Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Noticed uneven wear across the rear discs, some 30% on the outside edge not being 'used', compared with front discs, suspecting issue with caliper pistons? Anyone out there successfully progressed this fault under warranty? 2yr old 2.0D, X761. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I believe there is ongoing issues with brakes and newer SVRs. I have heard of a number of owners getting complete new brakes under warranty a number of times.I am sure a google search would throw something up.

·
Registered
649 Posts
This is very common, nothing to do with caliper pistons just poor quality discs, you can try to get them replaced under warranty but Jaguar are being very resistant to claims these days. If no luck with warranty claim use good quality aftermarket not OEM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, however I'm not sure I can subscribe to the problem being poor quality discs! If the pad was being pressured against the disc squarely and evenly then wear would be evident across the face of the disc wouldn't it? As it is on the front discs. Or are you suggesting that there's a difference in the quality between the rear and front discs?

·
Super Moderator
5,032 Posts
This seems to be an issue on many cars not only the Fpace, it appears that for some reason the pads do not wear flat or the discs are not flat or the manufactures of todays cars are using cheaper materials.

They all give a mileage warranty on these parts so worth checking with your dealer.

When replaced as mentioned avoid OEM parts as you could end up with the same issue again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a rear brake issue after two years and 8,000 miles only. (see forum topic: Corroded & worn rear brake discs + pads) Problem was corrosion leading to rapid pad wear and further disc wear such that after 10,000 miles a year later had no option but to replace before MOT. Very disappointing - had many cars from new but never experienced anything like it before. Main dealer advised replacement - not a warranty issue and quoted £700.
Found a reputable, quality independant - very helpful - fitted new discs+pads but not OEM - these are 'better quality' - cost <£400 including MOT.
Disc brakes on racing cars were pioneered by Jaguar at le Mans would you believe?

·
Registered
649 Posts
None of my Jags had brake disc problems so mine had good quality fitted from new, it's a quality control issue, suppliers are getting away with poor material.

·
Super Moderator
5,032 Posts
100% and the manufactures don't care as they are getting them cheaper meaning bigger profit, just a shame for a car of this cost that they would scrap on an important item like brakes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had two sets replaced under warranty (XF). It is poor quality discs, you can see the flaky effect on the outer part of the disc. Something to do with air getting trapped in the cooling process after moulding - bit like an aero bar. I've looked at loads in the dealers and would say around 70% have this problem yet not everyone notices. I went for EBC grooved and dimpled with yellow-stuff pads. Not a problem and miles better stopping power than OEM.

·
Registered
114 Posts
it doesn’t help that Jaguar doesn’t lubricate the sliders. I had my local garage strip clean and lubricate the brakes. This made a big difference to both braking feel and the amount unswept disk area.
Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts