Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I collected my "new" F-Pace last week - a 2017 3.0D S with 45000 miles on it. It has Adaptive suspension, 22"'s and Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season tyres (with decent tread all round).

Around town I find the handling fine, but have used it twice on the motorway since and during these drives I've found the handling to be very un-Jaguar like and the back end very twitchy / bordering on dangerous. I drove about 250 miles yesterday, mostly motorway, and a lot of the time the ride was fine, but then all of a sudden (on a very flat section of motorway) the back end would start "wobbling", the kids heads in the back would be swaying, and the car almost felt like it had rear wheel steering. It didn't seem to matter if I was doing 60 or 75 on the motorway, there would be no warning.

After the first instance the other day, I checked all the tyres pressures and they were 38/39psi, I then reduced them down to 34psi (and had the TPMS in light load) before yesterday's drive but had the same handling traits. Having the adaptive suspension in Dynamic didn't seem to make any difference to the wayward handling (although I can tell the difference between settings).

I've had other big SUV's with large wheels before, and apart from a crashy ride at slow speeds, none have had the loose / wobbly feeling that this F-Pace does. My wife has commented that she would not drive the car if it handles this way, so I'm a bit lost for what to do?

Note: I've read through these forum threads which seem similar, but none seem to have any conclusive answers.
https://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5363
https://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1866

·
Registered
623 Posts
The FPace should handle very well with a rather firm ride. Take it back to the dealer you bought it from, if that's not possible take it to any MOT test station and they will tell you very quickly what is wrong, it could be anything worn or loose, even if they charge the full MOT fee it's a cheap independant check up.

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
As mentioned this should not be happening, it could be worn bushes or something loose, best to get it checked out for peace of mind.

·
Registered
39 Posts
what is the date on the tyres? any sign of dry rot?

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
Keep us all posted on what they find or say.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Seems very odd! Hope the dealer can work it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the car back from the local garage, and they've said that the bushes in the passenger rear lower control arm have gone, they basically aren't doing anything. Hence the feeling it's got rear wheel steering!!

Have been in touch with the supplying dealer, who are having it back next week to replace the part.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Glad you got an answer to the poor handling, is it me or does there appear to be a lot of surface corrosion there, do you live or has the car spent its time near the coast?
I hope this resolves your issue and gives you the ride this car should provide.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Glad the cause was found quickly, a local MOT tester is good for finding faults I took our old Defender that was steering badly, the front wheel bearings were about to collapse!.

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
Glad you have found the issue was bushes.

Now let us know how it feels once changed and if the issue goes away.

On a side not not a great advert for JLR bushes to be worn at 4 years old I must add.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a quick update on this, the failed arm has been replaced and the handling is now how I'd expect it to be :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts