Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 hours on the M5 I needed to refuel as had only 20 miles left, so called into my local petrol station. Started filling up as usual and then noticed a vapour (or steam) coming out of the fuel tank - with my family in the car I immediately stopped and replaced the cap. Had only put about 8 litres in. Spoke to my dealer the next morning and they called Jaguar Assistance out to inspect the car.
A very knowledgeable chap arrived and inspected the car. He explained that the vapour was due to the diesel being preheated before it gets to the engine and as I had just done 120 miles at motorway speeds the small amount of remaining fuel had become hot & when the cold diesel from the pump was added it had caused a vapour to come out of the tank (this wasn't my first thought at the time!)

He also said that this was quite common on the RRS, but was perfectly safe.

OK - seems reasonable so last night went to fill up again - this time had only covered 2 miles at 30mph so the tank should have been cold, but the same thing happened and vapour (looks like a boiling kettle) just poured out.

Anyone else had this issue and knows anything about it?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Going to need to refuel today so I will look out for it. My first refill since buying the car on Sep 2nd.

Also this is my first ever non petrol car.

Been saying "diesel diesel diesel" to myself all morning!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It didn't happen the first 3 times I filled up - just the last 2 times

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yep same on mine too! , my wife first discovered this on her new RRE Ingenium engined variant. JLR said it was not dangerous and normal, then went on to say the same thing you were told about hot cold fuel tank!! Still make not much sense to me... And you would think they might have said something along the lines of not to worry at handover, or better still designed this alarming occurance out. Would b a big issue if it were bloody petrol with that much vapour !!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yup always happens to me and did on both my XE's and XF - temperature difference between the tank and fuel. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Going to need to refuel today so I will look out for it. My first refill since buying the car on Sep 2nd.

Also this is my first ever non petrol car.

Been saying "diesel diesel diesel" to myself all morning!
First refill. !! I've filled up about 5 times.
Done 1200 miles :)

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Yes happens on mine, I assumed it was down to either the fuel tank at the petrol station being cold as its buried in the ground or it was the other way round, never worried about it, not likely to cause an issue.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I noticed a bit more vapour than I expected but just assumed it was flow and temperature variations. The difference in ambient temperature we have all experienced since May June isn't that great do whether vapour is visible or not it's still there. Diesel needs to be compressed to ignite and petrol a spark. The heat in a car car or fuel tank won't cause either fuel to ignite. You can spray fuel over a red hot engine it won't ignite. I should know!! A load of residual Petrol from the pump ejaculated over my motorbike, overvthe tank, ran all over the hot engine onto the floor!!!! I was waiting for the Woosh and inferno!!!! It just got a degrease instead!

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
CarlFRZ434 said:
I noticed a bit more vapour than I expected but just assumed it was flow and temperature variations. The difference in ambient temperature we have all experienced since May June isn't that great do whether vapour is visible or not it's still there. Diesel needs to be compressed to ignite and petrol a spark. The heat in a car car or fuel tank won't cause either fuel to ignite. You can spray fuel over a red hot engine it won't ignite. I should know!! A load of residual Petrol from the pump ejaculated over my motorbike, overvthe tank, ran all over the hot engine onto the floor!!!! I was waiting for the Woosh and inferno!!!! It just got a degrease instead!
For any fuel or anything flammable to ignite it has to reach its ideal mixture as it's known, all elements have ideal mixture explosive or combustible levels, once at this point they also act in many different ways, it is as you found very hard to ignite fuel.

If it was gases like nitrous or other gases like aceterlene (spelling sorry) then that's the time to worry.

There is a more in depth look on Wikipedia called Flammability limit that will explain the upper, lower and ideal mixture levels.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I believe brake fluid is biggest cause of car fires in a crash! If the system is split or the reservoir breaks off and the fluid spills onto hot engine parts flames are as likely as my wife spending £300 if she tried passing Monsoon or Joules!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts