost since new. It's been back to the dealer 4 times, has has 2 software updates, 2 battery boosts and a new battery but the fault has happened again. I'm concerned that as the car is now out of warranty I'm going to have to pay heavily to get it repaired again when there is obviously an issue.
Does anyone else have any experience of this issue or is it just me?
I purchased a demo model from the Dealer and the first thing I asked him to do was remove the feature its a nightmare and very inconsistent on these models. If I am in standing traffic I use the engine off on button/starter!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts