Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought the 24Gb sim car from Amazon for my car which is installed and working fine. I am trying set up an account with Three to monitor the data usage and during the set up process they ask for the phone number and text me a security code to proceed. The sim card is in the car and does not fit my phone. In any case it is data only and according to the Three shop does not receive SMS. From reading the forum posts I know this sim is very popular so how do you set up and account and monitor the usage?

I have also tried the app on my mobile and they still text a code to the phone number. I could break up the card put it my phone then reassemble it for the car, but if the sim does not support SMS this will not work either.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah, I never got past the security code part, so I just use the SIM and get another when when it tells me the data has run out! You used to be able to get usage info from the 3 website using the browser in the car (when connected) but they seem to have removed that function from their website now.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You can monitor data usage in the car if you go to Settings, Connectivity, Mobile Settings, Usage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the replies. I found the usage in the mobile settings this morning, so I will not waste anymore time trying to do it with a Three account.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone had issues with the 3 Sim just stopping? I purchased a 40Gb card, but I'm sure it said 40Gb or 2 years. So it's starting to play up as it's passed the 2 year point. Sometimes connects, sometimes doesn't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have found the usage in the car's mobile setting to be a bit iffy. Last week it was recording 124 MB used and today it is back to 8 MB. I have not reset the counter and all the settings were correct, 24 GB and only reset after 24 months.

As a result I have now managed to set up a Three account by going on to their Live Chat which was quick and easy for anyone interested, and I can now monitor my data usage online.

·
Registered
482 Posts
On mine the usage counter in the car will automatically reset every month, on the selected, unless you switch it off. I don't have an option to reset after a given number of months. What year is your car?

Edit:

I have just looked at the date. I am guessing that what you think is a reset every 24 months is in fact a reset on the 24th of every month, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I always thought that these 3G data sims only work for 12 months after you first start using them. I've changed mine on the dot every year but my current sim should have been up on the 1st September but as far as I can tell its still working! I'm reluctant to put my new one in until I'm 100% sure things stop working like Internet, WiFi hotspot, live traffic, satellite mode on navigation etc. Any ideas as I'm confused?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Some of the 3 ones are definitely 24 months. Don't know about any other operator.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Arnie! said:
I always thought that these 3G data sims only work for 12 months after you first start using them. I've changed mine on the dot every year but my current sim should have been up on the 1st September but as far as I can tell its still working! I'm reluctant to put my new one in until I'm 100% sure things stop working like Internet, WiFi hotspot, live traffic, satellite mode on navigation etc. Any ideas as I'm confused?

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KeithL said:
On mine the usage counter in the car will automatically reset every month, on the selected, unless you switch it off. I don't have an option to reset after a given number of months. What year is your car?

Edit:

I have just looked at the date. I am guessing that what you think is a reset every 24 months is in fact a reset on the 24th of every month, but I could be wrong.
The car is 2018 F-Pace S. You can adjust the size of the data and the reset period, reset the counter manually, or switch the auto reset off. For someone on a X data per month contract you can set the data limit and the period in months. I set mine to 24 GB and 24 months as that is when the card expires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KeithL said:

Edit:

My apologies I have just had another look and you are absolutely correct. What I thought was reset after 24 months is reset on the 24th, which explains why it reset at the weekend. I cannot see a way to turn the reset option off or set the date to zero so I have now turned "usage limit" off which hope will do the same thing and stop it resetting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts