Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spec isn't at lock-down yet, so to pass the time I'm still tinkering around with what I really want for my car.
A small example, Privacy Glass has been my 'default position', in so far as I have just included it in the spec without much thought.

That is, until I saw some nice pictures of an Ammonite without it, while still having the black pack . .
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-jaguar-f-pace-first-drive-review-practical-sports-car/#2017-jaguar-f-pace-first-edition-side-profile
. . . that's not too shabby looking is it, so it's got me thinking, do I really need the Privacy Glass?, could it maybe actually look better without it?

Well, cost isn't an issue, it's definitely not a deal-breaker either way, but I admit I am warming to the looks of this one without.
Anyone else got an opinion on which is the way to go?

Someone help me decide..

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think that pic looks great.

I don't like privacy glass because it does not include the driver/passenger window so looks forestalled somehow. To me, it is a "trend" (all be it a long standing one) and as a contrarian I therefore don't include it as an option.

I gave serious consideration to it, because of the pooches, but then I read an article that said the heat gain inside the car was greater.

Privacy glass is akin to colour in that it is a very personal choice, so at the end of the day only you can decide. Shame it's so cheap because then, perhaps, the decision would be easier

·
Registered
166 Posts
Picture that ammonite FP with Privacy glass and I bet you would think it looks even better!

For me, i had a white XF without pg and a neighbour had the same spec as me but with pg. have to admit I was jealous.

Very much a personal decision.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
For me I went with it as I thought it may help with the kids and protect a bit from sun and give some added privacy for them .
All my cars so far haven't had privacy glass and haven't missed it at all so,let's see how this goes.

Could do without quite easily to be honest.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Think we have been down this path on the forum before :cool: and all the technical science of solar heat gain etc vs air con and about the effectiveness of priv glass when the pano roof is specified :ugeek: I have had this option on nearly every new car we've had... Right up to this one, maybe I just got old or no kids in the back anymore or think it has had its time, something changed... or I did :roll:
Again I defer to the others on the forum, it is a pesosnal choice and yours to make! I do agree that the car looks stunning in this combo, but then I would as its what I have choosen without the priv glass too! ..happy shopping :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Another thought Catwoman, this may be purrfect for you but it does depend somewhat on why you may want the privacy glass, but I have ordered the blinds.

I have bought them to protect my girls (dogs) as and when needed. Also, if you close one eye and squint they kinda look like privacy glass. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your thoughts gentlemen, they're much appreciated.

Quite honestly, I have no reason to specify PG (or not) for anything other than it's aesthetics. I do agree that it tends to cut the car in half, visually, maybe spoiling the beautiful flowing lines somewhat. And I take your point about for when you're transporting your dogs, Catalyst, I think blinds are indeed a better solution for shading them if they're going to be in the car for any extended time. Good call. My dogs love to travel by car, so I will definitely bear that in mind.

I doubt I'll ever be anywhere other than the driving seat of this motor, and I don't cart kids about, so no need for consideration on that level.

So, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards going without dark glass. I've found almost every choice of option quite difficult to make (it'd just be much easier if I didn't have the choice!), but it's really quite amusing how it's the little things that make you really start to obsess! :roll:

G

·
Hello

Privacy glass for me ... looks great, these options can not be retro fitted afterwards that easily

tick that option box .. privacy glass you will not regret it :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
Kaspa said:
Hello

Privacy glass for me ... looks great, these options can not be retro fitted afterwards that easily

tick that option box .. privacy glass you will not regret it :D
The privacy glass can be fitted afterwards my dealership told me, it's s film coating that is applied ... The factory fired is pre stained glass admittedly but he says the film coating is just as good and if you get scratches which can be seen in the glass you remove the film and put a new piece on (professionally of course) cheaper than trying to replace the glass
It's a bit like having a protective screen on your smart phone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts