Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

There are many reasons why you might choose to select a spare, space saver wheel as an option when ordering your F-pace. We've discussed this before somewhere and folk set out the various pros and cons.

However, here we are down the line a few months and some of us have had the misfortune of kerbing an alloy rim, esasier with those 22" versions.

Although some repairers may attempt to fix the kerbing and then respray the rim in situ, many won't. Often the wheel is removed from the car, sometimes for a few days. That has been our experience with our diamond cut silver / black alloys in our Volvo. Even the standard alloys on our son's Audi TT necessitated the car spending a day at the repairer's site.

In such circumstances the temporary spare is just what you want. It allows you to limp around for a few days until your alloy rim is ready for collection and you get a jack in with the bundle. Personally, at just over £60 for a good one, I am considering the purchase of a trolley jack as it's a whole lot safer and easier on your drive when you want to remove a wheel for detailing or full protection treatment before winter etc.

As I have said before, black wheels are harder for the repair folk and those rims with the plastuc gloss black inserts present another challenge (£15 each from Jaguar, removable with 3mm key from behind the wheel).

Of course, there are many other benefits to a temporary spare over a can of the squirty UHT cream stuff. Of course, lugging it around as dead weight everywhere you go isn't one of them!

Just thought I would post this one if it helps folk with their final order spec. They only cost about £150 extra.

Best wishes.

Arianne

·
Registered
922 Posts
Jaguar seem to like selling packs.... Here's an idea call it the space saver plus pack. Space saver spare with the jack and flat floor etc.. Plus a spare full size alloy of same fitted to the car to store if a repair is needed!,To keep the ability in case you are unfortunate and get a puncture when your wheel is being repaired!
Sorted. Can you get me a job on the marketing team CS Jaguar..... Getting a bit fed up with automotive engineering now anyway. Some one here will give me a reference........ :? Come on.... :shock: someone.... :cry: OK anyone :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ I might buy that pack!

Arianne

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I definitely think Jags Cat needs to be referred :lol: ;)

The only thing to add to Arianne's sensible comments are that if you have any type of spare you lose the ability to store the rear parcel shelf which is a bit dumb. On the Evoque it stored neatly to the back of the rear seats. On the FP the storage area is beneath the floor. But that disappears if you have either of the spare wheels.

What would be much better is the option for a retracting rear parcel shelf. I'm driving a loan Disco Sport with one and it's a better design IMO.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Thank you for those few kind words JLR :lol: :lol: think the retractable load cover would be best option..., just been reviewing the new civic and that has the retractable cover mounted to the side of the load bay, simply genius solution..... :idea: which also means you dont have to put your back out bending over,....or get dirty legs from a muddy bumper. That would also mean that Jaguar could keep the reclining elec rear seats too that not many on here have opted for!! Mind you Honda have probably put a patent on this if they have any sense.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A very informative post from Arianne.
My F-pace was delivered on 7th June and to date I have had only very minor problems which have been dealt with quickly and efficiently by my supplying dealer. However on delivery I found that the vehicle had a full size spare wheel instead of the space saver I had asked for. My dealer agreed to order the space saver, flat floor and ancillary parts to rectify their mistake. This took some time due to shortage of a suitable tyre but it was eventually carried out. As I felt that the £350 was a bargain price for a spare alloy and tyre I agreed to pay said sum to keep the full size spare and raised floor to use when I was in out of the way places in Scotland. My dealer loaded them into the vehicle do I could take them home. When I opened the boot I was surprised to see that the full size spare wheel occupied about half the boot space. I then concluded that in the event of getting a puncture and having to use the space saver there would be nowhere to put the full size punctured wheel if the boot was full of luggage or golfing gear. It will not fit in the space under a flat floor with the space saver securing system in place. I agree that JLR recovery is available but my experience of using them in Scotland usually takes hours. I now carry the full size spare at all times and as I purchased a boot space cover I no longer see the bump in the boot floor. I feel this is something anyone living in a rural area should consider when purchasing an F-pace. On another note I found the suspension rather firm both in Eco and dynamic mode while running on the original Pirelli P Zeros. Last week I had a set of Goodyear Winter tyres fitted and it is now a completely different vehicle to drive and sit in. The firmness has gone although the suspension is obviously the same so it it was all down to the tyres.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Interesting about the difference the winter tyres have made to the ride, DWD. Which rims did you spec with your FP? I'm wanting to get winter tyres for my 19" rims. The P-Zeros were not very impressive in the few inches of snow we suddenly had here last wednesday :(

Regarding spare wheels, I have the space-saver spare because I've never had a car yet without a spare in the boot and I just couldn't bring myself to go without having the option of something to get me out of a fix, if required. I hope I never have the need to use it, but it's an extra 'insurance', just in case.

When I was cleaning out the bootspace a week or two ago, I lifted the floor and I tried lifting the wheel out of the wheel-well and, I can tell you, even the space-saver is surprisingly heavy! :shock: I dread to think how heavy a full-size rim and tyre must be to handle in an emergency . . too much for lil' ol' me I would think :oops: ! So, if you ever need to use it, just watch out for giving yourself a slipped disc :eek: . . :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Catwoman,
I also have 19" rims and have fitted Goodyear Ultragrip PSVG1X for winter use. They are M and S but have the snowflake symbol. I did a bit of research and they came out with a good report and are rated B, B.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I remember the earlier thread about where one would store the full size wheel with the flat tyre after replacing it with the temporary spare.

In my circumstances that is not a deal-breaker. There are only three of us in this family and the big, long haul trips to The Alps are the journeys with all of our junk. But, in the event of a puncture on an autobahn hard shoulder at night, I would create the extra space needed by folding down the 60% rear seat and reformat the storage of the cases and skis / walking boots etc. It wouldn't be great but perfectly possible. I could then drive on to the resort and replace or repair the punctured tyre at a local garage or via delivery straight into our apartment via MyTyres.com

When in Scotland we do carry four or five passengers but then never with a boot full of junk or cases - the boot is almost empty.

To be fair, jacking up an F-pace at night at sub zero temperatures, while it's snowing with a stiff breeze, having unloaded the luggage first while Romanian articulated lorries thunder past on a German autobahn doesn't seem such a bright idea when you type it out on a post on this thread :roll: So, maybe I will just buy myself a can of the UHT squirty cream stuff from Halfords and have the choice depending upon the circumstances!

Okay, got that covered now!

Arianne

PS. During at least the last ten years I have never suffered a puncture during a journey. I have had only three flats, all discovered the next morning (slow puncture) and which were repaired by my local Volvo dealer by them inserting a rubber plug after having extracted the screw / nail etc.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I agree. I went without the spare but in reflection for £150 I'd have had it. I also didn't get a jack or brace so it's value and gives you another option.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I think I agree

·
Registered
78 Posts
DWD said:
Hi Catwoman,
I also have 19" rims and have fitted Goodyear Ultragrip PSVG1X for winter use. They are M and S but have the snowflake symbol. I did a bit of research and they came out with a good report and are rated B, B.
Just fitted a set of Wrangler HP All weather tyres yesterday to 19" rims. They are M+S rated . The car is less twitchy, feels way more sure footed on wet roads and I've already noticed that the rear wheels do not lose traction as they were on the standard Pirellis for example coming off those white painted mini roundabouts.

In fact I paid for the tyre guys to store the summer tyres as they'd only done 1000 miles, but I'm seriously thinking I might never put them back on.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shall we start a thread on tyres? Always a long running favourite on every car forum I have ever been a member of! I will let someone else have the honour....

Arianne

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My previous XF was supplied without a spare. I was lucky I got full kit from eBay for same price as the option. When speccing FPace, spare wheel was added.I just don't like the idea of being stuck in remote location with hole in tyre wall too big for the pump n gunk to fix. Once bitten twice shy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So if i've ordered a space saver spare wheel on mine - does the car come with a jack and spanner etc? Surely all cars do nowdays?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I too made this mistake.. Didn't realise you wouldn't get jack etc. Yes, if full luggage load, difficult to store full sized, but a small price to pay...

An interesting choice though... Which to leave at side of road..... small child or 22" Helix..... Mmmm...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
formbyjules said:
So if i've ordered a space saver spare wheel on mine - does the car come with a jack and spanner etc? Surely all cars do nowdays?
Yes this comes with the space save and presumably the full size spare too, but why would you need them with the pump and gunk stuff? Just squirt it in and then go buy a new tyre! (if you don't know this gloop almost certainly prevents any normal tyre repair, once you use it you are 99% to have to buy a new tyre. This too was part of the reason why I ordered the space saver spare.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.