Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm a new member on here, looking forward to hearing your views on our amazing cars.

I recently traded my XF for a metallic Green 2.0ltr AWD Portfolio F Pace.

On one journey, I was surprised to find that the rear Brakes started to give an intermittent knocking feedback through the foot pedal. I knew it wasn't the front brakes as the steering wasn't affected on braking.

I took the car into Inchcape at Preston, and they reported that the rear pads and discs were 75% worn after 4000 miles. The discs and pads were changed under warranty.

My question to this forum :
Is this considered 'normal' for this vehicle?
My XF had the same work done, but after 20,000 miles.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd say not normal, my 2.0d 240ps R-sport has done 34,000 miles and brakes are only now starting to show signs of heavy wear. I do however do mostly motorway driving well about 80% of it is. I'm trading mine in at the end of June so don't want to be doing anything with the brakes. Good that they were replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I would say abnormal Greenpacer. I have 11k on mine since new and no sign of brake wear at 1st annual service beyond what you would expect. All taken care of under warranty so you have you answer there but I wonder what the cause was?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a new F Pace 3.0d in February 2019.
Two weeks ago I noticed I grinding noise from my rear brakes, and immediately
booked my vehicle in for inspection, I was I for ed on the same day that all four
wheels required to have new breaks.( my vehicle has only done 7500 miles).
The Jaguar dealership also in formed me that this would not be covered under
the warranty? After several discussions and emails Jaguar agreed to pay half
the cost of the replacement brakes ie.£583 (full cost£1166). Yesterday I informed
Jaguar that this was not acceptable and I collect my vehicle from the dealership and
have arranged for an independent garage to carry out the replacement brakes.
SO F.PACE BUYERS BE AWARE.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Shocking support from JLR. You may find you get better quality equipment fitted at a far better price by going elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Did they explain why this wasn't a warranty item after such low mileage? Unbelievable really.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jaguar Swansea said this was wear and tear! I beg to differ, I am not what you would call a boy racer! but a 68 year old pensioner!
I do intend to pursue this matter further and to hopefully make other Jaguar F Pace current and future owners aware of the brake
Issue.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Something not right there. Saw I posted earlier in this thread at 1 year and 11,000 miles. Now its 2 years and 20,000 miles and at second service brakes are 30% worn. Normal mix of road types and speeds.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Just checking through documentation I have 18,700 miles with 11mm remaining on front pads and 10 to 11mm remaining on rear pads.

·
Registered
117 Posts
March this year my vehicle had it's 3 yearly service at 33k miles (getting my money's worth from the 5 year service plan)
They have reported on my brake wear.
Front are only 80% worn technically that should give me 165k miles on these pads hoho.
But the rear are 60% worn and blaming pitted disks, are these covered under warranty ?? NO was Jaguar's reply.
Dealer has quoted £555.97 to replace the rear only. Fixed pricing on the Jaguar Webb site is £425.00.
What is this a dealer price for the unsuspecting driver.
My main question is there an imbalance in the vehicle braking that they should be investigating. ??

You can get all 4 discs & pads replaced via the Jaguar Webb site for £900.
Why are dealerships asking more to do a fixed price service item you can book on the Webb site. Jaguar should be looking into this as well. Ripping of customers like this.

Same as tyres Jaguar say they will match local same tyre quotes but I went to 3 dealerships who all refused to comply as they cannot buy tyres at the National tyre price.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think that imbalance you referring to is infact not a fault or it can be but this can be a reason behind that imbalance wear.
These cars have Torque vectoring which apply breaks to wheels individually and we as driver don't know when it happened.
But it should only happen if you are driving like a boy racer to be honest and doing lots of cornering and unleashing the full potential of car :D

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry not a boy racer (but was in mini times) now 72 years old.
I get 40-50 mpg on most trips best 68mpg. But I do not hang around, nobody passes me.

At 33k miles with 20% wear on the front and 80% wear on the back. I asked the service manager and his response was, it's the floor plan that the F-Pace was developed from, it had the rear braking harder than the front and they did not adjust for the heavier front end breaking required on the F-Pace. But that could be his fob-off from the Jaguar black book they all seen to have to get rid of you rather than admit to a fault they have given me over the last 3 years for the annoying faults.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My car has also given me too many problems to be honest and I have started to live with it.
Since day 1 only issues after issues. Body panels alignment/ rear doors corrosion/ water pump / in winter break screeching
Mine is booked for radiator fan running at full speed on Wednesday, 9 months back the same issue was due to water pump now it's back let's see.
As my car has been to dealer several times either repair or service the last I remember in 2019 November the report of health check up said 10% all round for the discs. Now I am at 18k miles.
Considering this I am guessing I would be good for another 20k, maybe then I have to get break replacement done but it would be time to say goodbye to F Pace maybe forever.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll keep you posted.
UPDATE.

GUESS WHAT? The car recently went in for a service at 23000 miles on the clock. One of the front discs was flagged for excessive corrosion and excessive pad wear. This was outside of the guarantee period.
After discussing the issue and complaining about the possibility of sub standard materials being used for the discs, Jaguar replaced the front discs and pads with new and free of charge.
This would have cost me £817 if the work was to be charged to me.
Really not happy that JLR are not recalling their cars for known issues with things like sub standard brake materials.

If you're having issues like mine, get the car checked and complain. This forum is evidence enough to prove that there is a valid issue with premature brake disc corrosion.

Summary : all four corners of the car have had their brake pads and discs replaced at such low mileages.

·
Read Only
88 Posts
My f pace s goes in for service mid December. My19 model with 10,800 on the clock. I’m expecting them to say pads/discs need replacing. They don’t need any attention at all. Service departments are just a profit centre for dealerships!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jaguar Swansea said this was wear and tear! I beg to differ, I am not what you would call a boy racer! but a 68 year old pensioner!
I do intend to pursue this matter further and to hopefully make other Jaguar F Pace current and future owners aware of the brake
Issue.
Did you manage to get JLR to agree to resolving the disc and pad issue? Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts