Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Depending on which engine, under the oil filler cap is a small pipe, attach your suction pump to that. If no pipe then via the the oil level dipstick tube, insert a smaller diameter stiff tube into it, connected to your oil suction pump. Such tubes are usually supplied with the suction pump. Caution though, don't drop and lose that tube down the dipstick tube! Warm the engine first, idle for 5 to 8 minutes is enough.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on which engine, under the oil filler cap is a small pipe, attach your suction pump to that. If no pipe then via the the oil level dipstick tube, insert a smaller diameter stiff tube into it, connected to your oil suction pump. Such tubes are usually supplied with the suction pump. Caution though, don't drop and lose that tube down the dipstick tube! Warm the engine first, idle for 5 to 8 minutes is enough.
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, neither my engine has that small tube, nor a dipstick. It's a 30d and here is a photo of the engine bay. In my opinion, what I circled out in red, seems to be the only possible place to suck oil from. However, it's a twisted hose, it's not a straight pipe... is this the right place to take it out from?

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ah, sorry my memory is failing, I've been working on too many petrol engines recently! Yes, that's the 3.0D oil extraction point. It's a tube already fitted, simply remove the cap, it twists off to release, then pull, but don't lose it. Connect your oil vacuum pump to the top and suck away.

Reactions: MMXVI

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I had a 3.0D, I kept the oil 2 notches down from full, measured when warm. That way I could keep an eye if oil dilution was occurring as the level would be seen to increase. Not that mine ever did. If you fill until it's completely full, you'll simply get "Oil overfull" should dilution have occured and you'll not know to what extent.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I had a 3.0D, I kept the oil 2 notches down from full, measured when warm. That way I could keep an eye if oil dilution was occurring as the level would be seen to increase. Not that mine ever did. If you fill until it's completely full, you'll simply get "Oil overfull" should dilution have occured and you'll not know to what extent.
I know, that's why I want to remove the oil so it's not at the maximum. Jaguar dealership did the oil change, I checked the oil level the next day and it was full to the max and probably above... who knows how much.

I don't know when the car throws an overfill warning because 2 years ago, the dealer told me they drained 1 liter more than the expected and the car didn't show any warning. So I don't want to rely on this oil overfill warning.

Btw, do you happen to know how much oil there is between each two oil marks on the dash? Or between half and full?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I believe, but am not sure, that each electronic level mark is 0.25 litre.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You won't get an overfull warning, it'll only advise this when the level is checked, the display will say overfull. You will get a warning for low oil level though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You won't get an overfull warning, it'll only advise this when the level is checked, the display will say overfull. You will get a warning for low oil level though.
No, I check the oil every 1-3 weeks, I've never seen an overfill warning. Back then I didn't know about the oil dilution problems and after they told me the oil was 1l more, I realized I had to be more careful to avoid headaches. That's why I wanted to be on the safe side and remove some of the oil.

Anyway, thank you for your help. I removed 0.6l oil and all is fine now. It was easier than I expected, actually.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can do an oil change on the Jaguars by vacuum extraction, including removing the engine cover and changing the oil filter, all while wearing a suit and not get a speck of dirt on it. It's just so easy.

I don't know if ICT/P gives an over full oil warning. The manual oil level check will state "Overfull" if it is overfilled. I know the older XF I had, and XKR will show an amber warning on the message centre.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I change my 3 ltr Diesel oil by using the extraction tube (8mm tube fits over it I think), I put in 6 ltrs then check the oil level & usually end up putting 6.5 ltrs in & that is 2 notches down from max on the electronic dip stick. So that would equate to each notch being 0.25ltr as mention above. The oil filter is mounted on top of the engine under the engine cover too so the whole process is simples! :cool:

Reactions: cutlea01

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I change my 3 ltr Diesel oil by using the extraction tube (8mm tube fits over it I think), I put in 6 ltrs then check the oil level & usually end up putting 6.5 ltrs in & that is 2 notches down from max on the electronic dip stick. So that would equate to each notch being 0.25ltr as mention above. The oil filter is mounted on top of the engine under the engine cover too so the whole process is simples! :cool:
I haven't changed oil myself yet. Does the extraction pump take out everything? Or you need to drain from below as well?

Also, is it easy to change the fuel filter?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't changed oil myself yet. Does the extraction pump take out everything? Or you need to drain from below as well?

Also, is it easy to change the fuel filter?
I started doing my own servicing out of warranty. My extraction pump has a litres measurement so I am sure it takes almost all of the old oil out; btw Jaguar use this method in the dealerships.
On my mini I checked by undoing tbe sump plug & just a few drops came out.

The oil filter is under the engine cover & I think is a 36mm oil filter socket, undo 6 full turns & remove. Torque to 27nm. Similarly the air filters are easy to remove & replace using a Torx T20 screwdriver.

I take it to Jaguar to replace the cabin filter & fuel filter as they are more difficult to get to. 😎

1 - 14 of 14 Posts