Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 2017 F-Pace today. Nice 130 mile trip home to get used to it.
When parking up at home I realised the front or rear sensors do not work (camera does). The car icon with the P inside has a red line through it, the speaker icon has a line through it, the distance sensor icon below it is greyed out and the PDC button does not work.

Other than that its great!!
Any ideas.

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Probably has a failed parking sensor, which will typically disable the system. Needs a convo with the supplying dealer on how they would like to fix. Needs a scan of the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) with a Jaguar dedicated scanner though to determine the exact failure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a mate to scan using his Snap On scanner. Threw up 28 faults (inc every parking sensor saying 'bus off'). He thinks that a lot of the faults could be linked to the parking sensors.
We looked a bit further and found masking tape lines on the inside of the front bumper so wonder if the bumper has been off for painting and the sensors have not been reset.
It's made me start looking at other things now and one that has worried me is that the oil level gauge was showing as in the red (no low oil pressure light though). Had to use it last night so topped up until gauge went yellow.
Think it needs to go into Jaguar for a full diagnostics. I have said this much to the selling (independent) dealer, just waiting for them to get back to me.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Issues like this are going to be an increasing irritation as the cars get older, not just JLR, electronics are so complex independant dealers are often unable to fix them. Used car warranties are often very restrictive, some excluding electronic failures, the main dealer can of course fix them - at a cost.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would be careful going to a 2nd garage, as soon as you do that, that's the opportunity for the selling dealer to step back.
seen it time and time again on these forums. Go to a second dealer for an independent assessment and the original dealer can claim someone else has been at it.
Unless relations are in the pan, i think it is only fair to give the original a chance

·
Registered
79 Posts
As you've identified the faults on the day the car was bought, the dealer cannot dispute the faults were present when the car was sold. You must now allow the supplying dealer to fix these faults, it's a pain as clearly they are some distance from you, but that's the downside of not buying locally. The dealer has one chance to fix, after this you may reject the car, though actually getting the dealer to refund could be tricky. All depends how "nice" the dealer wants to play. You'll need to get the car back to them and be left while they attempt to fix, so you'll likely need transport back home, then back again to collect. Unless of course, the dealer is willing for you to take the car to a more local garage for the repairs and they'll settle the bill. If this, then get it in writing, including any limits in costs or other restrictions of limitations.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer has said they will take the car back to fix and supply a courtesy car (smart 44). Quite happy for them to do that but the thought of a potential 260 mile round trip in the smart doesn't exactly fill me glee (have suggested they collect from me). It will also be 2 days off work (self employed so have to factor that in as well) and I don't have any free days for the next couple of weeks, also need the passenger & luggage capacity this Saturday so can't even go then.
My issue is that the car was quite obviously not prepped before sale as the oil & parking sensor issues would have been found (as would the food stain behind the passenger grab handle).
Not sure that the after sales guy I'm speaking to realises that I live so far as he says everything as if I'm local so I've suggested that at the very least let me put into Jaguar this end for a full diagnostic and then go from there.
Lets see what they say today.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I tend to buy my used cars from anywhere in the country in order to get the required spec, but I do then have to accept major disruption should it need to be returned for any reason. Thankfully, my latest, the F-Pace, has a Jaguar used warranty so any Jaguar approved garage can take the work. But that was purchased from a dealer several hours drive away. Hopefully you and your dealer will work an amicable solution.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My second option was approved used but the spec wasn't as good. Beginning to think I made the wrong choice 🤔
Hopefully they will come good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts