Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have the 3.0d S on order.

At first this seemed an easy choice. I have been a diesel driver for 10 years + now, so used to the characteristics and decent fuel economy. I also assumed the running costs of the petrol would be a bit frightening (am used to paying £200 a year insurance, £120 a year VED and do about 12k miles a year).
When I checked out prospective car insurance for the 3.0d a couple of months ago I was getting quotes of around £560 and assumed it would probably more for the petrol. Just ran another search and it's now coming in at £250 a year for the diesel and amazingly £240 a year for the petrol.
VED for the diesel is £180 a year and for the petrol its (if I am reading this correctly) £300 a year - so basically £10 per month more - which when you consider the cost of purchase and fuel is nothing.
Purchase price for the two models is the same - so it really comes down to the difference in fuel cost - and of course which one I will enjoy driving more.
So perhaps DAL can help me here: what is the average mileage you can achieve in the petrol when not driven completely silly?!
If it's around 25mpg, then I'm assuming this will be around 10mpg less than the diesel - so I reckon about an extra £55 a month on fuel. So all in about an extra £65 a month in running costs.
So the question is - would I enjoy it more than the diesel, enough to make me want to pay the extra. As we know - there are no petrol versions around for me to try it so I need to ask the opinion of others.
The videos showing the exhaust sound, sound amazing, but when driven conservatively (which I am known to do occasionally) will it be quite civilised and quiet - or will I begin to tire of the sports car sound?
I also plan to keep the car for a good few years, so maybe once the 5 year service plan expires, maybe the servicing costs could be a bit scary.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've been having the same thoughts! :lol:

I do like the idea of the petrol - particularly the engine note - but have also changed my order from a 2.0d to a 3.0d already which added a couple of months to my delivery date so I'm reluctant to change again.... I also wondered whether the 3.0d residuals would be better with this engine being more popular than the SC (but I may be wrong).

I decided on sticking with the 3.0d and, assuming I still love the F Pace, possibly changing it for an ex-demo / 1yr old SC in a few years time.... you never know, they may be available in caesium blue by then!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was toying with this is as well but decided to stick with the diesel. I'm only keeping the car a year then trading up for another one so the idea of losing more cash in a year is too much for me. If I was keeping for 3+ years I would definitely go for the SC but I can't justify the 1 year depreciation.

It is a pretty engine note though and I may have a moment of lunacy...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
One I hadn't seen before.

I do wonder what it really,sounds like normally as on some it's pretty quiet and I guess normal "Eco" driving it's pretty quiet ?

For me after years of diesel I wanted a change of how a petrol works and of course sounds. I only do about 8K a year so don't care about the extra cost :)

And how do people record these exhaust sounds, that one there isn't from inside the car at front with Windows up etc
Just interested to know exactly the volume
DAL how's your sound daily

·
Registered
161 Posts
That YouTube clip is really messing with my head! :? :lol:

·
Registered
142 Posts
MyNameIsMatt said:
I do like the idea of the petrol - particularly the engine note - but have also changed my order from a 2.0d to a 3.0d already which added a couple of months to my delivery date so I'm reluctant to change again.... I also wondered whether the 3.0d residuals would be better with this engine being more popular than the SC (but I may be wrong).
:twisted:
The residuals I was quoted showed the SC worth about £1700 more than the deisel after 4 years. Thereby making the monthly payments about £60 less a month (this surprised the sales people at Jag as well as me). This was back in October so things may have changed as I haven't signed a final order yet. Although currently I am driving a diesel, I normally only drive petrol and do just under 10k per year. It's worth doing a comparison on pcp finance seeing as they are identical prices even if you don't intend to purchase this way.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Hi all.

Go drive both engines in the XF and try to be honest about how you will own and drive the car.

Don't get me wrong I love JLR SC product. I've owned three.

But having never owned or even considered a diesel car in the past I couldn't believe how much the 3.0d suited my driving style. Having all the torque available the instant you hit the throttle in almost any gear is quite something.

Without a doubt for me the diesel is the quicker car for 80% of my drive. Ignore 0-60. Ask yourself how often you hit the Rev limiter. If you have the opportunity and desire to push nearer the limit there's a lot to be said for the SC. For sure it sounds a whole lot better and it comes alive in the upper revs. It feels (to me) a little breathless at lower revs.

The FP is no Macan when it comes to dynamics at the limit, and I'm thankful for that. Jag blends comfort and pace like few others. I chose an XKR over an Aston V8 back in 2007 after a number of test drives.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure the FP SC is one helluva car. But I think the SC motor is better suited to other cars wearing the leaper.

The FP is peerless IMO at wafting along at serious pace but it's no sports car. The 3.0d suits its abilities perfectly. I said I would never own a diesel car and now I have one on order.

Just my 2p. I actually think there's no bad FP. And that's saying something.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm currently averaging 37mpg in my 3.0d and expect this to increase to 40mpg once loosen up.

The sound from the Petrol will obviously be better but although the 0-60 is quicker in the Petrol I'm not so sure during normal driving that it will feel it. My dealer kindly lent me a F-Type S for a day while I had one of my alloys swapped over and I swear my F-Pace felt a fair bit quicker we I got back into it.

Don't get me wrong the F-Type S isn't slow but you really need to rev it to get the best from it which under normal driving conditions isn't always possible and that hurts the fuel economy even more. The F-Type S on the trip computer was average just over 23mpg

Then you have to take in the re-sale value which is unknown at this time but I suspect it's a bit more of a gamble with the petrol compared to the diesel but rarity might help.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thank you JLR5 and pacmeoff for your wise words - you have silenced the little red man sat on my shoulder!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've only done 650 miles and not really tried the ECO mode yet but I seem to be getting around 28-29 MPG at the moment. Ref my post on running in it seems that I should not play hard until 2000 miles ish according to the manual.

I love the sound, I love the handling...you only live once was my personal view and I only average around 9000 miles PA so not really any fuel cost implication for me. Also as there will be only a few SC's around I expect the residual to be pretty good. This will be a fantastic 1 owner car for someone in 2-3 years when I change (unless an SVR version appears first lol)...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
And DAL how loud is the engine. Look at that clip I posted a few up -
Can you hear it properly but it's quiet on normal driving

Also does it feel,OK for the day to day stuff. The Diesel as some have pointed out may be better suited with its effortless torque - I've got a 3.0 S on the XF and it's great. The test drive I had was the diesel on F Pace and it was ok. Glided but never felt exciting
I wanted a petrol and was going to buy an XF but this car suits ideally right now and can't wait for my SC to be delivered.

2000 miles before you can Give it some DAL, that's a bit of a wait - best get driving.

·
Registered
948 Posts
If you are the type of person who loved to ring an engine's neck then the 3.0SC is for you and you are also rewarded with a cracking exhaust/engine note but you will undoubtedly pay at the pump for this.... another thing is the 3.0d will pull much better on part throttle and low to mid revs. I'm not convinced that longterm the petrol will command the same residuals as the diesel, if it did it would buck the trend of just about every equivalent brand/model.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have driven both the petrol and diesel 3.0l and they have quite different characteristics as you would expect. I always intended to go with the diesel and driving the two of them confirmed my choice - the diesel suits my driving style and the the fact that I do a high mileage (20k+ per annum).
On the other hand, the petrol was a great drive and I'm sure that anyone who buys one will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
HS60 said:
I have driven both the petrol and diesel 3.0l and they have quite different characteristics as you would expect. I always intended to go with the diesel and driving the two of them confirmed my choice - the diesel suits my driving style and the the fact that I do a high mileage (20k+ per annum).
On the other hand, the petrol was a great drive and I'm sure that anyone who buys one will not be disappointed.
Did you drive a petrol FP? If so, where?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I drove the petrol F Pace last January. It was lent to me by a friend of a friend who works for Jaguar.
It was on 22" wheels, had the head up display, skinny spare with the flat boot floor, etc. It was also covered in 'prototype' stickers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So I asked my dealer today, hypothetically, what would happen if I changed my order from the 3.0d due early Sept to the SC..... the reply was 'best estimate is delivery Nov possibly Dec'.

Decision made (not that I was making a decision.... or was I....? I'm not sure!), I'm sticking with the 3.0d :cool:

·
Registered
948 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
My petrol 3dr Evoque was worth more at trade in than a 5dr diesel. Go figure!
I wonder was it a case of the 3dr is more desirable than the 5dr rather than a petrol vs diesel thing?

You'll not convince me that the equivalent petrol will be worth more than diesel in the real world, diesel sales are out stripping petrol year on year, it's what people want.... especially in Europe, of course there will be those that will prefer a petrol but they are getting fewer and fewer as each year goes by.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I was very surprised too. And if people desire a 3dr Evoque they have obviously never tried to get in and out of the back seats! It does look very good though particularly in Dynamic trim. Still look at it 4 years on and think "that's a lovely looking car"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts