Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having decided to go for a 2.0D FPace, I'm trying to decide whether to go for the fixed panoramic sunroof (either as an option on the RSport, or as standard on a Portfolio)

I'm still undecided - during a test drive on a Portfolio with fixed sunroof I could detect slightly more road noise than on a Q5 I had test driven a couple of weeks earlier) , and I'm hoping that cabin will be quieter still without sunroof. I am also considering also going for the infrared reflective windscreen, for similar reasons - the configurator description indicates that this will also contribute to a quieter cabin.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I went for the pano simply to open up the roof and add light into the cabin when required.
For me it's a worth thing to have and added straight away. I guess it's possible there is a touch more noise but never thought about it and haven't compared. Wouldn't more noise come from windows on side and road noise

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mbadger - I agree the pano would open up the roof and add light, and I guess would make car more desirable for resale in future. If I don't go for the pano, I'd have to opt for the oyster headlining to try to keep the upper cabin brighter. My current car has a sliding sunroof, but I hardly use it, and in fact I keep the blinds closed on it most of the time - but the blinds are the perforated mesh style ones which let some light in when shut, whereas on the FPace the pano blind is "blackout" style, if I recall correctly.

Not sure how much external noise would be entering via side windows versus pano roof or windscreen.

G

·
Loved the pano in my Evoque so got it on my F-Pace.
It adds so much light that it's really useful.
Also on the F-Pace the blind is perforated which was not the case on the Evoque.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Would not bother having the opening one as as you get that crossbar spoiling rear passenger view and the opener only provides a tiny opening when retracted.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Size is everything ;-)

I had a full length opening fabric sunroof on my 1983 MG Maestro. God that was damn awful (the car not the sunroof..loved the sunroof..oh and the voice synthesizer! That was cool! Well I was 17.)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a sliding pano roof on my original spec as I really liked the idea of it - I then had the chance to drive a demo vehicle with a sliding pano and it looked truly amazing from the back seats, a great view and a really airy feel. But as soon as I got in the drivers seat, I couldn't tell whether the roof was pano or not as its leading edge is set slightly behind the drivers eye-line - all the light was coming from the front and sides. From the driving seat, I really couldn't tell whether there was a pano roof in place or not... as such, I couldn't justify to myself the extra expense for something that I wouldn't even notice so decided not to go for it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When speccing the interior I always wanted jet seats and headlining, with privacy glass. Then I test drove an XE with all black interior and was struck by how dark it was inside. The panoramic roof always gives you the option to let more light in and enjoy the sunny weather when we have it.

Also most extras on this car are nice to have. Now I don't know your financial situation but if you can afford it and want it - get it! If you cant afford it but want it - either sacrifice something else or forget it! I chose to do the latter with the LED lights and 22 ins in order to get the paint job and pano.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Got to say I do agree with your thinking on this ASM33, and if your car had been spec'd with Jet/Red seats it would possibly be the total all-round package that would make me enviously think "hmm, wish I'd gone for that after all!", but hey, the Jet seats with the Oyster stitching detail look very fine too! You've chosen a great colour which will look super-sharp partnered with the Blk/pk, very nice wheels and some tasteful additional options. Your cat is gonna be quite the beast! So I already know I'm looking forward to seeing your pics in due course . . the really hard bit is how we've just got to be patient 'til the big day arrives for each of us!

·
Registered
24 Posts
" But as soon as I got in the drivers seat, I couldn't tell whether the roof was pano or not as its leading edge is set slightly behind the drivers eye-line - all the light was coming from the front and sides. From the driving seat, I really couldn't tell whether there was a pano roof in place or not... as such, I couldn't justify to myself the extra expense for something that I wouldn't even notice so decided not to go for it."

Completely agree nut I went for it for my baby girl , she loves to look around.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for the responses. pano seems to be a great asset to the car especially for passengers view/feeling of light/space. Just trying to deterimine if there is any downside to it in terms of increased cabin noise/ more high -up weight etc. and whether or not the pros outweigh the cons.

I have plenty of time to decide, with a build date of August for September delivery. Dealer says there's no rush for final config , and has not heard of the rumoured price increases. But I definitely want to order before any price increase does come through.

The cost of pano is not a big factor, given the list of other add-ons I have decided on

Black pack,
10 way electrically adjustable seats.
Meridian 825 ( audiophile )
Adaptive Dynamics (do 18K miles commute per year)
Electrically Deployable towbar (we are caravanners)
HUD Pack
Rear Camera,
Power fold mirrors,
High mileage service pack

·
Registered
195 Posts
When I bought my Evoque two years ago, I recall that there was a lot of discussion on that forum about excessive noise from the solid (metal) roof when it rained - the glass panoramic roof was much quieter!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's interesting Mondeoman, I hadn't considered that - not that it rains much here in Scotland :)

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Mondeoman said:
When I bought my Evoque two years ago, I recall that there was a lot of discussion on that forum about excessive noise from the solid (metal) roof when it rained - the glass panoramic roof was much quieter!
My RRE has the pano, my colleagues does not. I swear mine is quieter :?

·
Registered
453 Posts
My F Pace has a pano roof, non sunroof option, didnt want the opener as when water froze in the gaps in the winter the creaks and groans you can hear were not so good, also the F Pace is much quieter i dont notice any noise from above, only from around the windows same as on any other car....
I was initially disappointed that the roof opening was just behind my eye line when in driving seat, but its actually an advantage as in the Freelander the sun high in the sky when in the right orientation used to shine through the roof and even the blind and be a little dazzling. On the whole im very happy with the non opening panoramic.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Shaunyt said:
My F Pace has a pano roof, non sunroof option, didnt want the opener as when water froze in the gaps in the winter the creaks and groans you can hear were not so good,
Hi Shaunyt ... where have you heard this happening? I've had two previous JLR products with opening sunroofs owned over a 5 year period in total and never experienced this once. Do you live in Iceland? I would have hoped given all the cold weather testing they've done this wouldn't be a problem ... hang on what am I saying ... testing ... creaky rear end ... hmmmm! Anyway would seem like a step backwards.

Shaunyt said:
On the whole im very happy with the non opening panoramic.
It was going to be my choice too (having it on the RRE) but in the end went for opening because I prefer fresh air to air-conditioning and often find myself driving around with a window tweaked down. As it was only £300 more (bargain given some of the option prices) I went for it ... but wouldn't have done if it was any more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts