1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

My car has arrived at the dealer.

Really please with the way it looks

Walking back from the compound the sales manager suggested that I may wish to pick it up next week

I had planned for a "66" plate pick up on 1st September

He has offered a free service pack for the car to pick it up next week.....

Very torn now...better resale with new plate? Take the pack and car next week? Squeeze for alloy and tyre insurance? Squeeze for more?

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
First of all - Nice - I know black (is that black or ultimate?) with black wheels and black pack is pretty unpopular.
Most people will say black doesn't show lines and in a recent poll it trailed way behind as a colour

Now secondly how much extra resale do,you really get by the new but same year plate ? I'm not sure it's a huge amount

So weigh up the actual real value against what you get now. 5 weeks of sun to drive around in.
A service pack ? Is that the petrol or diesel so it's at least £599 is it ? So you've got £600 right there

For me no brainier her the bloody thing - take the service pack and enjoy, many dealers are giving Nothign away so I think that's fair enough. Mine was meant to be built last week but it missed its slot and now factory is shut down so now I may get it end of August. If it arrives 22nd August would I wait 1 week or go for new Reg ? Must admit I not sure what I'd do even with no incentives

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
In fact apart from the seats that's what my car will look like and I've looked at it about 5 times already

·
Registered
948 Posts
From what I've experienced trading in and selling private plate doesn't matter as much as mileage, you will get more for a month older car with lower miles than a month newer with more miles.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
No you should have had a look as it's absolutely the right thing to do. Free service pack as well saves you a few quid down the line so get yourself in that bad boy and have some fun.
Do me a favour and put some pics up once all prepared and polished - be nice to see another ultimate black !

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was in The same dilemma but when I got the call to say it was at the dealers all I could say is how soon can you have it ready! With a service pack thrown in aswell I would snap their hand off - everyone is right about the smile factor - it is a proper sports car and I haven't even been on a decent run out yet - can't wait u til tomorrow :D

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Although I would love the new plate, my past experience is this....it makes sod all difference! The plate system is now so complicated, unless you are a car person, none knows what age a car is, and even though the dealers know, it is the same old thing come resale back to them - it makes no difference, you got hardly anything more for all the options you specified that were "must haves" told to you by the dealer for resale!!!

So I say, got for it, enjoy the summer, and the service pack is simply a bonus, which in my case I would use to buy a personal plate

·
Registered
41 Posts
With that offer, I would pick it up. We are six weeks away from the September plate. I think people are less fussy now that there are two plates per year and the £500 offer is fair, but try to get the 75K miles version so that you are covered and some rubber boot mat. Worth a try as they will want to register its ASAP. They get a kick back from Jaguar if they hit their numbers, so it's got to be worth £1,000 to them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The 5 year service plan is a bargain.... if you are going to keep it 4-5 years, if not, less so. I agree with other posters that the year is more important now than the reg number for re-sale. So if you are planning to keep it for no more than 3 years I would wait for the 66 plate or get a better deal on other accessories (assuming you actually need any of them).

Nothing worse than having the new plate for 5 weeks and then it's already 'old' when everyone is driving around in their 'brand new' cars on the 1st Sept. You could stick a private plate on it but whilst these use to be for the well off, most people realise that the majority use them to hide the cars real age.
The 66 plate on the 1st Sept is a vanity thing but at the end of the day if you choose that option you will enjoy that vanity for a full 6 months but it will still be 'old' in 6 months time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Ruski said:
Nothing worse than having the new plate for 5 weeks and then it's already 'old'
Really? Nothing at all?
Lots but we're talking about waiting 5 weeks for a 66 plate or not :?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Back to the original point. A delivery of 1st Sept on a 66 plate for a blinging car is obviously a big attraction for you otherwise you would not have started this post. But it's sitting there growling, take me, take me! The FP is very rare on the roads and still will be in 5-6 weeks time. Assuming you won't add a dateless plate and you do take any freebies you can get, how will you feel when you see 66 plates pass you by in a few weeks?
If you feel you won't be bothered because you have got yours earlier, in what remains of the summer, along with some freebies then take it now; however if you think, 'I really just should have waited that little bit longer for that 66 plate, then wait!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts