Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone actually used the Progress Control System? I have been meaning to try it ever since I got the car and today tried it up and down the drive. I can fully understand how useful the ASPC descent control mode could be, I have used the hill descent on Land Rover products many times and it is very impressive, though I must admit this has only been on off-road sessions run by LR in their own vehicles, never on my own.
But why would you want to use the ASPC full function mode where it drives at a set speed, trying it around the drive I want to go slower around the bend around the house and then faster on the straight, not at a constant speed, particularly in reverse. So if it was snowy I would put the driving mode into Rain/Ice/snow, which would make it easier to move off slowly, and then use the throttle/brakes normally.
I also found it quite complicated to setup, partly I think because I don't actually use the speedo to judge the speed at which I wish to manoeuvre in the drive, or other tight manoeuvre situations, but just go by what feels right, so have no idea what to set it up as. Having used the + button to setup and released my foot off the brake then seems to make the car start more rapidly than I would normally, in a restricted space, to reach this set speed, then just cause panic when it doesn't realise there is a bend! It is not like using the cruise control, I am well aware of what speed I drive on the motorway, because I spend a lot of my time watching the speedo, so that my speed does not increase above what I think I should travel at, mainly for legal reasons.

I can't see why JLR didn't just fit a hill descent button, am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've been waiting for bad weather to try this too. What speed did you set? I live on a hill and I was hoping this would get my car onto my drive (which is about a 1 in 4 slope... not fun in winter). I had planned on a stupid slow speed maybe 2mph (if so low is at all possible) in reverse and then hope the clever stuff would get the car up it and I just stop it when in position.

Maybe I should do a dry run after your experiences...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
cedzz said:
... trying it around the drive I want to go slower around the bend around the house and then faster on the straight, .....
Anybody else curious to see pictures of cedzz's Mansion? ;)
I once had a dream of owning a house with a massive crunchy drive but ended up in something more modest - grateful now as I enjoy gardening but not if it becomes my life or I have to fork out for a gardener :?

We tried the technology at the Jaguar Art of Performance where you went up a steep ramp, over the brow and down the other side. I thought it was good for a steep ascent as I set the speed very low and it just crept up the incline perfectly - I am unsure if, in a similar scenario, my right foot would be as reliable and consistent. For that event the technology was impressive and the hill descent equally so.

But, I have been driving SUVs since 2006, I have been down some pretty rugged farm tracks, steep hills and I have never done anything so extreme that I would deploy this type of technology TBH.

Nice to have it though!

Arianne

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anybody else curious to see pictures of cedzz's Mansion?/quote]
Bit of confusion here! Drive not that big, it is just we park behind the house, near the hedge, so have to drive the length of house, plus a bit, and then sharp turn between house and hedge down to the road. On the other hand it is exactly where help manoeuvring in ice/snow is useful, my last rear wheel drive car, an XF, spent a week marooned there a few winters ago, once out on the road normally fine. Testing the Progress Control system on the busy narrow roads at 5 mph was not really a safe option, so the drive had to suffice.

I take it from the complete lack of response from anyone saying they found this option useful means it hasn't seen a lot of use. Perhaps when someone has been to the Alps for a ski trip they might be able to say it was useful.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have tried the system like you as the exit to my drive is slighty up hill and I have to do a sharp left followed by a sharp right and in the snow without chains my XJ and XF just sat with wheels spinning or slid towards tbe low wall my last neighbour helpfully erected along the property line.

I have only had one attempt at using the progress control system as that was all the time I had, and the speed I set was too fast for comfortable maneuvering, can't remember what actual speed I set but it was close to the minimum. I will have another go at the minimum speed when I get the time.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that as the quality of the cars I could afford has gone up, the width of the tyres have also increased and the resultant affect on snow driving has been ever decreasing amounts of grip. My first car, a 1963 VW Beatle 1200 had wheels little wider than a modern mountain bike and as I was living in north west Germany at the time snow (feet of the stuff) was something that was quite common in the winter and I had no issues using the same tyres all year round as they were skinny enough to bite through the snow. Years later in the same area with nice fat tyres the car I had at the time (Mazda 626) had relatively poor grip in the snow with its much fatter tyres.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts