Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Its time for a bit of advice... I'm about to spec my F-Pace and have a few questions;

The BIG one is 3.0d or petrol? I'm in an Audi S7 at the moment and the torque figure is bigger in this Than the petrol FP, but Only by around 50 Nm. Will I miss the extra torques if I stick with petrol or is the diesel too good to pass up?

Next one is the sound system. Has anyone Demo'd the two meridian systems side by side? Are the extra 450watts worth the price tag/going to do me any favours on residuals?

Last one (for now) LED headlights... worth it?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As has been said on here many times spec is a personal choice.
I went for 3ltr diesel for power and economy, 825 meridian because I had it in my Evoque and liked it, and Xenon because I didn't think LED was worth the money.
I am pleased with my choices. :cool:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Welcome Marky,
I have xenons on mine, and the demo I have had for a week has LED's, in answer to your question is a big solid no to LED extra money

Meridian is interesting....my 380w system is ace, the 380w in the demo is poor, so go figure, everything rattles in the demo, but same system.

3.0d for me, it is very quick and mpg is around mid thirties on average, which for my mileage works for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leaning towards that oil burner, the more I think/read about it and you've both reaffirmed that.
Thanks for the other info too - I've always thought 825 watts a little excessive given my 40 watts per channel home audio set up kicks a$$ but guess big numbers sell...
Happy motoring :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hi Kungfumarky,

I went 3.0d over the petrol on the simple fact that most of the time I will be potting about town or up/down motor ways. So MPG / Tax / Insurance costs saving over the petrol ... and you still have some damm serious poke when you want to throw it around on some exciting roads.

As for LED's ... I didn't get them, however reading about them more, maybe I should have forked out the extra. Basically you don't need them, the car is road legal ... but if you have the extra cash then why not.

Regarding the audio system, sorry I can't help you .... not a big thing for me so not that bothered.

One item I consider a must is a space saver spare wheel, don't trust the gunk! Everything else really is personal choices, either looks, costs, or other. Good luck with deciding ... I spent months respec'ing ever day! ;)

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Hi Marky

You may have read on another post that I'm having my car replaced with another so found myself in the interesting position of being able to reflect on my spec and make changes if necessary.

So after 3 months and 2700 miles I've concluded the 3.0d was the right choice. It's my first diesel and I've had 3 JLR supercharged cars before (V8s) so I did consider the V6 SC. Ok so the 3.0d lacks the visceral energy of the SC but in real terms it's just as rapid. For me it really suits the car.

I also stuck with the 825W Meridian. It's about more than just power. The upgraded unit has additional surround processing. It has a wider sound stage and better separation of instruments so reveals more detail. That's providing your feeding it with high res material and not streaming MP3 from your phone via Bluetooth. The easiest thing to do is listen to both and do what your ears tell you.

Lastly the LEDs. Well I didn't have them before cos I had great bi xenons in my previous JLRs. The F Pace ones are pretty average though. So I've paid for the upgrade this time. It's a pricey upgrade though so it was borderline for me. I took into account resale too. I think in 5 years time they will be a lot more commonplace.

Hope some of that helped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really useful, thank you. The headlights for the residual makes sense - as you say, most cars are heading that way. I'll have to listen to both Meridians, as my input source will be Tidal and i'm up for spending on it if the difference is there.
Spare wheel a must!
Thanks all. I will see if I can drive the Petrol and the Diesel back-to-back, but for the sort of driving I do the diesel is probably going to get it - on that note, has anyone remapped theirs?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Marky

Welcome to the madhouse.

If you want opinions you came to the right place!!

Re the engine for me its whether you want the sound or the MPG you take the petrol or diesel respectively. There isn't a wrong choice.

Re the sound system and lights - I think your decision comes down to factors like how loaded are you? how long are you likely to keep the car? is it your main/only car or do you have lots of motors?
I honestly believe both the 380W and 825W upgrades are good but the base system not so and I have listened to all 3 in loaners and demos. Likewise the lights the LEDS are more modern will increase resale and have useful things like they light up at the side when cornering etc.

For me I went with Xenons and 380W - I didn't see the £2K premium for them both, but there are advantages and only your eyes and ears will convince your wallet.

For me 14Way memory seats would come well before either of these choices - each to their own

Enjoy the decision making.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Well if you've made the decision of Tidal over Spotify then you have audiophile tendancies so I think you will hear and appreciate the difference of the additional processing on the 825W. To blackjagmike's point though these are expensive upgrades, and I am not really sure they are good value as such. Having said that, if you can afford it then go for it. I only did so because I intend to keep the car 3 years or more. Well the next one, not this one!

I do agree with Mike that the 14 way seats would come first before the other options though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again, invaluable. Thank you all. The 14 ways are definitely on the list!

Has anyone had a particular success with negotiating discount off list? A friend of mine has managed to get 5% off the new disco and they're not even on the assembly line yet, so using this as my benchmark, but wondered if there are any choice phrases/approaches that have proven successful amongt forum dwellers?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Do not forget the £55 cup holder covers... they are the only part guaranteed to work 100% Seriously, the car looks odd without them! And yes they should be standard but Jaguar like to prise money out of us suckers! :)

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Kungfumarky said:
Again, invaluable. Thank you all. The 14 ways are definitely on the list!

Has anyone had a particular success with negotiating discount off list? A friend of mine has managed to get 5% off the new disco and they're not even on the assembly line yet, so using this as my benchmark, but wondered if there are any choice phrases/approaches that have proven successful amongt forum dwellers?

Thanks
I managed to get a discount on the finance rate (4.9%) .. free 5 year service pack and Autoglym lifeshine. So worth about 3% as a discount. No actual cash off though. I just asked very nicely :)

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Personally if your getting the Autoglym Lifeshine for free its worth having otherwise i would not pay to have it done, i would get it done by a car detailer as the items used by a detailer and the time and care they take will be much better end result, you have to pay more but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
^ agreed .. also depends on the colour of the car. Mine's white and therefore hides all the sins. If I had a nice shiny blue or black I would have it professionally detailed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I went for the 3.0d. It has lovely performance but I do find the sound a bit grating at times. If I could have afforded the running costs I probably would have gone for the petrol.
Options that I chose and love:
Adaptive cruise
Configurable mood lighting
Heated steering wheel (especially this week - much more useful than the heated seats, which burn your arse after 5 mins)
LED lights - they are fantastic
Blind spot - reverse traffic detection
380w meridian - perfectly good in my opinion
Activity key - use it every night when I go to the gym
Waste of money:
Surround cameras - reversing camera is perfectly adequate. Mirrors will show you where the kerb is

·
Registered
612 Posts
On an F-Pace you'll be lucky to get £1k of a £60k car.

High demand means they are in no rush to be competitive. Give it 2 years and you'll then get a similar discount % to an XF or XE

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I can understand the oil brigade but I've had too many diesels and needed a change. If you do miles and care about economy and filling your tank up a fair bit more stick with diesel.
If you want a slightly more insane acceleration and feeling and don't care less about the extra cost go petrol petrol all the way. The sound alone is worth a fair bit to me.
I'm only doing about 8k a year so fuel savings ? I don't care or worry too much. Getting 200-250 miles a tank instead of 350 means your filling up more often which is a pain I guess and feels like any decent trip you do involves a petrol station.

The motorway torque on the diesel is great and long distance crusing as well. The petrol just gives a grin and feeling the diesel will never replicate and is one for the inner big kid in some ways :)

I love it.

Go for the skinny spare - it's worth it at the price and you can buy the tinned gunk as an addition later at heck of a lot less than a spare and tyre and jack and innards (I've just done this thanksfully from a forum member at a fair enough price)

Climate seats for me are great. Heat in winter air con up your jacksy in summer - lovely.
Blind spot monitor - saved me in car park when poor visibility
825w ICTP Pro, 14 way seats.
Practicality pack I thought was ok with cooled glovebox and gesture tailgate etc.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Oh yes ceramic detailing been a revelation for me. Car was filthy the other day in black grime etc but looked not too bad
Cleaned it Saturday morning with rinse, wash, clean water rinse (with aquagleam) and dry off
36 mins it took me and came up pretty well - spend an hour and it's would be perfect I reckon, wheels, glass the lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well after all of that, it got to be an expensive final list... they're yet to put the order in on their system, but ticking pretty much everything comes to the best part of £68k.
The diesel seemed the sensible choice in the end - though maybe a bit of a contradiction for the Italian Racing Red! The discount came in at a whopping £700 - the 5 year service plan - but I'll take that. Couldn't believe how much more they were trying to charge for GAP, alloy ins., Diamondbrite etc. than what the actual market value is (almost triple - and yes, I'm talking like for like policies) but guess the guys have to earn their commission somehow.

roll on March 1st!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts