Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As with all the other faults that reared their heads today, one final one.......passed a 30mph sign and low and behold did it show 30mph??? NOPE!! Mine chose to show me 70mph. Quite frankly the car is full of issues and it's due back to dealer for inspection and remedy!! Hahaha that's a laugh!! Remedy!!!! From now on I'm going to refer to JLR as arse and the dealer as elbow as neither have a clue!!!! I know the car has more devices than the Freelander 2 I had when they first came out which I rejected, but this cars days are seriously numbered. I have to give arse and elbow more opportunities to correct things, but prior to collection I was assured latest software patch was installed. It's been back once for a second patch so this next return will be third attempt.......you will be updated in due course. :oops: :evil:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Given the three issues, I'd tell the arse and elbow to meet and write a cheque for full refund! I wouldn't hesitate now. Very sad but sometimes you have to cut the problem off!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've had this issue a few times now. It did make me think of who would be liable in the event of a getting a speed ticket if you relied on what you see on screen.

If you can't trust the information 100% it kind of makes it a pointless feature.

·
Registered
27 Posts
SonicPace said:
I've had this issue a few times now. It did make me think of who would be liable in the event of a getting a speed ticket if you relied on what you see on screen.

If you can't trust the information 100% it kind of makes it a pointless feature.
You are still liable - as the person in control of the vehicle, you should be aware of the speed limit and drive within it - the system is there for guidance only. If you are so busy looking at the screens to check the speed limit etc. instead of looking at the road and planning for the conditions / dangers / risks and being aware of speed limits then perhaps it is time to give up driving!

Personally, I think all of these systems are more dangerous than helpful - anything that stops the driver from having to concentrate fully on the activity of driving is a distraction, it is somewhat concerning that it appears people are reliant on these systems to know what the speed limit is.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would totally agree with the above about not being reliant on the speed recognition systems but i dont think its entirely camera based i think it uses sat nav information as well as maybe camera enabled road sign recognition as ive driven down roads where the speed has changed from say 30 to 40 or 40 to 30 mph with no road sign and the system has informed of a change of speed. i think maybe there may be other issues tho as i drove an XE the other week while mine was in for a little tinkering and it showed speed signs and other road hazard signs at the same time, my dash board has never shown other road signs, somethimg i may have to ask about.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
eastwinger said:
Can you turn the system off in the settings? What's the point of a random number generator on the screen. It's like having a speedo that makes up a number. Pointless.
The traffic sign recognition system can be switched on and off via Driver Assistance in the instrument panel menu. See INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Maybe it was one of these issues below, maybe number 3?

The system may provide false information or function incorrectly in the following conditions:

1.The windscreen area in front of the camera is covered by a sticker, misted over, dirty, covered in snow or mud, etc.

2.Travelling in adverse weather conditions. For example, heavy fog, rain, snow, etc.

3.Travelling in an area not covered by the navigation system.

4.Driving toward very bright lights.

5.Concealed or covered signage.

6.Non-conforming road signs.

7.Navigation information is incorrect.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've had this in my merc.
Sometimes the car loses your exact position and if there is a different class of road adjacent it thinks you're on there, the other issue arises as you come around a roundabout and there are different classes of road off, it can see one speed limit sign but then miss the one that you actually take because of the angle of approach.
IMO it's useful but not foolproof - if it's telling you that the limit is 70 then there is a sanity check available via the glass in front of you!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SonicPace was being tongue in cheek about who is liable, but his point being why pay for these driver aids if they don't work! Even the friggin TV doesn't come on when I stop, just get a black screen when stationary!! :evil:

·
Registered
41 Posts
This month Edinburgh Council decided in the central area and some of the roads of this area are now 20 MPH but very little signs to indicate
really rather pointless looking at the speed recognition on the screen.Agree with Shaunyt Comment it is only for guidance.The reality if we could achieve 20MPH in the city plus awful road surfaces we would be damned lucky

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have found TSR quite useful while I am driving around France as it reminds me that the speed limit in towns is 50 kph regardless of whether there is a sign posted or not, more often not, even though I do note what the road signs say as the system can miss the odd sign for whatever reason. On the whole I would say it was a useful aid to be used with care.

·
Registered
539 Posts
But what if you're doing 40, because it looks like a 40 road, and the system is telling you it's a 40. But really it's a 30, and there is a mobile speed camera.

Sorry, but you can't say it's down to the driver when they have clearly made a song and dance about this feature. It appears in the HUD display, it's right in your face.

Last night it was telling me 40 in a 30 and it got me thinking about the above.

Obviously showing 70 in a 30 I get, but 40 in a 30 could mean 3 points without being a bad driver.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
SonicPace said:
But what if you're doing 40, because it looks like a 40 road, and the system is telling you it's a 40. But really it's a 30, and there is a mobile speed camera.

Sorry, but you can't say it's down to the driver when they have clearly made a song and dance about this feature. It appears in the HUD display, it's right in your face.

Obviously showing 70 in a 30 I get, but 40 in a 30 could mean 3 points without being a bad driver.
We've had some roads go from 40 to 30 to 20 and the HUD still shows 40 as there is no signs showing 20 so I guess it uses the mapping system which is only as upto date as its last update and when the road speeds have changed.

Nice idea but I think your still get a speeding ticket.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It does read signs as it picks up variable speed limits and roadwork speed limits which are not mapped.....well normally reads them anyway

·
Registered
539 Posts
My point is, *when* is this system useful if it's cant be 100% relied on?

At any moment when you look at it, it could be telling the truth or a lie. So you have to always assume lie, and therefore it renders it completely pointless?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
macview19 said:
This month Edinburgh Council decided in the central area and some of the roads of this area are now 20 MPH but very little signs to indicate
really rather pointless looking at the speed recognition on the screen.Agree with Shaunyt Comment it is only for guidance.The reality if we could achieve 20MPH in the city plus awful road surfaces we would be damned lucky
ECC has so much debt from project overruns like the trams that I don't think those roads will get more than temporary patching for a few years yet. Has ECC still got those excess trams in the sheds at the airport because they ordered too many for the shortened line which stops at St Andrews Sq instead of Leith?

As for 20mph, you can but dream of reaching such high speed while the festival season is going on.

But at least you'll not damage your alloys in the pot holes below 20mph and we can all look forward to the festival fireworks in a few weeks time, which are amazing.

In all seriousness though, Edinburgh is a wonderful city and it is a lovely thing to have the good fortune to live and work in Scotland. I was in Leeds for three days last week, staying at the Crowne Plaza in the centre. As I walked through Princes Street Gardens this morning, glancing up at Edinburgh Castle, I reflected on what I should be grateful for, and I am.

And an F-Pace on order too! Wow.

Arianne

·
Registered
27 Posts
SonicPace said:

Not sure how a road can look like a 40 but be a 30 - there will be signs indicating the speed along the route, if not the lamposts will tell you, or you could look at the side streets to see if they have a speed limit posted which would indicate that there is a change of speed from the road you are on. Alternatively, if you have not seen a sign, you assume it is 30 (or even a 20 in some built up area's) until such time as it is confirmed by a sign!

Since selling my F Pace - not just due to the faults but because it was not really the car I wanted - I have reverted back to a XKR-S - the interior build and material quality is brilliant (much better than an F Type), and although the infotainment is dated in looks, it all works! The Sat Nav is accurate and loads up more quickly the the F pace did despite being DVD based! The Hi Fi (Bowers & Wilkins) has a much nicer, clearer sound and I now get up early on a Sunday to go for a proper drive!

I bought a Discovery Sport for The Enemy in order that we have a practical car to replace the F Pace - the 2.0 ingenium is a peach, suits the car well and is punchy enough when fully loaded. The interior is well laid out and practical, and the car drives very nicely, with sharp turn in and a very good ride / handling balance. It also has a few issues with the in control system (dropping connections, Sat Nav taking ages to load, Bluetooth Audio disconnecting) but overall I am impressed.

Wish I planned the purchased properly in the first place rather than jumping in at the deep end with the F Pace - I would still recomment it though for someone that wants / needs an SUV that also has a bit more of a Sports Car feel to it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts