Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I drove from Telford to Crowborough, down on Friday back on Sunday, and went along the M42 and the M25 (M40 round to A21). While driving along the M42 in heavy traffic the speed limit indicated in the car was pretty much keeping up with the speed indicated on the overhead gantries as they wondered up and down between 40 and 60. However, on the M25 the car indicated 70 whatever the speed indications on the overhead gantries were indicating, this happened on both journeys, both in daylight and both journeys starting about lunchtime so light conditions pretty similar.

Does anyone know whether the car keeping in step with the speed signs on the gantries is the sign recognition system (working for the M42 but not the older signs on the M25) or if it is data being downloaded via the live traffic function, available for the newer M42 but not the M25?

Has anyone else any experience of the speed limit indications varying with the gantry indications, or not as the case may be?

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
I've had intermittent no-pick-up of speed signs, as well as virtually (have to admit some) no use of any recognition at night, what I find is in a contraflow the signs are not at standard height or distance to be recognised, I will assume.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
I am unsure as to exactly how it works but can confirm that when I am out and about on SMART motorways in the north of country (M1, M62 etc) it adapts to the right speeds as indicated on the gantries, and also knows exactly where temporary speed restrictions are on roadwork's etc.. This makes me assume that it's using 'live traffic' info than anything else....

Works a treat for me....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,228 Posts
It definitely must receive a live feed. Whilst I was on holiday the whole of central Wimbledon became 20mph. The first I knew of it was when I pulled away from my house (no 20mph signs anywhere near) and the car was reporting a 20mph limit. At the time I thought it was a bug!!

(also had same experience as you on the M25)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,035 Posts
I went out down a single carriageway and it told me I could do 70mph yet this road has never been anything other then 30mph and even if it was national speed limit it has always only been a single carriageway so it would have been 60mph tops, I just now use it as a rough guide as I find it doesn't know what it's saying at times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies, they confirm the display is using live data to update the variable speed limit to the car. I agree I wouldn't rely on the displayed speed limit but it is probably a reasonable guide in the absence of any other information or knowledge.

Second question, does anyone's display ever show anything other than speed limits? I ask as I believe an XF I had on loan earlier this year displayed a whole range of signs and I thought the F-Pace would do the same, I have not seen mine do this despite passing other signs in the short time I had it.

Jim
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,035 Posts
Jim said:
Thanks for all the replies, they confirm the display is using live data to update the variable speed limit to the car. I agree I wouldn't rely on the displayed speed limit but it is probably a reasonable guide in the absence of any other information or knowledge.

Second question, does anyone's display ever show anything other than speed limits? I ask as I believe an XF I had on loan earlier this year displayed a whole range of signs and I thought the F-Pace would do the same, I have not seen mine do this despite passing other signs in the short time I had it.

Jim
Jim,

If you go into the setting of the car you can adjust the information you want displayed on the HUD system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jagfpacejk said:
Jim,

If you go into the setting of the car you can adjust the information you want displayed on the HUD system.
Is this functionality only available with the HUD system or should it also be available on the instrument panel screen where the speed limit is displayed? If so, does anyone know how to switch it on?

Jim
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,035 Posts
Jim said:
Jagfpacejk said:
Jim,

If you go into the setting of the car you can adjust the information you want displayed on the HUD system.
Is this functionality only available with the HUD system or should it also be available on the instrument panel screen where the speed limit is displayed? If so, does anyone know how to switch it on?

Jim
You can select if you want your sat nav directions to show and other things, not sure how much, its on the instrument display settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jagfpacejk, I found it in the electronic handbook eventually, the setting is in the Driver assitance sub-menu.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top