Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone find the brake pedal a bit spongy?

I seem to get the impression mine needs bleeding as it feels like 'air' for the first 15% of the pedal travel....

Or is it a 'characteristic'? :shock:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
Yes it's definitely more 'spongy' than my RRE but actually it stops very well. You just need to get used to the feel.
In the words of Scully, it's good to know we are not alone... I did mean to say that it stops ok, but it is a little disconcerting...

I thought after the ceramic coating sponges were consigned to history! :D

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I needed to use the brakes pretty heavily when someone decided to pull in front of me recently and they are damn effective when pressed hard. I could feel the car take over the braking (not sure if this was due to the force I was applying or the camera system) and we came to stop on a sixpence.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have not noticed the spongy, brakes myself, in fact I had a pretty hard stop a few weeks back that proves they work very effectively, so much so, I had time to watch the person behind, not notice, then notice I was braking, then shit himself whilst I braced for impact, which luckily was close but no contact

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I think they have a nice gently progressive feel. So I know what you mean the first bit of depress gives a gentle start but stops easily and comfortably in slow traffic or shaves speed gently at higher speeds.

The other day I had a moment and actually had the Beeping Klaxon type alarm kick in of AEB - My fault and saw quite late jumped on brakes and the car helped me and we stopped very quickly.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
^ yes that's a good point you make. Stopping smoothly in the Evoque took a little practice and concentration. The FP are much more progressive, and at first appears to be quite a bit of travel with no effect ... but I'm used to it now and prefer it.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's the 'air' like noise that concerns me...

In the days of jam jars, plastic pipe & assistant it is akin to the 'squishy' noise as you start to bleed....

They work ok, but not something I've noticed in my other cars recently...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts