Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was due collection last Saturday but it had failed its PDI due to a fault with the front camera. As arranged I went back today to collect it as I'm due to go away for the weekend. Unfortunately it was still in the workshop with most of its innards removed and a Jaguar Tech remotely logged into it, as not surprisingly it is a software fault.

So I have been loaned a car and this is what I have to put up with till mine has been repaired :D

Hopefully the image shows up, otherwise this is the URL

http://i.imgur.com/stYbMt8.jpg

Just driving the 26 miles home I used a lot of petrol, it is easy to go quite fast!

Jim

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
A bitter sweet situation there

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew before I arrived that my car may or may not have been ready and couldn't decide whether I wanted it to be or not :^))

This thing positively encourages you to make it purr and roar, and then it drinks like a fish.

I had a nice chap in a white car with a blue light on top follow me along the M54 for a while which spoilt my fun a bit :^((

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Jim said:
I knew before I arrived that my car may or may not have been ready and couldn't decide whether I wanted it to be or not :^))

This thing positively encourages you to make it purr and roar, and then it drinks like a fish.

I had a nice chap in a white car with a blue light on top follow me along the M54 for a while which spoilt my fun a bit :^((
I sort of get what your saying having the petrol F Pace. I think an F Type will be on cards in next year or so.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Jim said:

The only downside is if you wanted a Ftype you would have one but you wanted an Fpace for a reason.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having been out for a drive this evening I think I made the right choice with the F-Pace. The F-Type S is nice and fun and 20 years ago I would have given my right nxx to have one. My wife can't even get in it (some might think this is a positive :^)), the seats are probably good for track days but siting for hours in queues probably not so good, the sun visors are almost pointless, but..... the sound is magnificent :^))

I will enjoy the loan but am looking forward to finally getting the F-Pace.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was loaned an F-Type for a week whilst waiting for my car to arrive..... Given that was on my want to have list (when time right to swap Mrs S's SLK then this was a great extended test drive opportunity..... Spent first 3 days finding tree lined roads or tunnels :) Great fun...then tried to work out if I could actually live with one, and how do I drive 'quietly' .... Having worked it out then still remains on my list.... Even got 37 mpg out of it on a run up from Sheffield to Durham.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after one day with the F-Type my F-Pace was unexpectedly ready for collection this afternoon so I drove to the garage down windy roads in the F-type - perfect, collected the F-Pace drove back on the motorway - perfect, horses for courses I guess.

2.0 Diesel Portfolio Auto AWD - Ultimate Black - Light Oyster seats and head lining
19" fat boy wheels
14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack + Electrically adjustable steering wheel
360 Degree parking aid
ICTP 380W
LED headlights

34 miles on the clock including the 9 miles at time of collection.

Absolute lovely drive home and all worked fine until I tried reversing out of my drive (a nice S shape) a short while later and if I had followed the guides in the reversing camera I would have driven into a wall. Doing the same manoeuvre earlier in the F-Type the guides were perfect. Went into the bank car park and again if I had not been watching in the mirrors would have reversed into a parked car! The reversing view and guides are way off, if I move the steering wheel just a touch either left or right of centre you would think I was going from lock to lock. I will be calling the garage in the morning warning them that they can expect a visit to get it sorted.

When I collected the car after the problem with its failing PDI they did mention that Jaguar had told them to fit the replacement parts (to do with the front camera and sensors) but not to calibrate or adjust the system at all, the garage have queried this but are waiting for a response. The forward sensors are also off in that they only start alarming when the car is inches away from an obstacle. Its going to be mirrors and picking places where it is easy to get in and out of for me until it is sorted.

The F-Type was nice, but it is not an every day car, more like 'something for the weekend, Sir'.

Jim

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well having owned the car for 11 days, and had it in my possession for 3.5 my car is back in the dealers and I now have an XJ on loan for the next day or so.

I used my FP over the weekend to visit my Father and dropped it back at the dealers first thing this morning, demonstrated the problem with the reversing aid, compared it with a couple of the FP demonstrators, and the mechanics/technicians agreed it needed calibrating, see post above ref. instructions from Jaguar, otherwise it could never work correctly. An hour or so later my embarrassed sales guy came across and explained that calibrating the sensors, etc. had caused the same modules that originally caused the PDI failure had all failed again! The dealers have ordered the replacement parts and once fitted will seek advice again from Jaguar. Thankfully they appear to be on my side in that I should have all the sensors not only working but also they should be calibrated so that the information they provide is not misleading.

Before it broke again, the yellow lines on the screen only went up the screen about a quarter of the way instead of the 2/3 to 3/4 on the working systems and it is only necessary to move the wheel about a quarter of a turn off centre for the lines to indicate the full lock position as indicated on the working systems (we compared mine with a couple of other FPs that were fitted with ICTP).

I was left with the impression that Jaguar had possibly instructed the dealer not to calibrate the system because they suspected a repeat failure might occur and hopefully the customer would be fobbed off.

Hopefully I will get a fully working system and car back in a day or so.

Apart from this problem everything else appears to be working fine, so far. :D

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The saga continues, just had a call from my dealer and they fitted the replacement parts under Jaguar's 'remote' supervision and the guide lines and obstruction warnings were again all over the place. Tried calibrating the system and the parts all failed, again, again.

The car is now in the hands of Jaguar Engineering, not sure if the mountain is coming to ....... or vice versa, and it will be at least another couple of days.

I have been promised the loan of an F-Pace for the weekend as I need to hump a load of my daughter's kit up to her house and there is no chance of getting it all in the boot of the on loan XJ.

Must admit my patience is beginning to wear a bit thin and if some progress is not made soon I may consider rejecting the car and asking for a replacement, that works. As I think it is reasonable that I should have the car more often than the dealer :(

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Jim said:
The saga continues, just had a call from my dealer and they fitted the replacement parts under Jaguar's 'remote' supervision and the guide lines and obstruction warnings were again all over the place. Tried calibrating the system and the parts all failed, again, again.

The car is now in the hands of Jaguar Engineering, not sure if the mountain is coming to ....... or vice versa, and it will be at least another couple of days.

I have been promised the loan of an F-Pace for the weekend as I need to hump a load of my daughter's kit up to her house and there is no chance of getting it all in the boot of the on loan XJ.

Must admit my patience is beginning to wear a bit thin and if some progress is not made soon I may consider rejecting the car and asking for a replacement, that works. As I think it is reasonable that I should have the car more often than the dealer :(
Bummer sorry to hear that. I would put the 'rejection' on the table now just so everyone is clear where you stand and since you are within first 30 days you have even more protection on your side.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today I sent the email below to my dealers, mainly to draw a line in the ground.

To be clear the dealers (Hatfields in Shrewsbury) have given me their support throughout and I phoned them prior to sending the email to make clear that my issue was not with the service they have provided since my car should have been handed over on the 1st Oct, but solely down to the issues with the car. There has been no progress by Jaguar that I'm aware of today, it is still faulty with the same set of faults awaiting Jaguar Engineering action.

Xxxx,

This email is to notify you that if my car (Jaguar F-Pace registration number XX66YYY) has not been provided in a satisfactory serviceable and functioning condition by the 26th October 2016 I shall be rejecting it under the Right to Reject provisions of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

I base this on:

Satisfactory quality - Goods shouldn't be faulty or damaged when you receive them.

My car has been faulty since it was first provided and as confirmed by yourself even failed its Pre-Delivery Inspection.

As described - The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase.

My car does not perform to the same standard as the vehicles I test drove. One example is that the reversing guidance in the car delivered is inaccurate and misleading whereas other Jaguar cars I have driven, as either test drive or as loan cars while my car has been with yourselves for repair (including other Jaguar F-Pace, a Jaguar XJ and a Jaguar F-Type), have performed as a driving aid accurately and without providing misleading information.

This email should not be considered a threat, it is merely an indication of my intent as the vehicle provided by Hatfield Jaguar as it currently stands is not fit for purpose. I believe 2 weeks is more than sufficient time for all issues to be rectified and the car returned to me in a fully serviceable and functioning condition.

I am very happy with the F-Pace as a car type and the brief time I had access to mine I really enjoyed the experience, that was only marred by the defects with my specific car. I would be quite happy for Jaguar to provide me with a fully working replacement to the same specification.

Regards ......

Hopefully this may help the dealer to get Jaguar to respond and provide me with a properly working vehicle.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I don't know whether my email had an affect or if it was just coincidence.

Shortly after I sent my email my dealers contacted Jaguar at Director level and explained that I probably had a valid case to reject the car as it hadn't worked since delivery (well, actually since before as it failed its PDI), had faults continuously since and was still with them faulty, even after many of the various control modules and sensors had been replaced a number of times each.

Shortly after the call they were contacted by Jaguar Engineering and they downloaded a new patch totally under their (Jaguar Engineering) control and calibrated the car with the assistance of the local technicians/mechanics. I received a call at 18:30 yesterday (shortly after they had finished the work and road testing) to tell me that my car had been sorted by Jaguar and that the dealers would get it back to me today. During the call the dealer did mention that the patch that was loaded was not on general release and was only being loaded currently by Jaguar under controlled conditions, could this be the fabled 'Patch 2'.

Car arrived about an hour ago and the reversing guidance is now working correctly, the dipping near side mirror looks to dip and return to its original position (I normally have this turned off but thought I would see if this now also worked, it did each time over several attempts) and apart from some of my settings had reverted back to the default levels everything now looks to be working, touching wood (the type that comes from trees before anyone makes any comments) as I'm typing ;)

So I will be one very happy customer if this is the end of my saga :D

Is there any way to check the ICTP software levels and patch state? If so I will check mine and put it on here so others can see if it is the same or newer than their versions.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Wow, that will be a massive result for all the ITCP issues for everyone....keep testing everything and feed back please Jim

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fingers crossed Jim. I fear I may have a similar fate to yours. Was due to take delivery of mine, but have just had a call to advise of some errors thrown up during PDI. Awaiting a further call by the end of the day.....

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Growler, here's hoping just a minor glitch in delivery.

I note you have chosen the 10 Way Memory Pack and the Lumber adjustment, what is the difference between this and the 14 Way Memory Pack that includes the lumbar adjustment?

I have the 14 way memory pack and this version includes the three people memory buttons on both the driver and passenger doors.

Jim

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Jim - as you say, fingers crossed!

With the 10 way +lumbar, you don't get the extending seat squab. or side bolster adjustment.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hmmm well mine is due to be picked up tomorrow, no call yet to say failed PDI....

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Jim said:
Well I don't know whether my email had an affect or if it was just coincidence.

Shortly after I sent my email my dealers contacted Jaguar at Director level and explained that I probably had a valid case to reject the car as it hadn't worked since delivery (well, actually since before as it failed its PDI), had faults continuously since and was still with them faulty, even after many of the various control modules and sensors had been replaced a number of times each.

Shortly after the call they were contacted by Jaguar Engineering and they downloaded a new patch totally under their (Jaguar Engineering) control and calibrated the car with the assistance of the local technicians/mechanics. I received a call at 18:30 yesterday (shortly after they had finished the work and road testing) to tell me that my car had been sorted by Jaguar and that the dealers would get it back to me today. During the call the dealer did mention that the patch that was loaded was not on general release and was only being loaded currently by Jaguar under controlled conditions, could this be the fabled 'Patch 2'.

Car arrived about an hour ago and the reversing guidance is now working correctly, the dipping near side mirror looks to dip and return to its original position (I normally have this turned off but thought I would see if this now also worked, it did each time over several attempts) and apart from some of my settings had reverted back to the default levels everything now looks to be working, touching wood (the type that comes from trees before anyone makes any comments) as I'm typing ;)

So I will be one very happy customer if this is the end of my saga :D

Is there any way to check the ICTP software levels and patch state? If so I will check mine and put it on here so others can see if it is the same or newer than their versions.
I have checked everywhere on the ITCP screen and the dash information screen and i can not see it for looking, i am sure it must be hidden somewhere.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Jim said:
Growler, here's hoping just a minor glitch in delivery.

I note you have chosen the 10 Way Memory Pack and the Lumber adjustment, what is the difference between this and the 14 Way Memory Pack that includes the lumbar adjustment?

I have the 14 way memory pack and this version includes the three people memory buttons on both the driver and passenger doors.

Jim
Hi Jim

I have the 14 way with memory pack but I only have the memory buttons on the drivers door. I was expecting both but was told it's driver only. Can you tell me what you specified with your order? What options and what did it cost? Thanks very much.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts