Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
can anybody advise how easy- or not- it is for a non tech like me to update my F Pace satnav? Dealer has sent me a link to here. navigation….
don’t want to start it if it’s beyond me!
Thanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
Do you mean updating the maps? If so then for the pre-Pivi Pro systems it is dead easy if a bit tedious. I have no experience of the later systems.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I take it that means you are referring to map updates in which case you will need a PC and a 64Gb USB stick (32Gb isn't big enough for some of the downloads). Go to this site Jaguar Route Planner and set up an account (different to your InControl account). You will need to add your vehicle under My Account and then check there is a current subscription under Maps and Services. If not then you will have to buy one, and thereafter you click Get Latest Version and follow the instructions. Downloads take several hours! You then insert the USB stick into the car and follow the instructions. The updates take about 25 minutes. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take it that means you are referring to map updates in which case you will need a PC and a 64Gb USB stick (32Gb isn't big enough for some of the downloads). Go to this site Jaguar Route Planner and set up an account (different to your InControl account). You will need to add your vehicle under My Account and then check there is a current subscription under Maps and Services. If not then you will have to buy one, and thereafter you click Get Latest Version and follow the instructions. Downloads take several hours! You then insert the USB stick into the car and follow the instructions. The updates take about 25 minutes. Good luck.
Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
A bit confused.....
I thought when I bought the car (Jan 2021) that I was told all future Satnav map upgrades would come via wireless and there would be nothing for me to do.
Two days ago I received an email saying "New map upgrades available", so I followed instructions and copied the update to an SD card. Popped it into the only USB slot and guess what? Nothing.
Having read various notes on satnav upgrades I read that my car doesn't have a satnav upgrade option via USB. I interrogated the info in the car and above a great long list of countries that the installed maps work for I saw at the top a message that said "New Satnav map available and gave a web address. Should the upgrade install automatically or do I have to do something?
I hadn't spotted this advice that a new map is available as I had never dug that deeply into the info in the car before-not needed to.
I don't have a slot in the cubby marked "Satnav" as I had on previous XFs
What to do?
2021 model 250 petrol R dynamic

·
Registered
91 Posts
A bit confused.....
I thought when I bought the car (Jan 2021) that I was told all future Satnav map upgrades would come via wireless and there would be nothing for me to do.
Two days ago I received an email saying "New map upgrades available", so I followed instructions and copied the update to an SD card. Popped it into the only USB slot and guess what? Nothing.
Having read various notes on satnav upgrades I read that my car doesn't have a satnav upgrade option via USB. I interrogated the info in the car and above a great long list of countries that the installed maps work for I saw at the top a message that said "New Satnav map available and gave a web address. Should the upgrade install automatically or do I have to do something?
I hadn't spotted this advice that a new map is available as I had never dug that deeply into the info in the car before-not needed to.
I don't have a slot in the cubby marked "Satnav" as I had on previous XFs
What to do?
2021 model 250 petrol R dynamic
Hi Willy
I assume you have the new Pivi Pro system in your car. If so the maps update ( local area) over wifi. The update showing on the screen is for the whole of Europe and my understanding is that maps would update over the air if you visit any other countries. I hope that makes sense

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Willy
I assume you have the new Pivi Pro system in your car. If so the maps update ( local area) over wifi. The update showing on the screen is for the whole of Europe and my understanding is that maps would update over the air if you visit any other countries. I hope that makes sense
Many thanks for your prompt reply. Yes it is Pivi Pro. I guess your suggestion does sound plausible that the maps are only updated when you actually get to drive into a country with an update pending. It means that that advice about "new maps available" is likely to stay there forever as I am unlikely to be driving in Albania any time soon!
The email I received from Jaguar then clearly does not apply to me or anyone with Pivi Pro. It makes you wonder whey they bothered to send it to me in the first place.
It would have been sensible to receive a message saying that the UK map at least had been updated, but to my knowledge no such message has been received.
Many thanks again. I propose to do nothing!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I forgot to mention that I also got the email from JLR, it’s a pity they can’t get their act together a bit better. To be fair if I remember the email did say something about updates to “in control “ which I believe was the system prior to pivi pro.
I did do a manual update on the pivi system once and it took forever. If you google update pivi pro maps it sends you to a different link ( but I wouldn’t bother unless you going in to Europe and want to update before you get there)

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are quite right, the email does say it's for "In Control" and it doesn't mention "Pivi Pro". The former rang bells as that was what I had on the previous two XF's.. Thanks for the link to searching for updating the Pivi system. I think I will interrogate the car and see if I can see the reference for the current map and if it refers to the UK only and does that match with the individual reference to the update maps on offer. Failing that I will do absolutely nothing. I guess updating the whole Europe thing would be a huge file and take some time to download and install. I am not so sure I am that interested!

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/QUOTE]
the UK map does update automatically - its difficult to tell from the list of versions for different country maps though. I've updated all the maps twice now. You dont go to Jaguar route planner - just search on pivi map updates and follow your nose.
It's a bit of a pain to do as you have to download the set of maps onto a usb stick, then plug it in the central glove box USB port. When the car detects the stick it will tell you how long the update will take - in both my cases it was around 1hr 15minutes (yes really!). The problem is that although it says to keep the ignition on during that time I could only complete an update by keeping the engine running (otherwise it timed out after doing 10-11%) so I installed the updates during long journeys rather than ticking over for that long. On both occasions, after around 1hr 5minutes the update stopped for a while and I thought it would not complete but around 5 minutes later it suddenly counts up faster to 100%. Best of luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts