Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i compare the figures from the My Jaguar InControl trips against the real consumption i notice it is a little bit optimistic.

The real consumption for a 730 km trip was 39,12 mpg - 7,22 l/100 km while the displayed consumption was 42,41 mpg - 6,66 l/100km.

This seems a standard deviation. All my previous cars had +/- the same optimistic values.

Never did see one where the displayed value was worse than the actual. Strange :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone else already calculated their actual fuel usage in comparison with the displayed?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Your second line is incorrect, but I assume you are saying the car computer is under reading?

Never had a car do that before the FP has not changed that, FP computer always shows 4mpg more than I am actually getting, it is the manufacturers code, short of doing a VW, the easiest way to increase mpg on a car is accidently make the on board computer over read

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
F-Pace S said:
Your second line is incorrect, but I assume you are saying the car computer is under reading?

Never had a car do that before the FP has not changed that, FP computer always shows 4mpg more than I am actually getting, it is the manufacturers code, short of doing a VW, the easiest way to increase mpg on a car is accidently make the on board computer over read
You are right, changed it in the post.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I wasn't impressed with my car economy so I did the miles to full tank refill check, the computer came out within 0.5mpg. So I wasn't really happy but at least the car was giving fairly good values. Since then my car has improved a small amount, I think now after 2,500 miles plus, the engine is getting better, loser and actually quieter.

Was concerned about the 2.0d and just 180bhp, but in 5 months I've decided its a good combo for me, don't need the grunt from the 3.0.

Anyway car is now averaging just over 40mpg. Never goes very high but also not much below, pretty good for a big car.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Land Rover have been doing this for years... Originally 15% over stating it and in more recently 10%...

Up to now, and I've had 5 Jags before the F Pace (Actually, I currently own 3, but that's beside the point...) Jaguar have always been spot on....

Easiest way to check is look at the 'Range'.... This is always accurate, even in Land Rovers - approx 13 gallons x av mpg should be a quick comparison.

Mine looks pretty accurate so far, but too early to tell.

Most owners of these 'Premium' cars won't bother to check, but they daren't make the range equate to the fabricated mpg as everyone would run out of fuel!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I do agree the range is pretty accurate Corrie

PS Redonebe, you said it was under reading, but your updated post now says it is over reading?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
F-Pace S said:
PS Redonebe, you said it was under reading, but your updated post now says it is over reading?
Sorry , not my native language but when the car displays less is that under reading?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
redonebe said:
F-Pace S said:
Sorry , not my native language but when the car displays less is that under reading?
Ah all understood, apologies, and you are right that is unusual :lol:

"The displayed consumption for a 730 km trip was 39,12 mpg - 7,22 l/100 km while the real consumption was 42,41 mpg - 6,66 l/100km."

·
Registered
654 Posts
Just to confirm MPG for my own interest I did a fuel used check today, computer recorded 43.9 MPG average speed 66mph, so it was a brisk trip
Fuel actually used 40MPG so the cynical owners amongst us are correct the computer has got a optimistic bias

·
Registered
345 Posts
I read this and had a thought.

People are claiming that that the mpg of the vehicle console is higher than user calculated values and by approximately 10%. I wonder if this is due to car speedometers being tuned to read at 10% faster mph than they are actually doing, therefore the car computer believes it has traveled 10% further in that time than it actually has, equating to 10% improved mpg.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have found with the 3 Jags (including the current FP) I have owned they all indicated a speed of about 3 mph above that indicated by the TomTom SatNavs I had at the time, this is at all speeds above and including 30 mph.

I would expect the TomTom (or any other) SatNav to be quite accurate at measuring speed as an average figure over time given the accuracy of the time signals available from GPS (Caesium based) signals and that they have to measure distance quite accurately to predict corners, junctions, which road one is on, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

The trip computer can show instant and average fuel consumption.
It is obvious that the instant consumption sometimes looks like incorrect but it isn't.

Many factors affect fuel consumption such as, the engine condition, the driving behaviour,
instant acceleration, the tire inflation pressure, weight and more....

To calculate with relative certainty the average fuel consumption must:
Firstly, you have to wait to empty the tank.
You then need to fill the tank.
Once the tank is empty again will compare the actual average consumption that gives you the trip computer.
You could see online route consumption, if you used this tool.

All have an expectation that our car to be more economical than other cars.
But the manufacturer has different opinion.....

·
Registered
492 Posts
Never empty tank!!!!!!

All you need to do is fill tank fully to neck, then fill tank again and check mileage, easy.

its a little more accurate than on board computer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts