Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys,

Been looking at the forum for the last few months but this is my first post. I picked up my new F pace yesterday and well, it's not been a good start.

The car was sat at the dealer for a week before I picked it up as my sales rep was on leave. On the same day as it was delivered to the garage, I went and saw the car on their lots as I was in the area. Noticed the bonnet alignment was way off where it met the front bumper/headlight area. Told the other sales rep who was in the garage at the time and sent an email to my rep asking this be sorted before pick up. So at 17:30 the day before pick up (9 days after i sent the email), got a phone call asking to delay the pick up by a day as they were not sure if they could sort it in time. I refused as I had already made plans to be in the area (which is over an hours drive from my house). So got there at the the original pre-arranged time and just carried out all the paperwork as the bonnet was still not done. Went away for a couple of hours to give them time to sort the bonnet. Upon my return i was told it was done... nope still as bad as when I first saw it.

Decided the best thing was to just do the handover with the rest of the car and get the bonnet sorted on another day. The rep started showing me how to use the various systems which was going well until he tried to bring up the navigation, No maps had been loaded! So another 30 min delay whilst this was sorted. By this time it was pitch black and freezing so I could not get a good look around the car. So I just decided to sign off the last of paperwork and take the car.

On the drive home whilst going around a sharpish left hand corner at a reasonable speed, the car just suddenly under-steered like hell. Managed to keep it on the road with a bit of opposite lock but the strange thing is the car never seemed to try and counteract the under steer and no lights flashed up on the dash. So with my hart in my mouth and a stain in my pants, I just continued on home thinking it was just a bit of oil or something on the road surface.

To get to my house I have to basically do a 180 deg turn back on my self to get off the main road and on to my private road. This turn is also on a fairly steep downward hill. So whilst on full right hand lock at crawling speed in order to make the turn, the car began juddering and a strong smell of burning oil flooded the cabin. The juddering felt as if one of the front wheels was skipping. Today whilst just pulling up to my house, i turned the car 90 deg to the left at about 10 mph and it just went straight on towards a rather large drop.... car now owes me two pairs of pants. :shock: :D

I've not got under the car yet as its been raining all day but I suspect that there is a problem with the front diff. I remember seeing a couple of people say that have had oil leaks on the diff?

On top of that I have the issues with the front and rear parking sensors that have been mentioned on here along with some other door and panel alignment issues. There are also some loose washers sat between the front grill and rad that need fishing out. :roll:

I contacted my sale rep with the issues today and within two hours the service manger was on the phone to discuss the issues and asking me to bring the car in tomorrow to go over the issues with him and the master technician.

Very happy that the are on the ball with attempting to address the issues despite trying to fob me off slightly by claiming the issues may not be issues and that they have never heard of these issues before. This may be true but seeing as they are well documented issues on here, I'm very surprised by it. Should be interesting going over the issues with them tomorrow, they don't know I am a mechanical engineer by trade and build kit cars in my spare time. Should be fun seeing what BS they try and fob me off with :roll: :lol: They also stated that their courtesy cars are Ford Fiesta's !!!! Not a chance i'm excepting a £15k car in lieu of of £50k SUV. How does a JLR dealer not have JLR cars in their courtesy fleet? :?

Not too worried about the parking sensors as I knew this could be an issue before I purchased the vehicle, and i'm sure a fix will be rolled eventually. Also the alignment is an easy fix. Just hope the suspected diff is not a big issue. I certainly do not feel safe driving it right now.

Not had an issues with the ICTP yet but i've not played with it extensively yet. The 3g seems ok and only drops out at the same time as my phone due to living in an area with poor coverage. So it does look like Jag are getting on top of the ICTP :)

I'm looking forward to the diff issues being resolved so I can enjoy the great handling of this beast. We have some snow up here so hopefully get it sorted soon so I go play in the snow too. :twisted: Was going to take a pic of the car but it's already filthy after less than 50 miles. Can't wait to see the dealers face when i turn up in a car that already looks like it has just completed a rally.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum, but very sorry to hear of your shoddy pick up experience, commiserations!!! . . from what you've already described I'm not sure I'd even be happy driving it another 50 miles back to your dealers . . it sounds unsafe if it can't take a corner with confidence. :(

Keep us posted with how the dealer responds to this . . clearly not a properly prep'd car! . . and you're right about the courtesy car too, it should be at least as good as the car you've just shelled out your good money for!!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Hey Brownie. How terribly disappointing for you and for all of us too to learn that Jaguar are still delivering cars with these issues after 8 months and the dealers are still doing the "never seen this before" routine. I have no idea what is considered as a standard PDI but it's just not good enough.

Sounds like you are a remarkably cool calm and collected person. I hope it all gets sorted very quickly. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not sure why you'd want to put opposite lock on to get around a corner if your car was understeering??

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Oh dear thats not a good start, as mentioned i would be very careful in case there is more of an issue with the car then you know about, i certainly would be taking it easy to the dealer and i would also be ensuring they have a car for you and you do not turn up and find no loan car as i am sure they are going to need to keep it.

Keep us posted and fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Growler said:
Not sure why you'd want to put opposite lock on to get around a corner if your car was understeering??
As that's how you cure under-steer. A quick application of opposite lock followed by turning the wheel back to the original direction. Whereas to cure over-steer, you apply OL for as long as it takes to straighten the car out.

Has anyone pushed their car hard enough to get the all of the car auto systems kick in such as torque vectoring etc? Was it noticeable and did you get any symbols flash up to indicate it was operating?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the concern guys, I will certainly be taking the A route to the dealers instead of the grin inducing B roads I normally take.

I cant get too worked up at the sales rep or service manager as the lack of prep is down to the service department. The sales rep was raging when he found out the maps were not loaded. The service manager was also very apologetic. I'm willing to keep an open mind and as long as they deal with the issues efficiently i'll be happy. I understand mistakes happen and things slip the net. As long as people admit to the errors, don't try and bull **** me and do their best to rectify the fault that's all I ask. I've certainly made a few mistakes. I once wrote off an aircraft nose undercarrige costing £100K :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that's my Portfoilo rejected. Car has been dropped off with the dealer, just waiting on the finance company and Jag sorting out their side. The dealer has been fantastic about it all to be fair to them. I rejected the car in 30 day period so not much they could do about it even if they wanted to.

The full fault list at the time of rejecting is as folows:
• Car intermittently fails to lock/unlock using (keyless entry)
• CD player intermittently fails to operate,
• Radio intermittently fails to operate,
• Infotainment screen intermittently crashes
• Rear parking sensor constantly indicates an object when none is present
• Lane departure warning intermittently fails to operate )only picks p road lines approx 20% of time)
• Voice control intermittently fails to operate (nothing happens when the button is pressed)
• Navigation street view fails to operate at end of planned route
• Fumes in cabin when on full lock, (burnt oil smell)
• Car has under-steered 3 times, twice at walking speed in good weather. All 3 times were when turning left. It felt like the outer wheel locks up
• Excessive road noise compared to demo car (approx. 7 DB higher)
Buzzing noise from vents above touch screen.

I also had boot, door and bonnet panel issues but these were fixed with a trip to the body shop. The garage had the car on two occasions to look at the issues but did not mange to fix any of them. They carried out a software update and replaced a link cable in the back of the car in an attempt to fix the infotainment issues but it just made it worse. Bearing in mind i took delivery of the car on 21st Dec, and was told the car has the latest and greatest software installed it looks like the 2.5 upgrade or enhancement program as they like to call it is not being installed by default. Probably as they know it causes issue on some vehicles.

The garage had the car for 12 days in my 30 days of ownership but they did manage to give me an F pace as a loaner, albeit a basic spec one. I could have lived with the ICTP issues in the knowledge they eventually they would get sorted but the under-steer and fume issues just left me without any confidence in the car. My wife and 4 yr old use the car so I was not willing to risk the car under-steering at speed with them in it.

I did consider walking away from the brand and went as far as testing an XC90 but the F pace has me hook line and sinker, nothing else compares to its looks and handling (when its not trying to kill me that is :))

On a side note, has anyone driven in an XC90? The road noise is unbelievable! I went on line to research it thinking maybe the demo car had issues. Nope, its a well known issues, so much so that the relevant thread is 100 pages long! Super comfy seats and brilliant infotainment system though. The voice control even allows you to control the climate control.

So i've decided to roll the dice one more time and placed an order for a replacement F pace. I have changed the spec a bit this time though. Changed to an R sport as the portfolio seats just don't support you enough during fast cornering. It feels like you are sat on them rather than in them like the R Sport. Its not too bad for the driver as you have hold of the wheel but the passenger get thrown around a fair bit. I've also gone for led headlights and the 810w system. The Xeons were fine but just like the added features of the LED's. I found the 300W system to be a bit lacking in the depth department and also did not realize at the time of ordering it was not surround sound. When we spec'd the portfolio we went for ammo but changed our minds to IRR. Unfortunately our build date jumped forward by a month so were were unable to change the colour. So this time when have gone IRR from the off. Not bothered with the keyless entry or adaptive dynamics this time. Given our experience with the keyless it just wasn't worth the £800 gamble. I also found we never used the adaptive as it annoyed me that dynamic mode changes the dash and interior lighting. Why give us the option of a configurable dash and mood lighting only to take that way from us when in dynamic. Also found the adaptive suspension to be hard in normal mode compared to the steel spring demo.

As the dealer was a bit nervous about ordering me another car we are going to put it on trade plates for a couple of days first. They stopped short of calling me a high maintenance customer but due to my background, they soon found out they could not fob me of with technical BS they may have got away with with someone else. Got the impression my old car willbe cleaned and thrown straight on the forecourt.

Not got a build date yet but they are going to see if they can shuffle around the build slots to see if they can get one before April. Failing that they are going to cover the extra cost of the VED for 3 years if its delivered after April. I got £2K off my portfolio but not sure what i'm getting off the R sport, they just said I would get it for cost price i.e with no mark up. Waiting to see what they come back with as they cant possibly be considering making no profit on it?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Will you get the car before end March? If not, I assume you've got your dealer to cover the extra tax you'll have to pay from years 2 to 6 (assuming the car is over £40k)?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Matteus F-Pace said:
Will you get the car before end March? If not, I assume you've got your dealer to cover the extra tax you'll have to pay from years 2 to 6 (assuming the car is over £40k)?
Yes, they have agreed to cover the additional tax if delivered after April. Still waiting on a build date but I think it will prob be on a 17 plate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought it was time for an update. I went ahead with ordering the replacement car after getting all of my money back from Jag and black horse finance (plus 8% interest and an additional £400 for inconvenience/costs occurred). They gave me the same discount as I had on the original car and will pay me the VED difference up front on delivery. Despite the dealer pushing to get an early build slot, it never materialized. I'm scheduled to take delivery this week but this may not happen as the car is subject to the fuel line campaign on Topix so we will see. I was in the area of the dealer on Friday so popped in just to have a quick look around the car despite it not being ready yet. The car has not gone through PDI yet but what was massively obvious is the difference in panel gaps compared to the rejected car. The new cars panel gaps are extremely consistent all over. The last car was not that good even after two days in the body shop! I'm looking forward to driving it on the trade plates and hoping that she is issues free. That said, the ICTP on the last was was fine on delivery and seem to gradually self destruct over the following two weeks. I've been in an XF loaner with ICT since rejection and boy do I miss the F pace and ICTP! Fingers crossed for me this week guys as I really want it to work out this time as its such a great car when it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.