Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was just looking for an opinion and to find out other buyers thoughts. My wife is 5'1" and I have a 7yr son so was thinking to add some side steps.... maybe.

I've seen both the fixed and deployable fitted to a car but really are struggling to decide:

(a) looks better without, save some weight/cash
(b) Fixed - adds an accent to the side of a Portfolio in Sapphire blue. Adds praticality.
(c) deployable - keeps the look and adds praticality but at a cost ..... is it worth it.....

I'd really appreciate everyone's view to help me to decide.

Cheers

·
Registered
453 Posts
PhotoSelect said:
Hi,

I was just looking for an opinion and to find out other buyers thoughts. My wife is 5'1" and I have a 7yr son so was thinking to add some side steps.... maybe.

I've seen both the fixed and deployable fitted to a car but really are struggling to decide:

(a) looks better without, save some weight/cash
(b) Fixed - adds an accent to the side of a Portfolio in Sapphire blue. Adds praticality.
(c) deployable - keeps the look and adds praticality but at a cost ..... is it worth it.....

I'd really appreciate everyone's view to help me to decide.

personally none unless you are Knee high to a grasshopper they dont need it, it also adds weight to the car so if you were a bit of a boy racer will reduce overall performance and fuel consumption, every added extra like multi way seats with all there motors etc add more weight and mass to the car affecting everything performance related, also fixed will spoil the lines of the car even tho they are slightly lighter than deployable.

Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the inputs.

The weight is also my consideration ... but wife seems keen. We had an X5 a few years ago and she definately needed them to get in / out of that.

It will not be doing any serious off roading so clearance should be OK, but they might add some protection from my wife's driving in multi story carparks with very high curbs. Although we will have the 360 sensors and cameras fitted .... mmmm

More comments appreciated......

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Photo

I am going for the deployable on my First Edition that I collect on Saturday. Unfortunately the dealer doesn't have the electric pack so they will have to be fitted when that comes in.

I know they are pricey and not essential but I think they look really good and love the way they operate.

Like you I can't see me off-roading too much so the ground clearance simply is not an issue for me.

They will certainly make your FP stand out from the crowd!

·
Registered
184 Posts
None.

Not functional on this car.
Expensive
Had their day
Doubtful they will add to resale value or even help to sell it.
Go on a nice holiday instead

Ditto HS60. And they were hard to keep clean and the aluminium trim developed corrosion spots that you couldn't polish out (on RRS)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had the deployable installed on my FE otherwise the litte'un would need a rope and harness to get in and out.

I do sometimes forget I have them when getting in and out, definitely when getting out, can scuff back of calf... but u get used to it (to use it).

Ryan can answer this 1.. ould faithful with the myriad of scripted replies... when I was at the VIP at Solihull, I saw an FE with deployable side step, I even adjusted the step via the infotainment myself, of which the combinations were;

Out (constantly)
off (constantly)
left side out/right side in (constantly)
right side out/left side in (constantly)
deployable upon which side door is opened

what I actually got is;

Deployable upon door open independent of left/right

off (constantly)

I queried this with the dealer, as was a dealer fit option, he informed me that Jag had set up the infotainment options for the side step.

I do expect a reply on this one Ryan.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just been informed that the electric pack came in and the deployable steps have now been fitted ready for collection tomorrow.

I put a couple of picture up if I can work out how to do it!

Roll on tomorrow!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Habxxx said:
Same as you Smash

Only able to turn on and off or put them out to wash the roof.
Appreciate the feedback.

I was told the side step would come out only dependent on the side the door opens (both sides being independent), but what I realise is both come out.... I'll double check .. but what I am finding with this and 'other' extras or that which the dealer said the FE would come with doesn't and or functionality missing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had the deployable side steps fitted 3 weeks ago on my First Edition that has now gone.

An honest assessment is my wife and 11 year old daughter used them and liked them but myself and 15 year old daughter did not really like them.

As someone else pointed out, as a driver you tend to forget about them (don't need them) so when you put your foot on the ground the steps hit the back of your calf. This is annoying to say the least!

Getting in the car, you have to remember to tread on them which is not natural in my opinion.

They do look good and work well, are great for a novelty factor but in all honesty are not needed on the car.

If you can try a car with them on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts