Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unexpected turn of events this week. As some of you know, a key element underpinning the QA and seamless ownership experience for me and my potential F-pace was my dealer. I have done business with them for ten years. But I received a call to explain that they have sold the Jaguar side of the business to Lloyds Kelso (the LR dealer) as of January. And so my order is transferred to them too.

Not great TBH. There goes my reliable, personal and trusty dealership that is a few minutes away from where I live. Now the dealer is about 40mins away and I have no experience of doing business with them.

However, I have the option to bail out and receive my deposit back. I am weighing it up across the weekend. The fragile nature of these cars is freaking me out and, as beautiful as they are, in S trim they are jolly expensive with absolutely no discounts whatsoever. I wonder if I should take the exit opportunity?

Options include continuing with my 2014 Volvo XC60 which has been pretty reliable since Volvo finally found a proper fix for the EGR cooler issue earlier this year. The local dealer is continuing with the Volvo franchise. It's the cheapest option, although not the most exciting. I would hang on to it for a couple more years and then sell it privately before buying something else - maybe an F-pace with better build quality and some incentives by then.

Option two is to find another car. That's what I will be kicking around in my head this weekend. Can't think what right now but the money I am spending on the F-pace is a serious pile of cash so it makes sense to take stock again.

I feel a bit miffed TBH. The order was locked down a few days back and I remember saying to the salesman that, if it wasn't for Clelands being as good as they are, I am unsure whether I would be taking the risk with Jaguar right now. At the time the salesman himself didn't know about the transfer.

Now Carl has rejected his car. He loved that car. I lived that journey with him on this forum - the pre delivery excitement, the initial joy, the highs and lows of the troublesome ownership and now the loss. I have read and followed the same journey for others in this forum. Some have stuck with their cars but experience all kinds of issues, some of which are persistent and which would drive me mad.

It's a dilemma. But it's one I will resolve by the end of the weekend.

Yours sadly,

Arianne

·
Registered
8 Posts
From my week-long experience - don't bail. I can't fault mine. All the bad news on this site is down to a very few members who are making a meal of some, in my mind, fixable problems. Many of the complaints could be remedied by reading the manual and the rest, as I say, are fixable. Stick with it - you'll love it. R

·
Registered
612 Posts
I would personally keep the order.

I must admit I did question my order and thought about cancling based on this forum. My Dad owned a first edition XF and then an XJ and loved them both. My driving of both his cars gave me great pleasure and that's why I test drive an f-pace.

I didn't cancel and my car is due soon. The reason I didn't is that the majority of the problems seem to be ICTP problems, which in time will get patched, even if it's not as fast as some people seem to be hoping for.

All the other issues are minor mechanical Ines that jag seem to resolve very fast.

Also once you start looking deep into the post it's the same 5-10 people constantly ranting. Yes I understand they are frustrated and deeply disappointed but it has turn these forums into a major downer.

I know their problems are real, but once you have rejected your car constantly posting here on threads with "jag will never fix it" just degrades the forums, and isn't constructive in anyway.

Summary : most problems are ICTP related and this won't effected your driving enjoyment of the car.
As for the dealer ... if you go anywhere different you won't have that level of trust ... so don't see this a major factor.

Your call, and it's understandable to have second thoughts. Be happy in your choices and don't regret disscions you make -whatever they are!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Arianne

Understand why your in the dilemma but as I suspect you well know your decision like all car purchases boils down to head over heart or heart over head.

Your smart enough to work out the head part - Cost now versus costs later/ tax changes/ loss of trusted local dealer etc etc.

The bit maybe we can help with is the heart side. Yes this forum has been a little dominated in the last couple of months by about half a dozen people who have had very poor experiences with their cars for whom the experience has been terrible and they have rightly rejected them. But there are many many happy owners, lots who don't frequent this forum and lots that do. All new cars have some teething issues and there is always the occasional lemon. My FPace has had some of the issues but they seem largely fixed now.

I agree with Old Kiwi I love mine. I still see lots of other large 4x4 drivers having a sneaky peek at it. But most important to me is how I feel and I love how it looks on the outside and inside. I like the feel of the materials that I touch. I like the fact its using a new gen of automotive IT because it will future proof it and allow over the air enhancements and upgrades ( just like my mates Tesla). I like the remote tech especially starting it on a cold morning (which incidentally turns on the heated seats and the heated front and back windscreens). I love the voice recognition which is fab. I love the fact there are often workarounds to issues that others have discovered (sorry forgot who) e.g. ( Memory setting 3 to lower both mirrors when reversing or voice recognition commands to save searching through lots of albums on a USB stick). Ultimately I like the fact that I choose to take it over the other cars I own and I smile a lot while driving it

At the end of the day there are worse situations in life than to be choosing whether to purchase a 60K car or not.

Enjoy your weekend decision making

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had my Portfolio 3 months now and no problems, it's a great car and love it. From my experience I would say stay with it and you will love it too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I picked mine up mid November. I have done 900 miles. It is the best car I have ever owned. Without doubt.
I have no "real" problems. No more than any other new car.
The car looks and drives like a dream.
IMHO there is nothing to touch it on the market today.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If you have the patience, stick with your Volvo and see how the new dealer is. Are you in a rush to change so far everything suggests you have the time, seems the most sensible option to me if I were in your shoes.

I think JLR need to vet dealers more frequently and dump some. At the same time see if the JLR development team finish the work on ICTPro. I really like my F Pace but will never buy a new model in its first year again, too much risk. With JLR that might be two years.

this could be a really good thing for you.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I'd be in the keep camp.
Firstly your car may be perfect for you. New software and fixes may well be with your new car anyway even if it wasn't.
The dealer is important yes but let's say there are problems, you just take a harder line.
Record the problems, give them one chance to fix and just reject in first 30 days

My issues have been ICTP but I've coped and urban driving with wobbly suspension. The urban side I've got better with and the ICTP was almost all fixed with 2.5. I thought it broke my media player but I fixed that yesterday so now it's just the 3G and I'm going in next week to discuss that.

Given where you live then it would be perfect. Scotland don't have 3G yet do they :)
All my recent motorway , a road and country driving has been a thrill.

Utlimately there is a element of risk but also the new dealer may actually be really good as well.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Hi Arianne.

I would stick with it. In fact that's what I've just done as you know. I was one of the unfortunate ones with a car riddled with issues but when faced with the option of bailing and getting my money back or giving it another go I chose the latter. I had the same weekend of dilemmas that you are facing but the simple fact is there is no better performing better looking SUV on the market. Period.

Yes there are some typical JLR quirks (which as blackjagmike pointed out I've found a way around) and yes there is a small possibility you will get the odd gremlin, but I'm very happy to accept mine were unusual and won't be repeated in the replacement car. I've had 4 JLR cars before this one and I love the brand and their vehicles.

I know your real dilemma is you want this car but now you enter a relationship with a dealer who is unknown. So I would be paying him a visit and air your concerns and see how he/she responds. You strike me as someone who is an excellent judge of character. You'll know very quickly.

In any case, whoever the dealer, if you find yourself in the highly unlikely position where you need it then legislation really is on your side.

I'd carry on with my F Pace purchase if I were you. All the best.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I can understand your reservations if the dealer you have trusted is about to disappear and you are nervous about getting a problem child...

To be honest, reading this forum over the five month wait period for mine actually made be dread the day of handover. Having been through a nightmare with a previous test bed JLR product I was, and in a way still am, scared of it.... Yet....

apart from some minor hiccups, it all seems to work fine.... It is an awesome car to drive - there is no other SUV package out there with the combination of Sport and Utility....

Don't let the impressions you get here be the thing that sways your decision..... I have no relationship left with the purchasing dealer, yet I doubt it will impact me in the long run... The 30 days is up Monday and although I've only done 300 miles there is nothing to warrant the dreaded 'rejection' word so I don't have to deal with them yet...

And we need more shiny IRRs on the road!

Best wishes in making your decision! :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
I had a similar experience only it was Audi and not Jaguar, I had built up a great working relationship with the sales manager of Agnew's Audi Belfast and between personal and business had spent close on half a mill over a ten year period but a few years back they were bought out by the Sytner group and frankly everything that made Angnew's great disappeared overnight.

Haven't been back and have now changed all our fleet to other brands.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
I'm now four months in and without a single problem to report. My ICT equipped F-Pace has behaved perfectly, faultlessly, and I actively look forward to getting in and driving it every single day. Without doubt, of all the cars I've had in too many years to mention, it is the car I am the most proud of to own and it simply makes me happy every single time I drive it.

Personally, I can't say I'm swayed by anything I've read on the forum, because ultimately it's all just background noise, but if you let it get the better of you it could undoubtedly give you a crisis of confidence. For me, it's only my own empirical experience that counts and that has not been altered by anything anyone else has experienced, said, or done. Just FWIW, I'm having a little wager with myself, I reckon Arianne will cancel his order . . . but I'll be very glad if he proves me wrong and I lose my stake . . I'm definitely not always right, but I only ever bet what I can afford to lose anyway :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I received that very same letter this morning. Change of dealership is not great. I choose to use these guys because of the reasons you have stated. They are not the closest to me but have always found their customer service faultless. I for one will be waiting to see what develops before deciding on what car or even brand to go to next. Similarly I know people with experience of other Jaguar dealers using this one for the same reasons, I wonder how they will react. I've been into the Jaguar / Landrover joint dealership in Carlisle, and find it a little soulless, and trying a little too hard...

Best of luck which ever decision you make.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Keep it!
I bought my first Jaguar 2 years ago, the F-Type and reluctantly part exchanged it for the F-Pace which has been a great consolation, in some ways. I was a member of the F-Type forum and the feeds were almost exactly the same to this one, the niggles and problems seem to dominate discussions. What I observed with the problem discussions here are primarily software issues specially the ICTP. The same was with the F-Type with software issues. I completely ignored them as it marred my love for the F-Type and did not bolster my new found faith in a great British car manufacturer.
Ok, Im a bit old school and opted for almost no extras on my car, just the automatic boot front sensors and leather seats and thats it. I just want to bloody drive the Big Cat and I must say I am so glad I bought the F-Pace.
If you REALLY love the car, go for it, if you have another car in mind then all the best.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Strikes me that based on the premise that he don't trust any unknown dealers, no matter what brand, and that anything as much as 40 miles away is going to be too much, irrespective of vehicle type, his next vehicle can only be a new Volvo surely. How adventurous, or pedantic, is that?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YORKIE said:
Strikes me that based on the premise that he don't trust any unknown dealers, no matter what brand, and that anything as much as 40 miles away is going to be too much, irrespective of vehicle type, his next vehicle can only be a new Volvo surely. How adventurous, or pedantic, is that?
Okay, chill :roll:

Anyway, more generally folks - thank you for taking the time and trouble of sharing your thoughts, advice and opinion which is quite touching to be honest.

Mrs A and I are off to speak with the new dealer this afternoon and see what they have to say for themselves. Called them this morning and they admitted that they too only learned of this development two days ago. I will use the experience we have today to help inform my decision. I have had some pretty awful dealership experiences in my time and I consider the dealer support, pre and post-sale to be very important to me. I don't take kindly to dealers that choose to prise and damage alloy wheel centre caps off with screwdrivers thereby breaking to lacquer seal so whiteworm begins, or salesman who tell me that there are bigger things in life than my new car tripping into safe mode, the ICE freezing and the tailgate creaking because their daughter died just two weeks earlier and it makes you think about things differently (which is, of course, absolutely true but tells me that his dealer principal should not have had him back at work so soon as this is inappropriate with a customer). Or the Ford Galaxy dealer that thought my TDi VW sourced engine in my Galaxy was the same as the Ford TDCi unit and failed to spot that my replacement winter rims were too small for the upgraded brake calipers on my particular model year. I could go on but we have all been there and have our own stories to tell.

Clelands have, for the most part, simply been a breath of fresh air across ten years of ownership. They ain't cheap but they are quality. I would have stuck with Volvo had they not made the terrible decision to move all of their range to the common four cylinder engine architecture and use turbos to squeeze out the bhp. They sound wheezy and have a different driving characteristic to the V6 or the old Volvo five cylinder unit. So another Volvo is out of the question and that means Clelands is history for me.

Other SUVs, there are none. I have checked again. They all look virtually identical and none perform well except the Porsche and we hate the ugly appearance and cramped rear of the Macan. Neither do we like the Cayenne, it's nearly finished for its production run and we are unsure that we want to be associated with the Porsche image amongst our friends (being really truthful there, sorry but that's just us).

So if it's an SUV then it's got to be the F-pace or I stick with my current Volvo XC60 R-design for a bit longer. She looks lovely but is a bit boring to drive and the passive but stiffened suspension is a bit rubbish for the rear seat occupants, especially when she is running her gorgeous 20" optional summer rims.

Otherwise it's about exiting SUVs and widening the net to embrace normal premium cars. Yes, all of the available dealers will be far away which is the price we pay of living in the beautiful Scottish Borders. That's the reality now that Clelands have sold their Jaguar franchise on.

Once again, thank you to all. It is genuinely helpful to read the joy and thrill so many folk are having from their new F-pace cars. Helps balance things up in my head. I'll weigh this one up carefully over the next couple of days. It's both head and heart at work and they don't always agree! Nice problem to have though, I guess. Few folk are as fortunate as us lot to either already own, have an f-pace on order or be deliberating whether to take one or something else.

Best wishes.

Arianne

·
Registered
612 Posts
Just for infor really I say this ...

My 2nd choice behind the jag was a Lexus RX 450h

Nothing like the Jag in terms of Driving satisfaction but when I owned my IS250 the dealership experience was the best I've ever received times 100!!!

I understand a good dealer makes the world of difference, it here is a reason Lexus are always number one in any buyers polls.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hi Arianne,
I am in the stick with it camp, I am going to write a longer post on my experience tonight to give you a full view, you will be interested I hope...

Good luck with the dealer, and look forward to hearing how you go with it.
Piers

·
Registered
688 Posts
Again I'm against your jexit dilemma. I along with a number of us have faultless cars and faultless dealer experiences which has made my first venture to the JLR brand excellent. Yes there are people with problems and ultimately it's the dealers capability of handling the relationship with you will that will determine if you're a happy and satisfied owner.

The car itself is beautiful to look at and drive. I was a year ago waiting for the new Q5 to be released when I paid more attention to the f-pace and fell in love. There is just no other suv on the market that compares. You'll be continually thinking "what if" if you decide to change.

I for one had no experience with my dealer, they just happened to be closest. They've exceeded all expectations; granted I've a fault free car and no reason to speak to them!

Will be great to hear on how your meeting with your new dealer went.

Stick with it, more then worth while to do so.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Are the existing staff being moved on?

Or are the new owners retaining them? Maybe you won't notice any difference?

fwiw, try building a MB GLC AMG on the configurator.
OK, not as curvaceous as an F Pace but it'll all work. ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.